You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

To be a bit clearer because I don't want to be in here going on every day for ages about this:

Some on here obviously remember me from the last US election and my refusal to budge at all over the course of months and insane amounts of arguing, etc. I'm not anywhere near that point with this idea that a president should be able to ban reporters from the White House and I've never really felt that comfortable with it either. Mainly because I understand that it could lead to some really messed up situations in the future. I don't really think that's very likely to happen and have said that several times now but yeah, I don't feel that secure about it.

It could be that I just want to be that sure that this guy doesn't get a second term that I'd even be willing for the 1st amendment to be fucked over a little until he's gone, mainly in the hope that he causes such a level of outrage that there's no way he can win the next election. So from that angle yeah that's kind of fucked up and I get that.

I'm in no way prepared to crusade on my stance on this one anyway, and I get that it could be a really wrong way of thinking about things. It started out as just hoping CNN would lose for the sake of seeing them fail but get that it could turn out a lot more serious than that with some real lasting damage. If this does end up causing huge problems and he wins the case I suppose we just hope that Dems get a majority in both houses after the next election and can work out some way of rolling it back.

That would also be frustrating if we end up with say, cunts from Fox constantly baiting a president that I hope does well, but it's clearly worth dealing with if it prevents the chances of some other president doing what many fear and banning all reporters apart from those that'll cover them in a positive light. It'd just be good to see Drumf really fuck himself over with this as time passed if he won the case, so maybe that was more of an unconscious thing I had in my head.

So yeah I've backed down, I've budged, etc. Fair enough. Not willing to have a really drawn out thing with something as dodgy as this.

• Upvote 1

Added rep because I think I actually thought of that guy as I typed it or read it back. Was tired and should've probably phrased it differently, but you know what I mean hopefully. Was referring back to it as a contrast to what I'm like with this current bs. It'll be a relief if dems pick someone like Sanders or Warren next time and I'm not arguing with half the forum.

Would probably just avoid it anyway if not, even if they put up a total idiot it might still be better than this madness.

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2018 at 12:57 AM, Red Phoenix said:

I can't resist this because I can't stand CNN and I think this is insane. Am going to try avoiding talking about Trump though because I haven't had to speak about him on here for ages and it's been great :

For CNN to win this case would mean that the president of the US doesn't have authority over White House press passes. That it's not up any future president who's standing there asking him/her questions, they just have to deal with whoever media outlets send in there. That doesn't really make sense at all to me.

If you just take clown president out of the picture here and think of any president and any major media outlet going to court and trying to make out that the president doesn't have authority in that area, then surely it's just completely fucking stupid.

Ruling is later today and I think CNN will definitely lose. I mean it's just one reporter not being able to enter one building, fuck him and fuck CNN. Fuck Trump too, but this is another important point for me personally : if say, Warren is president next time around, I'd like to think that if some twat from Fox or wherever is doing her head in she'd have, as president of the US, the authority to tell him to fuck off out of the White House and to stay out whilst she's in office. So on that note I don't want CNN winning this at all.

Swing and a miss, as the Americans say:

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

That Cory Booker came across pretty well during that Kavanaugh shite. I read he’s considering running for president and thought that he’d be alright, even though I don’t know too much about him. But then I heard that he’s a vegan so now I’m a bit ‘meh’ about him. A vegan, for fuck sake. 

Have heard him mentioned quite a bit and maybe he'll do well, I don't know much about him either though. Him being vegan might wind up some of the more boneheaded right wingers so maybe that'd be cool too.

1 hour ago, deiseach said:

Swing and a miss, as the Americans say:

Yep, fine with being wrong on it after I started thinking about the seriousness of it a bit more. And Drumf failed again and will be wound up too, so that's also good I suppose. I admit to still finding it a bit odd with it being the White House and a president being told by courts that he can't actually do that, but when you see who's the current president it's almost impossible to give a shit really.

• Upvote 1

If Trump does flip out over the next two years and goes completely batshit crazy to the point where he's removed from office, I think Hodgson would be a good choice to steady the ship until the next election. He won't be great and can't seeing him really fixing anything over there, but he has a lot of experience and I think that'd at least stop the US being relegated.

I could see him getting a bit cosy with Putin though so that'd be something they'd have to watch for.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Have heard him mentioned quite a bit and maybe he'll do well, I don't know much about him either though. Him being vegan might wind up some of the more boneheaded right wingers so maybe that'd be cool too.

Are you insinuating that I’m a boneheaded right winger there? That’s it. I’m banning you from any threads that I start in future. If you’ve got a problem with that I’ll see you in court. 

A fucking vegan. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Are you insinuating that I’m a boneheaded right winger there? That’s it. I’m banning you from any threads that I start in future. If you’ve got a problem with that I’ll see you in court. 

A fucking vegan. 

Gah, was trying to be sly about it but looks like I've failed.

On 11/16/2018 at 5:20 PM, Red Phoenix said:

I admit to still finding it a bit odd with it being the White House and a president being told by courts that he can't actually do that, 

It shouldn't be odd, though. That's the whole purposes of the three branches of Government, to offer checks and balances.

• Upvote 2

Visiting the ruins of paradise, Trump said he spoke to the president of Finland who told him that raking the leaves off the floor was an important part of forest fire management. 

The president of Finland says he doesn't recall saying this. 

He's also just tweeted about Adam Schiff but referred to him as Adam Schitt. 

Genius. 

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Visiting the ruins of paradise, Trump said he spoke to the president of Finland who told him that raking the leaves off the floor was an important part of forest fire management. 

The president of Finland says he doesn't recall saying this. 

He's also just tweeted about Adam Schiff but referred to him as Adam Schitt. 

Genius. 

He also called 'Paradise' 'Pleasure' twice until his staff had to correct him. Colossal fucking gimp. 

• Like 1