You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Ooohhh - quid pro quo. I'm sorry I misunderstood you the first time"

In a significant reversal, a top US diplomat has changed his testimony in the impeachment inquiry to now admit there was a quid pro quo linking US aid to Ukraine with an investigation into President Donald Trump's political rival.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Is anything likely to happen with all this, or is it just the usual- brief excitement in the press followed by fuck all?

No, because the Senate is controlled by the legion of doom, and if he's impeached in the house, the trial is in the Senate and needs a 2/3s majority to oust the orangutan. Never going to happen given his base doesn't care what he does and the rest of the party have to support him or he'll get them unelected.

• Upvote 1

Just now, niallers said:

No, because the Senate is controlled by the legion of doom, and if he's impeached in the house, the trial is in the Senate and needs a 2/3s majority to oust the orangutan. Never going to happen given his base doesn't care what he does and the rest of the party have to support him or he'll get them unelected.

Thought so. So loads of noise and fury and then nothing.

9 hours ago, Mudface said:

Thought so. So loads of noise and fury and then nothing.

It's not as clear cut as that. If sufficient evidence comes to light then it puts the Republicans in a corner. Do they continue to support him knowing that voters are increasingly siding with the prospect of impeachment or do they get him out and replace him while they can?

More evidence needs to come to light for sure but at the very worst the Democrats will drag it out into the re-election campaign to damage him.

1 hour ago, M_B said:

It's not as clear cut as that. If sufficient evidence comes to light then it puts the Republicans in a corner. Do they continue to support him knowing that voters are increasingly siding with the prospect of impeachment or do they get him out and replace him while they can?

More evidence needs to come to light for sure but at the very worst the Democrats will drag it out into the re-election campaign to damage him.

In that scenario would he not run as an independent and probably still win?

On 27/04/2019 at 11:29, moof said:

Bloomberg? Kinell mate

On 29/04/2019 at 13:42, Scooby Dudek said:

Bloomberg has already ruled himself out. He believes that a billionaire fiscal conservative, pro business candidate would struggle to get the democratic nomination. 

On 29/04/2019 at 16:00, TheHowieLama said:

Bloomer is a smart fella -- he could win but he could also get hung out to dry.

Not alot of reason other than ego for him to have a go.

More than $166,000 in contributions, mailings and digital ads to help a political newcomer take on a Republican incumbent in a Richmond-area Senate district. More than $146,000 to help an Air Force veteran seek an open Senate seat in a fast-growing suburban county. About $75,000 to target the only Republican representing Northern Virginia in the state's House of Delegates.

On Tuesday in Virginia, all three seats flipped from Republican to Democrat -- after a $2.5 million spending spree in the state by Everytown for Gun Safety, a gun-control group aligned with billionaire former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. The investments made the Bloomberg-affiliated organization the largest outside spender in the elections that saw Democrats take control of the state's executive and legislative branches for the first time in a generation.

5 hours ago, M_B said:

I think this is correct.

The most likely outcome is still that the Republicans in the Senate, with 1-2 exceptions (Romney being one, surprisingly) vote against impeachment, but it is certainly possible that if public opinion sways enough, that they come around. If that happens, it will be 2 or 3 of them making the announcement that they're voting for impeachment which will trigger a stampede of them.

Still, the most likely ending is that the evidence comes out overwhelmingly that Trump committed a crime, Republicans in the Senate bluster to justify it, the media covers it as "both sides are in the wrong," thus ensuring that the public is confused, and then the country eventually moves on. I genuinely think that Trump really could shoot someone on 5th Avenue, as he once bragged he could, and get away with it.

@Ne Moe Imya If McConnell thinks it will cost them a majority in the Senate they will flush Trump faster than he has let Giulani spin down the drain. 

The flip side is how does the Republican party survive after Trump? At best for them it is 5 years - then do they just pretend Trump never happened and try to re-affirm the parties traditional values - or do they have to double down and find someone even Trumpier?

Yeah, I've been saying that for a while.

They're just so short-sighted. In 10 years Trump is going to be reviled worse than Nixon ever was. Almost every Democrat will be able to win any race just by running a few ads where their Republican opponent is hugging Trump, or saying something nice about him, whatever. They're going to have, like, Kasich and Romney, that's it, as far as major figures in the party who aren't tarnished by Trump.

On the other hand, as you say, they might just double down and win even more. We've seen a huge move to the edges (by both political parties, and not just in America) since the advent of social media. Maybe the 35-40% of Americans who really like Trump will win enough elections running Trump-lite candidates to keep the party alive? I would think they'd rather just take a few years of losses, wipe the slate clean, and then run with some candidates who weren't tarred by the Trump brush when that's over with.

Broadly, the thing I'm interested in is whether an "outsider" will have similar success in the future. Big reason people voted for Trump was because he was such a change from the average politician in lots of ways.

Are people tired of that now or can a person that talks like a simpleton and says a bunch of bullshit get into office after this debacle?

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is expected to file for the Alabama state primary, a Bloomberg spokesperson told CNN on Thursday.

Bloomberg said in March that he had decided against running for president in 2020. The New York Times, which first reported the expected Alabama filing, reports Bloomberg has been privately weighing a presidential bid for weeks but has not yet made a final decision.
Bloomberg dispatched staffers to Alabama to get enough signatures to qualify for the primary there, according to the Times. 

1 minute ago, niallers said:

He said last night at a rally in Colorado that he's going to build another big beautiful wall that can't be gotten over or under. Only problem is that Colorado borders NEW Mexico,a full state away from ol' Mexico. 

Genuinely frightening

That was days ago wasn't it? I'm sure I posted about it. Don't tell me he is still saying it and no-one has corrected him .... 

41 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

That was days ago wasn't it? I'm sure I posted about it. Don't tell me he is still saying it and no-one has corrected him .... 

You may have done so,but I didn't check back. And even if he was corrected, he'd just call it fake news and jump back onto the sunbed 

• Upvote 1