You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I find it all a bit hilarious the way Republicand talk about the founding fathers with the 2nd ammendment and push God at every opportunity

Then there is this

I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should ‘make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,’ thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.”

1 hour ago, Em City said:

If you want a good analysis of the Christian American Right, read 'American Fascists' by Chris Hedges. He's a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist with a degree in Divinity from Harvard so he's especially well placed to call them out as the charlatans they are.

The model is basically parasitic mega pastors co-opting the Bible to extort money from their followers, most of whom find religion and dogma as a release from their past and current lives of trauma and poverty. These people are very influential and insidious and their stated aim is to turn the United States I to a far right Christian theocracy.

Great book that. Hedges is ace.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I think the Americans have perfected the use of religion to plug gaps in the American dream. You see whole Midwest towns that are literally in ruins but there's still churches on every corner, propagating the belief that if your lot is shit it's not because uncle Sam squeezed your balls, it's because you didn't have sufficient faith or leave enough in the collection box. Yes your lot is shit now, but keep coming to church and one day the bank will give you your farm back.

I've looked for a video but can find it but I'm always reminded about the aftermath of a hurricane in one of the big christian states about 20 years ago.

After the winds had dies down, one city/town was descended on by the usual media frenzies looking for a survival story. One youngish woman was being questioned by the TV man and he asked, 'when you look around at the destruction of the town, do you thank god you managed to survive ?

The woman looked awkwardly at the camera and said through gritted teeth said, eerrrrrm, actually, I don't believe in God'.

This didn't go down to well with a lot of the towns folk who then went on pitch fork mode.

Anyway, some TV comic bloke picked up on this and started up a fund raiser for her. About two weeks later, he turned up with a camera crew and presented her with one of those oversized cheques worth about $250.000. This was all done in front of a load of the towns folk who were queuing up to be fed at a makeshift soup wagon.

All goes to prove, God does indeed move in mysterious ways. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Em City said:

If you want a good analysis of the Christian American Right, read 'American Fascists' by Chris Hedges. He's a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist with a degree in Divinity from Harvard so he's especially well placed to call them out as the charlatans they are.

The model is basically parasitic mega pastors co-opting the Bible to extort money from their followers, most of whom find religion and dogma as a release from their past and current lives of trauma and poverty. These people are very influential and insidious and their stated aim is to turn the United States I to a far right Christian theocracy.

I've said it for ages, Margaret Atwood predicted America's future years ago!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Isn't he the one with the private jet?

Apparently many of the wealthy Romans didn't even believe in the gods, they just thought it was a good way to string the plebs along.

I’ve been watching a fair whack of theological debates online recently - decent to watch on then bike trainer while locked down.

‘The hierarchical approach of gods amongst pagans in Ancient Rome and Greece was scorned by monotheists and I remember it from school history (Christian  brothers school) that the scorn lasted to the present that they would pray for  different things for different gods.

Then I thought back to my Nan, who used to do Novenas to different saints for different shit, and how there is a patron saint for archery, one for the sick, one for the poor, and it’s the same gig as the pagans repackaged.

I think the idea of God has changed a lot since Roman times, they were believed to have once been mortal, the omnipotent father in the sky thing is a bit later.

Francesca Stavrokopoulois has a book coming out later this year on the body of god. Should be good, she’s fucking smart and tasty.

One of the main reasons the evangelicals support him is that he's given them 2 supreme court judges who are both extreme right wingers themselves and are both vehemently pro life. They see that as the key to instigating their word view and abortion is the highest on their list of priorities to get overturned. I'm amazed it hasn't already happened, but roe v wade will be tested severely if the orangutan gets in again.

That cunt jerry fallwell was one of the key men to organise the Christian right into the most powerful voting block in America in the 50s and 60s and they've infested American politics ever since. They've played a brilliant long game to give them their dues and they have been proselytising to their flock for years on who to vote for, contrary to all laws that prohibit that.

What a completely fucked up country and its only going to get worse, no matter what side wins

8 hours ago, niallers said:

One of the main reasons the evangelicals support him is that he's given them 2 supreme court judges who are both extreme right wingers themselves and are both vehemently pro life. They see that as the key to instigating their word view and abortion is the highest on their list of priorities to get overturned. I'm amazed it hasn't already happened, but roe v wade will be tested severely if the orangutan gets in again.

That cunt jerry fallwell was one of the key men to organise the Christian right into the most powerful voting block in America in the 50s and 60s and they've infested American politics ever since. They've played a brilliant long game to give them their dues and they have been proselytising to their flock for years on who to vote for, contrary to all laws that prohibit that.

What a completely fucked up country and its only going to get worse, no matter what side wins

DD8A6BE4-033A-40CD-9626-D13AA84DB6BB.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Trumps post convention survey. Just in case you think it's a piss take, it's not. Well it is, but it's not meant to be.

https://gop.com/mainstream-media-accountability-survey/

Where’s the Do you believe Donald J. Trump is a lying, racist, sexist, fascist piece of shit who is not fit to hold the office of President of the United States of America question?