You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The fascinating but scary thing about the Republicans and the Tories, and the narrative is the same, is that they've had to reinvent themselves but they're becoming a genuinely dangerous threat to their own countries (as has been proven, not just with the virus but with the allegations of breaking bread with the likes of the Russians if the price is right). 

They used to rely on conservatism, i,e  the idea that the were people - usually old and rich - who wanted their version of their country kept the same. Shooting deer in Kentucky, walks along the prom in Margate, nice big house and plenty in the bank and if you're not in my club, bollocks to you. 

Now, as the middle class become more diverse and in tune to liberal ideology (the environment, opposing racism and homophobia etc - so much so that even mega corporations are chasing the social responsibility dollar) where do they go for votes?

What they've done, and done brilliantly, is they've doubled back, they've absolutely bamboozled the left and the liberals by essentially picking up a blue collar army of people, most of whom owe their bad fortunes to that very fucking party in the first place. How have they done it? With division and hate. Racism, misogynism (I read somewhere that pivoting towards misogynistic language was actually something right wing leaders had been advised to do via various studies). Their other weapons are untruth, sowing confusion, attacking the press, and rallying the support of right wing extremist views and alt news sources and social media. The more they feel their position is under threat the more they'll double down, because they have no argument, their argument has been provably lost by the sheer sight of the economic, social and spiritual ruins we walk amongst. 

Acts of civil disorder are pretty much all anyone else has until they can both be overpowered via the ballot box, which may be a painful journey to reach indeed and will almost certainly involve voter suppression, cries of conspiracy and betrayal, and anything else they've got in the playbook.  

The shifty bastards use Patriotism as their main weapon as well. Pass the blame onto easy targets and then claim those who stick up for them are being traitors, yet it those cunts who are in charge of Immigration and where the immigrants settle. Straight out of the book of Göring quotes. 

''Göring: Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.''

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Hilary and Trump are both cunts but the lesson for the future here is that it's probably better not to elect the intellectually inferior cunt. 

Hmmm? Hilary? Trump, Trumpy, Hilary?  Go on give me a clue.

10 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Remember those posters who said Hilary was dangerous?  

I think it comes down to where the chaos either of them would inflict would land. I've said in the past I think that Trump could be a nightmare domestically but could be better for the rest of the world, and Clinton could've been a lot better domestically (she'd have surely dealt with this pandemic a lot better for a start) but places like the Middle East could've been in total chaos now.

So in that sense, Trump ironically is more like China to me. A nightmare for so many of his own people but doesn't cause so much shit abroad. And Clinton would've been more like, well the US. Things kind of stagnate as usual domestically but one or more other countries could've suffered badly from wars/airstrikes inflicted on them.

I'm not saying any of this is right, just how I've thought it might've turned out. And let's not forget Trump still has months in office so could still unleash hell in some other country yet. He did run on saying the wars weren't helping though and is close to another election, would be kind of self-defeating if he threw that away now when he could use it to his advantage so much in the election.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but was also going to say even that isn't saying much, because Trump has still caused a lot of shit abroad, even if it hasn't been open warfare. Sanctions, drone bombings have been at their highest rates ever I think, and there's other crap he's done as well that I can't think of off the top of my head.

So I'm not saying Trump has been some type of guardian angel for the rest of the world. He's basically a fucking nightmare but has stopped short of causing open warfare on another country. If we were to know the full effects of sanctions in places like Iran and Venezuela though along with the other stuff he's done there's still going to be a lot of misery and death he's inflicted.

No comparison between Hilary and Trump in terms of the shitstorms. As with Biden, Hilary isn't as big a problem as trump because she would have been surrounded by professionals, not making decisions based on a rush of blood after watching fox and friends and taking advice on virology from Jared Kushner, a property developer. 

Anyone who doesn't think this is the shittest world leader of a major power since caligula needs to get a grip.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

No comparison between Hilary and Trump in terms of the shitstorms. As with Biden, Hilary isn't as big a problem as trump because she would have been surrounded by professionals, not making decisions based on a rush of blood after watching fox and friends and taking advice on virology from Jared Kushner, a property developer. 

Anyone who doesn't think this is the shittest world leader of a major power since caligula needs to get a grip.

I know she'd have been surrounded by professionals but you could say the same for recent dem presidents and many other countries have still suffered wars inflicted on them. Anyway I was only saying how I thought things might've turned out and this pandemic has made things a whole lot worse which like I said, I'm sure Clinton would've been a lot better with.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I think America would be a better place for letting go of this myth they've wrapped themselves up in that their president is the 'leader of the free world'.

Did this shit start after their input into the second world war ? 

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I think America would be a better place for letting go of this myth they've wrapped themselves up in that their president is the 'leader of the free world'.

Did this shit start after their input into the second world war ? 

There could be something in that. It might be a valid argument to say that Harry S Truman authorising the atomic bombings on Japanese soil was America's statement to the world that they were not to be fucked with. They've been falling over themselves ever since trying to prevent other countries from making a similar statement.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's astonishing that a country founded on rebellion is filled with people so deferential to authority. Usually despots have secret police, state organs of terror to keep people in line, but in the states it's just fear of losing your job. It's not even that he's doing and saying cuntish things, he's clearly mentally ill or in a state of late stage dementia. He talks about people drinking bleach on presidential addresses and nobody says anything because they want to keep their job. He could walk in, start pissing on the oval office carpet, shout "let's go to Mars!" Then go to bed and eat cheeseburgers and people would just say "thank you mr president".

Astonishing and cowardly.

Are you saying a 40 year old Trump wouldan’ t have advocated drinking bleach? I’m not so sure, I think he’s always been a fucking dangerous idiot, just now he has been elected King of the dangerous idiots with all the toys. He could well have mental issues, but that could also be attributed to whatever he has been snaffling chemically for the last 40 years. 

13 hours ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

No doubt whose side Trump will always be on...May 1st, 1989

970.jpg?width=1920&quality=85&auto=forma

He’s very proud of that sharpie signature, must have took him years to get the spelling and all that shit together.