You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Pistons milkshake brings all the birds to the yard 

Or in the case of the birds that visit our garden it's my seed. 

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I reckon Trump is the apotheosis of this saying in the modern world.

Even an evil shit show like Twitter - the sort of place that allows public bullying and nastiness that would make people jump off bridges - suddenly becomes Florence Nightingale because it calls out one of Trump's 4 billion lies, for which it has, hitherto, arguably been the world's foremost platform.

• Upvote 1

Do genuinely wonder if America needs an external bad guy in order to succeed. It's got so many different groups of people, races, outlooks, religions, what binds them together is a flag and an exterior villain. You had the Commies for fifty years, a brief interlude and then Bin Laden. Trump has tried to stoke the China thing but most people aren't falling for it because their food is too nice and they make iPhones. Take that grout away though and what happens to the cinder blocks. 

Just now, Section_31 said:

Do genuinely wonder if America needs a bad guy to succeed. It's got so many different groups of people, races, outlooks, religions, what binds them together is a flag and an exterior bad guy. You had the Commies for fifty years, a brief interlude and then Bin Laden. Trump has tried to stoke the China thing but most people aren't falling for it because their food is too nice and they make iPhones. Take that grout away though and what happens to the cinder blocks. 

As some have said, if you want the best person for the job, democracy isn't the answer.

20 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Re: the fact checked post, the policy was only brought in in March 2020. Twitter introduced a Civic Integrity Policy stating that they will provide an alternative/additional context to tweets relating to the 2020 Presidential Election which contain "synthetic or manipulated media."

I agree that they shouldn't have tolerated his past shit either. But, he's breached a new policy. Action has been taken. His opinion can still be seen. There's no issue. Twitter are a commercial entity. If they don't want to have their reputation damaged as being seen as a platform which allows politicians to spread incorrect information, they're entitled to take steps to do that. Trump can always set up his own website if he wants a platform to post misleading claims, without clarification. 

I can only welcome their intention to fact check and provide alternative view on everything which will be said in the 2020 election, but somehow I doubt they will be able to do that.  

On the violence inducing tweet, as far as I can see from the media, they first blocked it than made it visible in the public interest or something. And that is sort of my point, it is not their role to block stupid or harmful stuff US President comes up with, public should know what Trump is saying (tweeting). It's up to the public to react. The problem is not so much that you are effectively de-platforming the US President, the problem is that you have the US President that you feel needs de-platforming.  And it shouldn't be Twitter's decision, the public has a right to know he wrote that tweet and be able to see it.  

20 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I can only welcome their intention to fact check and provide alternative view on everything which will be said in the 2020 election, but somehow I doubt they will be able to do that.  

On the violence inducing tweet, as far as I can see from the media, they first blocked it than made it visible in the public interest or something. And that is sort of my point, it is not their role to block stupid or harmful stuff US President comes up with, public should know what Trump is saying (tweeting). It's up to the public to react. The problem is not so much that you are effectively de-platforming the US President, the problem is that you have the US President that you feel needs de-platforming.  And it shouldn't be Twitter's decision, the public has a right to know he wrote that tweet and be able to see it.  

Like I said, the tweet was from his personal account, not the POTUS account.  Also, they didn't take it down; they put the equivalent of NSFW tags on it: "this tweet contravenes our policies, but if you want to see it, click here".  The public still get to know what Trump is tweeting, but the they also get to know that the Twitter rules that apply to everyone else can also be applied to him.  As someone who has been booted off Twitter (for merely telling George Osborne to "fuck off and die") I don't consider these flags on two of Trump's personal tweets as "deplatforming".

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I was just watching ET with the kids actually. Back from when America actually was great!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/7121+Lonzo+St,+Tujunga,+CA+91042,+USA/@34.2706871,-118.2881993,147m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c2eca55ea245b5:0xb7cc65acb8ac9e6d!8m2!3d34.27088!4d-118.287408

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Do the "some" who said it include Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, Mao, Mussolini, Daphne off Eggheads, etc?

Hitler was voted for, so I suspect he was happy enough with voting and populism initially.

No, I was thinking more along the lines of "intellectual" social commentators... who see people like Boris Johnson, Trump, George W. Bush, Tony Blair etc elected... and contemplate.

I'm happy enough with democracy... trouble is, you have to take the good with the bad.

Mostly bad.

14 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Like I said, the tweet was from his personal account, not the POTUS account.  Also, they didn't take it down; they put the equivalent of NSFW tags on it: "this tweet contravenes our policies, but if you want to see it, click here".  The public still get to know what Trump is tweeting, but the they also get to know that the Twitter rules that apply to everyone else can also be applied to him.  As someone who has been booted off Twitter (for merely telling George Osborne to "fuck off and die") I don't consider these flags on two of Trump's personal tweets as "deplatforming".

Are his POTUS tweets more Lincolnian or Kennedian than his grimy personal account ones?

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Yeah, but it would require a considerable level of political naivety to believe they were tagging all tweets that needed tagging that day and someone said, oh, look this one's from Trump.

I think they should not meddle. The user should remain responsible for the content, otherwise you open a can of worms, which Trump's executive order is now contributing towards.

And I wouldn't ban you for that.

10 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Awesome! Still looks the same too, although maybe a new swimming pool.

Boss isn't it. Imagine living there! Yeah the pool wasn't in the film. Shame really. 

I lose myself for ages on Google maps. I "drove" from that house into Central LA on there once. Took me about an hour. Worth it though. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Boss isn't it. Imagine living there! Yeah the pool wasn't in the film. Shame really. 

I lose myself for ages on Google maps. I "drove" from that house into Central LA on there once. Took me about an hour. Worth it though. 

Yes, traffic is always bad in LA.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The irony of the fella who has abused social media the most - and gained the most from that abuse - now trying this fuckwittery is very bigly.

Not to mention, biting the hand that has fed his impropriety in a sumptuous and princely fashion.

52 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Yeah, but it would require a considerable level of political naivety to believe they were tagging all tweets that needed tagging that day and someone said, oh, look this one's from Trump.

I think they should not meddle. The user should remain responsible for the content, otherwise you open a can of worms, which Trump's executive order is now contributing towards.

And I wouldn't ban you for that.

It's a bit of a leap to claim he's being deplatformed when, through all his years of hateful bullshit, he has never had a single tweet removed.

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's a bit of a leap to claim he's being deplatformed when, through all his years of hateful bullshit, he has never had a single tweet removed.

True, but if you consider the importance of the channel for him and see this as a potential start of the process, it is not such a (beep) giant leap, more of a (beep) small step.