You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

18 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I agree there -- both parties have allowed themselves to be re-defined away from center. Makes it easier to identify the other team. My point was the Republican side has sacrificed their core values to do so (other than guns). Dems maybe not so much. 

Hence my statement about a fella like Bloomberg being the best option. The caveat is if he has to run as an Independent because he knows the Dems won't fall behind him that precludes any chance of a Democratic nominee getting elected. 

What you say so far is true, but I also think we've gotten to a point that it won't be the case going forward.

Picture this: it's 2024, after Trump wins reelection in 2020. It's now Pence going up against a Democratic nominee who is an anti-vaxxer nutjob who thinks Bush did 9/11. Or a Democratic nominee with a couple of very serious allegations of sexual assault. I guarantee in that situation the Dems sacrifice their core values just to get a Dem, ANY Dem, into the White House at that point.

The problem is that between social media and the incredible polarisation of society that's happened, no one even has any core values any more. It's just "my team" vs "the bad guys." That's why every single thing that happens immediately has a good guy and a bad guy, long before we know the facts.

Remember the Zimmerman guy that shot a kid in Florida? The instant the story was in the news everyone picked a side, didn't matter at all that there was no way of knowing what had actually happened there because no one saw it. If you were on the left it was Zimmerman the racist wacko and if you were on the right it was a thug black kid who beat him into the ground until he had no choice but to defend himself.

That's just one example, but you could pick hundreds of them. It's getting to the point where civil dialogue isn't even possible any more because everyone is told by the people on their side of the culture divide what to think as soon as anything controversial happens.

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

What you say so far is true, but I also think we've gotten to a point that it won't be the case going forward.

Picture this: it's 2024, after Trump wins reelection in 2020. It's now Pence going up against a Democratic nominee who is an anti-vaxxer nutjob who thinks Bush did 9/11. Or a Democratic nominee with a couple of very serious allegations of sexual assault. I guarantee in that situation the Dems sacrifice their core values just to get a Dem, ANY Dem, into the White House at that point.

The problem is that between social media and the incredible polarisation of society that's happened, no one even has any core values any more. It's just "my team" vs "the bad guys." That's why every single thing that happens immediately has a good guy and a bad guy, long before we know the facts.

Remember the Zimmerman guy that shot a kid in Florida? The instant the story was in the news everyone picked a side, didn't matter at all that there was no way of knowing what had actually happened there because no one saw it. If you were on the left it was Zimmerman the racist wacko and if you were on the right it was a thug black kid who beat him into the ground until he had no choice but to defend himself.

That's just one example, but you could pick hundreds of them. It's getting to the point where civil dialogue isn't even possible any more because everyone is told by the people on their side of the culture divide what to think as soon as anything controversial happens.

Picture this: it's 2024, after Trump wins reelection in 2020..... *ju don't got no future, ju don't got no past - cos the world is fuckkng gohhhn" 

*these are not anti-Semitic slurs, but central american affectations a la al pacino on carlito's way. jur gonna fucking die big time, here come the pain

Bloomberg has already ruled himself out. He believes that a billionaire fiscal conservative, pro business candidate would struggle to get the democratic nomination. I believe he has also said he wouldn't run as an independent, so as not to split the vote. 

IMO He will throw his full support behind Biden. 

The Republican party/donors will basically ignore everything as long as you are anti abortion which Trump became during the last campaign. They don't care about affairs and rape as long as you don't abort the child. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

He's reportedly in the process of issuing pardons for US military personnel who have been convicted of war crimes. Also including the people who worked for Blackwater, the private contractor responsible for the Nisour Square massacre in Iraq, when several unarmed Iraqis were killed. 

Total disregard for Arab/Middle Eastern lives. No wonder he gets on so well with Netanyahu. 

Pelosi is a right dickhead. From the BBC :

In a response to a question at her weekly press briefing, Mrs Pelosi said she was concerned for the well-being of the president "and the well-being of the United States of America".

"I wish that his family or his administration or his staff would have an intervention for the good of the country."

She doesn't want to go for impeachment but hopes instead that his own admin or his family will stage some type of "intervention" that's going to change things. Maybe she's been in one of the states where weed is allowed and has had some skunk that's way too strong for her mind.

Impeachment for me is a total double-edged sword because we could have Pence in shortly after going apeshit with bombing campaigns all over the place and other warmongering. That doesn't mean that I think Trump should just be able to carry on like he has been doing though. The fucking Dems need to get something sorted out because he's taking the piss at the moment.

6 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Pelosi is a right dickhead. From the BBC :

She doesn't want to go for impeachment but hopes instead that his own admin or his family will stage some type of "intervention" that's going to change things. Maybe she's been in one of the states where weed is allowed and has had some skunk that's way too strong for her mind.

Impeachment for me is a total double-edged sword because we could have Pence in shortly after going apeshit with bombing campaigns all over the place and other warmongering. That doesn't mean that I think Trump should just be able to carry on like he has been doing though. The fucking Dems need to get something sorted out because he's taking the piss at the moment.

them dems, eh? (possibly only works in a thick scouse or irish accent)

He's only allowed to be this crazy as his base will do Nadia Comaneci levels of mental gymnastics and just sheer delight in "owning" the left, in excusing his behaviour. He promised them control over the supreme court and that's exactly what they have now. If anything happens to bader-Ginsberg, the us, will is rapidly turn into a real life hand maids tale!

Tremendous.

White House wanted USS John S. McCain obscured during Trump’s Japan visit

OE3VRLEIZQI6PJIP4DKON3AHBI.jpg
The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) steers towards the Changi Naval Base, Singapore, following a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore in 2017. (Joshua Fulton/U.S. Navy/AP)

The White House asked Navy officials to obscure the USS John S. McCain while President Trump was visiting Japan, Pentagon and White House officials said Wednesday night.

A senior Navy official confirmed he was aware that someone at the White House sent a message to service officials in the Pacific requesting that the USS John McCain be kept out of the picture while the president was there. That led to photographs taken Friday of a tarp obscuring the McCain name, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

When senior Navy officials grasped what was happening, they directed Navy personnel who were present to stop, the senior official said. The tarp was removed on Saturday, before Trump’s visit, he added.

Why do yanks always talk like there's nothing they can do about it? Isn't it supposed to have checks and balances and all that bollocks? What's to stop a dog becoming president and just shitting on the oval carpet for four years while everything goes to shit. 

47 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Why do yanks always talk like there's nothing they can do about it? Isn't it supposed to have checks and balances and all that bollocks? What's to stop a dog becoming president and just shitting on the oval carpet for four years while everything goes to shit. 

"He's not aggressive, honestly.  He's a big softy really.  He just likes snarling at strangers and eating toddlers". 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Thoughts and prayers. For anything else, use a gun.