You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A foreign service officer resigned from the State Department effective Thursday, writing in a blistering op-ed in The Washington Post that he could no longer serve in "The Complacent State," particularly in the wake of the El Paso mass shooting.

Chuck Park wrote in the op-ed that during his almost 10 years in the foreign service he "worked to spread what (he) believed were American values: freedom, fairness and tolerance."
"But more and more I found myself in a defensive stance, struggling to explain to foreign peoples the blatant contradictions at home," he wrote.
Park said that after the election of President Donald Trump, he had remained "complacent" and had "let career perks silence (his) conscience."
"I let free housing, the countdown to a pension and the prestige of representing a powerful nation overseas distract me from ideals that once seemed so clear to me. I can't do that anymore," Park wrote.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

A foreign service officer resigned from the State Department effective Thursday, writing in a blistering op-ed in The Washington Post that he could no longer serve in "The Complacent State," particularly in the wake of the El Paso mass shooting.

Chuck Park wrote in the op-ed that during his almost 10 years in the foreign service he "worked to spread what (he) believed were American values: freedom, fairness and tolerance."
"But more and more I found myself in a defensive stance, struggling to explain to foreign peoples the blatant contradictions at home," he wrote.
Park said that after the election of President Donald Trump, he had remained "complacent" and had "let career perks silence (his) conscience."
"I let free housing, the countdown to a pension and the prestige of representing a powerful nation overseas distract me from ideals that once seemed so clear to me. I can't do that anymore," Park wrote.

Free housing? fuck me I'd do it.

"Donald Trump is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to". 

Not one for conspiracy theories myself but bloke on suicide watch hangs himself in his cell. How hard can it be to ensure he has nothing to hang himself with or from. They also have these fantastic new inventions called CCTV cameras.  If I didn't know better I would say he may have been assisted/encouraged/pressurised to shuffle off .