You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

A few dozen rich Americans and, I suppose, compared to what came before, some poor Mexicans. In much the same way that you could argue Nike is good for some people in Bangladesh.

Well it is, isn't it, depending on what's the alternative? Don't know, I always think, until hundreds of millions of manufacturing workers in Asia are in a position to demand a decent income and conditions, there is little chance of survival of return of these "well-paying, unionized manufacturing jobs" Hedges and others nostalgically reminisce about. BTW, does this not sound a bit like a version of small town America in the 50s and 60s for the MAGA or conservative crowd? There is more chance the jobs will return in the form of robots it seems, then going back to what once was. And then "Bangladesh" is doubly fucked.

1 hour ago, polymerpunkah said:

Yes, winners and losers.

I think, though, it's a nice easy target for those who are currently on the losing end in the USA, whether NAFTA-related or not.

So it serves as a simple rallying cry for demagogues like Trump.

In the end, he didn't make major changes to it. Just a few tweaks, a new name (to put "US" "first"), and carry on as you were.

Yes, it looks like you could drown in the sea of conflicting views, the lazy option in the form of just skimming through what's on Wikipedia suggests the views depend on the crowd you are trying to appeal to. Bernie and Trump both against it.

26 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Tulsi Gabbard is launching her presidential campaign today and some of the media are already trying to associate her with Russia. This shit has got really out of hand.

What's the world coming to when you can't even snuggle up to Assad without being called out for it.

50 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

What's the world coming to when you can't even snuggle up to Assad without being called out for it.

US gov can snuggle up to Al-Qaeda, Saudis and Taliban, I don't think a meeting with Assad to try to understand more about what was happening during yet another US-backed coup attempt was so bad in comparison.

Dems have also been caught creating fake Russian botnets not so long back. One of the companies (New Knowledge) that supposedly noticed Russian activity according to today's NBC article on Gabbard had their CEO involved in it :

The project’s operators created a Facebook page on which they posed as conservative Alabamians, using it to try to divide Republicans and even to endorse a write-in candidate to draw votes from Mr. Moore. It involved a scheme to link the Moore campaign to thousands of Russian accounts that suddenly began following the Republican candidate on Twitter, a development that drew national media attention.

“We orchestrated an elaborate ‘false flag’ operation that planted the idea that the Moore campaign was amplified on social media by a Russian botnet,” the report says.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/19/us/alabama-senate-roy-jones-russia.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

7 hours ago, Anny Road said:

Just watched a documentary about Japan.

US has tons of bases on Okinawa which is 2100km from Toyko the missiles in the banned range of the treaty are between 500km - 5,500km. Meaning the US could have medium range tackle nuke in the range of Tokyo.

Pyongyang is also 1,500km away.

All China's and N Korea's long range (within reach of US mainland) could potentially be take out in a preemptive strike.

I can see the sense in this from a strategic defense point of view.

That’s the thing with America, it’s like aids, in 5hat you can never really get rid of it, everyone kicking off about them withdrawing from the Middle East, yet they still haven’t left Japan or Germany after a war that ostensibly finished 70 odd years ago.

Just now, fuckhead said:

That’s the thing with America, it’s like aids, in 5hat you can never really get rid of it, everyone kicking off about them withdrawing from the Middle East, yet they still haven’t left Japan or Germany after a war that ostensibly finished 70 odd years ago.

That’s why they fight wars in the first place. To the victor go the spoils and all that.

Yes I'm linking Fox News, via Tulsi's twitter, and Glenn Greenwald is actually ON Fox News, and he has some good points about how insane things have become. They're probably going to go to town on Tulsi like they did with Jill Stein and others last time, and they'll go for Bernie of course. They're a bunch of fucked in the head McCarthyist warmongering frauds.

Was just reading through some more of the bullshit Tulsi Gabbard is having to deal with and ended up finding this from last year :

I'd prefer her over the others for president at this point, because her foreign policy seems like the least confrontational by far and it's about time the US war machine stopped killing people all over the place and staging coups. That's partly why the warmongers have their minions attacking her already I guess, and also because she upset some of the neoliberal Dems last time around by endorsing Sanders. Well fuck them. If Bernie runs and wins would like to think he'd give her a top position in his admin too.

13 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Was just reading through some more of the bullshit Tulsi Gabbard is having to deal with and ended up finding this from last year :

I'd prefer her over the others for president at this point, because her foreign policy seems like the least confrontational by far and it's about time the US war machine stopped killing people all over the place and staging coups. That's partly why the warmongers have their minions attacking her already I guess, and also because she upset some of the neoliberal Dems last time around by endorsing Sanders. Well fuck them. If Bernie runs and wins would like to think he'd give her a top position in his admin too.

I thought Tulsi was on the outers with a lot of the left due to being a bit of a bomb loving Islamophobe?

Or is she the candidate of choice for the internet left?

To be honest I don’t know much about the potential democratic candidates but I was under the impression lots of them were lefty heroes this time around; Bernie, Elizabeth Warren, Stacy Abrams(?), etc.

31 minutes ago, Sprouticus said:

I thought Tulsi was on the outers with a lot of the left due to being a bit of a bomb loving Islamophobe?

Or is she the candidate of choice for the internet left?

To be honest I don’t know much about the potential democratic candidates but I was under the impression lots of them were lefty heroes this time around; Bernie, Elizabeth Warren, Stacy Abrams(?), etc.

I'm not speaking to a sprout.

Haha, I'm lost as to who I'm even talking to with all this Spartacus stuff. Tusli has two issues on the Islam front I think (and no I don't think she's a bomb lover considering what her campaign is focusing on and her stances on US foreign policy) : first she's Hindu and has met with and supported the Indian pm Modi as far as I know, and this has had people attacking her because Modi has been criticised for being anti Muslim over there. I don't know a great deal about this part but we'll know more eventually because those against her are going to drag up everything they can.

The other is what we were talking about on here not so long back : she's tried to get people to recognise and call out a lot of terrorism for what it is : Islamic extremism. That's not Islamophobic and is trying to focus on stuff like Wahhabism and the other shit groups like the Saudis are pushing and funding all over the place. This is something she put forward a couple of years back, no surprise that so many idiots in the house and senate haven't backed it : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Arming_Terrorists_Act

Am amazed at what's going on with some of the Dems at the moment though, we've gone from the sham of Clinton vs Trump to Sanders in a leading position to be the next Dem candidate if he runs, Gabbard driving parts of the establishment and media mad with her focus on the US war machine and the effects of it, and Cortez trying to get support for a Green New Deal similar to what was basically the central part of the Green Party's last election campaign. It's great to see and a well needed change from the shit that's been going on in recent years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry that should be Tulsi not Tusli, too late to edit. Have got used to typing her second name instead and missed it.

She's not currently a co-sponsor on Cortez's Green New Deal yet either even though all the other main Dem candidates are. Hopefully she'll be on the list soon too, even if the whole thing is non-binding and Pelosi doesn't seem overly enthusiastic about it.

This is great from Cortez too and might be the exact type of thing that helps to get Drumf out of power next time around :