You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Tremendous, sometimes you just have to throw your hands up and say "fuck it"

I don’t know what Kellyanne did to her deranged loser of a husband, Moonface, but it must have been really bad

Yep.  I've viewed Trump purely as a comedy character for a number of months now, it really helps. 

• Upvote 1

Not enough popcorn in the world for the coming days. Read somewhere Florida and Texas are seeing upticks in infections and in a trajectory for hospitalizations that will overwhelm their health care system.

He’s obsessed with having the NFL and college football stands full and his rallies as well. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Shame we cant do an exchange deal. We take American lady journalists and they take ours. I bet Trumpy would love to send Paula Reid over here in a straight swap for our Laura, not sure Boris would be pleased though,

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/14/trump-paula-reid-coronavirus-briefing-female-reporters

Honest to god, if it wasn't such a threat to life and the world then he would be the greatest comedy character of all time. 

"Mr President why did you make that decision that has caused an extra 10,000 deaths?" 

"You used to pick your nose in class, its fine, everybody knows it, its fake you're fake, were doing a great job, next question" 

"But mr Pre..."

"No no no, you're evil, its evil, I have questions for you. Were doing a great job, we are ahead of CH CH Chyyyna CHINA. Next question.... John?" 

13 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Is he getting his Sharpie* out again? 

I still don't know how that isn't still headline news.  It was remarkable. Utterly mad, and utterly remarkable (pun intended after I read it back).

The amount of "that should have been the end of it" moments Trump has had in his 3 1/2 years is remarkable.  Every President added together and multiplied by 2.  It's mental.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Shame we cant do an exchange deal. We take American lady journalists and they take ours. I bet Trumpy would love to send Paula Reid over here in a straight swap for our Laura, not sure Boris would be pleased though,

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/14/trump-paula-reid-coronavirus-briefing-female-reporters

The yanks like to bleat about how their journalists are better than ours, and while I don't disagree (or don't care enough to think about it) they basically made Donald Trump. They were actively encouraged by the Democrats to give him air  time as they thought it'd be his undoing and draw the other Republicans further to the right, leading to them too making stupid and unelectable statements. Other networks just gave him air time because he brought in viewers and hence money. 

Our media is largely shit because most reporters can't afford to stay in the job and wind up doing PR for Lever Brothers just to keep the lights on, which leaves middle class types to dominate (people who often have the same views, friends, backgrounds as politicians), the American media is shite because they're money mad. They pioneered showbiz sensationalism and packaged it up as journalism (CNN's finest sat in the back of tanks during Operation Desert Liberation or some shit being spoonfed press releases by the army corps of PR). Said reporting is later turned into a book and gets a Pulitzer prize. 

Journalism isn't a meritocracy, if it was, Kelvin McKenzie wouldn't be a millionaire and John Pilger wouldn't be driving a Volvo. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The yanks like to bleat about how their journalists are better than ours, and while I don't disagree (or don't care enough to think about it) they basically made Donald Trump. They were actively encouraged by the Democrats to give him air  time as they thought it'd be his undoing and draw the other Republicans further to the right, leading to them too making stupid and unelectable statements. Other networks just gave him air time because he brought in viewers and hence money. 

Our media is largely shit because most reporters can't afford to stay in the job and wind up doing PR for Lever Brothers just to keep the lights on, which leaves middle class types to dominate (people who often have the same views, friends, backgrounds as politicians), the American media is shite because they're money mad. They pioneered showbiz sensationalism and packaged it up as journalism (CNN's finest sat in the back of tanks during Operation Desert Liberation or some shit being spoonfed press releases by the army corps of PR). Said reporting is later turned into a book and gets a Pulitzer prize. 

Journalism isn't a meritocracy, if it was, Kelvin McKenzie wouldn't be a millionaire and John Pilger wouldn't be driving a Volvo. 

I reckon Pilger would probably still be driving a Volvo though.

20 hours ago, Section_31 said:

A couple of points here  its excepted that American journalists and journalism is partizan, in their defence they dont hide and they dont deny it, to coin s phrase 'the name is on the tin' . Whilst ours try to give of air of grandeur and impartiality, when nothing could be further from the truth, our media are full of upper middle class charlatans who have no interest in their profession or basic honesty, their goal is to preserve their own little niche and prop up the establishment. I struggle to think of a mainstream journalist who would dream of standing up and asking the questions American journalists ask of trump, even if they wanted to they wouldn't have the balls. Plus we actually pay for the so called journalists at the bbc.

I see your.point about American rolling news and how it's all about entertainment and ratings, in the 24 hours they throw up any shit to fill the time. Whilst we are in no way as sensationalist as the yanks we e got our faults here as well, the beeb gave a platform and helped cultivate the image of Johnson, Farage, Hopkins etc , all were given huge amounts of air time by our whiter than white national broadcaster. 

As for "dont care enough to think about it" this is what they want, this is why they get away with shunting the nhs down the pecking order in every election, whilst the views of big business get 3 days airtime. The bbc are just a government mouthpiece and they no longer try to act impartial because no one cares. A small example of the power of a good journalist was when a local reporter broke through the mainstream glass curtain and asked Johnson a few questions about the state of the nhs and showed him a picture of a kid sleeping on a floor, Johnson was fucked, flummoxed, stopped in his tracks  toung tied, did not know how to react or what the fuck to say, he panicked and put the reporters phone in his pocket. He was so used to getting an easy ride from Kuenssberg and co on his bus he didnt know where to turn.  The bbc should have been asking them questions, it's our BBC and it's our NHS, spare us the false love now we needed questions asked then, when 160 doctors wrote a letter warning of dire consequences ahead because of government policy and it didnt make a headline, that's when the bbc should have shown a bit of concern.

You may notice how Johnson when realising hes going to finally in this election campaign be asked a few relevant questions he refers to his crutch the bbc, as if they asked a few soft questions and that's the end of the matter.  The clip above shows the power of an impartial media.

I know the yanks are not impartial and are on the whole full.of shit but I'd still take their journalists over ours in a heartbeat.

With regard to Kuenssberg not being particularly bothered by the boy on the hospital floor story, she largely ignored it. She did not miss out on this 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tories-accused-of-lying-about-matt-hancock-adviser-being-hit-by-labour-protester-outside-hospital-a4309156.html

The original made up story she swallowed hook line and sinker and made sure it was plastered all over her twitter feed and the bbc news. The connective truth found about as much of her time as the sick child on a hospital floor, very little.