You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

17 hours ago, Kevin D said:

In terms of personality traits, Trump may be the most uniquely awful person in the entire world. However, you cant complain about a post-truth world, or lament the lack of faith in experts and reputable media sources without being honest. And honestly, watching him mock his political enemies is pretty entertaining. He's mocking them for the wrong reasons - namely, he's a piece of shit racist con man - but watching an interview knowing that the President of the United States might accuse one of his rivals of being high as a kite and hepped up on goofballs has a timeless prurient curiosity to it.

Check out michael moore's film Fahrenheit 11/9, he basically says he learned all that from being on WWF. That's what the Kim Jong Un rocket man panto villain stuff is about, the nicknames, the baying crowds.

51 minutes ago, Anubis said:

It’s real. We have our own, they just tend to confine themselves to radio phone ins.

I think one of the problems has been the explosion of conspiracy theory podcasts and shows, a few BBC types were slagging it off a while back for broadcasting a show by that Scarlatt Moffat about conspiracy theories and apparently she doesn't believe man went to the moon.

It sounds harmless but I think there's a drip drip effect and in the states especially, the reasons behind them are sinister.

They're designed to make you reject things which are sensible so before long, you reject everything that doesn't suit your world view or anything your chosen horse in the political race tells you to reject.

Remember in the 90s and one of the reasons the X Files was so popular was because the notion of government conspiracies was novel, these days there are people who actually once again believe the world is flat. 

I suppose when you're a part of a system that's actually eroded people's standard of living away to the point they may be on the verge of putting your head on a pike, your very last resort is to actually actively change their perception of reality. That's why the likes of Dominic Cummings and Fox News presenters have jobs at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 13/09/2020 at 23:07, Kevin D said:

We're anywhere between 3-6 months away from the majority of the public being convinced that Covid-19 is a population control related 5G hox; at that point, all bets are off.

I've been listening to some wild fucking shit from solid, respectable mates of mine since July. 

Not arseholes by any stretch of the imagine. Nurses, doctors, solicitors who think Johnson is full of shit and aren't really sure where to digest credible information.

The amount of damage Facebook in particular has wreaked on our societies is almost incalculable at this point.

I have a good friend, a very smart man with a medical degree, and he is all the way down the looking glass with COVID conspiracies. He has literally gone to great expense and trouble to import 100 doses of hydroxychloroquine from Mexico which he is 100% convinced will keep him safe if he falls ill.

Again, this is not some slobbering lunatic, the man is a career medical professional in his 50s. I talk to him about anything else and he's completely normal, then the topic veers anywhere near coronavirus and it's like he's possessed by the spirit of another person. All down to the steady drip of conspiracy theories on his Facebook feed.

• Upvote 3

Why can't conspiracy theories go back to being about cool things like the Loch Ness monster, big foot, Roswell and the JFK assassination. 

They were fucking great then. 

Imagine X - Files today, it would all be 24 episode series on bloody covid

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheBitch said:

I proper burst out laughing at the old dear shouting “child molestors love ‘em”. 

there was a mixtape 25 years back by Justin Robertson, a Journey by DJ taster. Anyway it sampled some old American woman, talking about Jimm Carter taking over a one world government - sounded like the same woman, they must beed the mad fuckers that way.

Found side A:

We had a heavy weekend, Cream all nighter (I think) on the Friday, Saturday at the 051, then Sunday we decided to take acid and drive to Rhyll. Happened to be Easter Sunday, so one of the lads brought a shit load of chocolate - when we played the tape and he was mashed, he lost his shit and ended up puking. Another fella was trying to take rush on the waltzers and ended up pouring it all over his lip - he was a bit of a strange fucker, from Skem or somewhere up there.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Moo said:

Like many of us I'm sure, I desperately hope he is ousted in November.  But I can't lie, I will miss the endless comedy he provides, the horrible bastard.

You'll be able to watch it on the new series of Orange Is The New Black - a reality show where he spends all his time complaining about how unfairly he's been treated.