You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Not a joke.

President Trump accuses people of changing their clothes and returning to cast additional ballots in disguise. (there's no evidence of this) “Sometimes they go to their car, put on a different hat, put on a different shirt, come in and vote again."

Do these changelings come back with new identities as well.  Fucking idiot 

If he loses in 20, there's not a hope in fucking hell he'll leave quietly or at all. He'll just blame voter fraud, rigged bigly, they're all against me. He'll rile up the gun toting slack jawed yokels to go on the attack. 

If the USA wasn't a world barometer,it'd be funny. Fuck me when's it all going to end?

Jim Acosta: White House defends revoking CNN man's access

The White House has filed a memo opposing CNN's suit against the Trump administration, saying no journalist has a constitutional right to access.

It states the president and his staff have "absolute discretion" over journalist access and interviews. Their memo comes on the same day numerous other media organisations - including Fox News - announced their support for the broadcaster.

CNN's Jim Acosta lost his access after a fiery exchange with President Trump. A White House intern tried to take the microphone from Mr Acosta as he tried to ask the president another question. His pass was revoked shortly afterwards, with press secretary Sarah Sanders claiming it was because the correspondent "put his hands on" the intern.

CNN filed suit against the president and several of his aides. A hearing is scheduled in Washington DC at 15:30 local time (22:30 GMT) on Wednesday.

In opposition to CNN's lawsuit, the memo argues: "No journalist has a First Amendment right to enter the White House." It also says Mr Acosta got notice of the reason for his pass's revocation on the day and afterwards. The reason given for taking away access was "disrupting press proceedings", the memo states.

News of the filing comes on the same day a number of media organisations - including President Trump's stated favourite, Fox News - came out in support of the CNN lawsuit, and said they would file briefs backing the network's case.

Law firm Ballard Spahr released a statement on behalf of about a dozen organisations, including the Associated Press, Bloomberg, Fox, NBC, the New York Times and Politico.

"Our news organisations support the fundamental constitutional right to question this president, or any president," the release reads, saying it is "imperative" that journalists can access the presidents and that journalists are not excluded for "arbitrary reasons".

A united front against the White House

By Anthony Zurcher, BBC senior North America reporter

Critics frequently demand that the White House press corps stick together against what they see as acts of intimidation from the Trump administration.

When it comes to CNN's lawsuit to reinstate reporter Jim Acosta's press credentials, major news organisations - including conservative-leaning Fox News - are doing just that.

This shouldn't come as a big surprise, however. Media outlets jealously guard their prerogatives - and White House access is the lifeblood of their business.

CNN and others came to Fox News's defence in 2009, when the Obama administration froze the cable network out of interviews with key officials.

They also supported Fox when one of its reporters, James Rosen, was named as a criminal co-conspirator in a 2013 Obama justice department leak investigation.

It appears that CNN may also have legal precedent on its side. In a case dating back to the Lyndon Johnson administration in the 1960s, a federal court ruled that a reporter for the left-wing Nation magazine could not be denied a press credential for "arbitrary or content-based criteria".

Forty years later, a court will be considering constitutionally protected press freedoms. And at least in this case, the major media are putting up a united front against the White House. Fox News separately issued a statement in support of CNN, saying White House passes "should never be weaponised". "While we don't condone the growing antagonistic tone by both the president and the press at recent media avails, we do support a free press, access and open exchanges for the American people," it said.

Broadcaster CBS News also voiced its intention to file a motion supporting CNN, saying it did not think taking away the press pass was "an appropriate remedy for a disagreement the White House may have with a particular reporter".

Previously, the White House Correspondents' Association - which represents the press corps at the presidential residence - urged the administration to reverse "this weak and misguided action". "Such interactions [between reporter and president] however uncomfortable they may appear to be, help define the strength of our national institutions," the association said.

Drcl8YLWoAEp9yT.jpg

Edited by Dougie Do'ins

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Not a joke.

President Trump accuses people of changing their clothes and returning to cast additional ballots in disguise. (there's no evidence of this) “Sometimes they go to their car, put on a different hat, put on a different shirt, come in and vote again."

Sounds like he was watching that scene from Gangs of New York and mistook 1863 for modern day Florida.

"Bill the Butcher - tremendous guy, great patriot. The Failing New York Times and the rest of the Fake News ACCUSE him of all these crimes but it's a PHONEY HOAX dreamed up by the Democrats who by the way are bringing in the illegal Irish to vote for them, that I can tell you."

• Upvote 1

I can't resist this because I can't stand CNN and I think this is insane. Am going to try avoiding talking about Trump though because I haven't had to speak about him on here for ages and it's been great :

For CNN to win this case would mean that the president of the US doesn't have authority over White House press passes. That it's not up any future president who's standing there asking him/her questions, they just have to deal with whoever media outlets send in there. That doesn't really make sense at all to me.

If you just take clown president out of the picture here and think of any president and any major media outlet going to court and trying to make out that the president doesn't have authority in that area, then surely it's just completely fucking stupid.

Ruling is later today and I think CNN will definitely lose. I mean it's just one reporter not being able to enter one building, fuck him and fuck CNN. Fuck Trump too, but this is another important point for me personally : if say, Warren is president next time around, I'd like to think that if some twat from Fox or wherever is doing her head in she'd have, as president of the US, the authority to tell him to fuck off out of the White House and to stay out whilst she's in office. So on that note I don't want CNN winning this at all.

6 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I can't resist this because I can't stand CNN and I think this is insane. Am going to try avoiding talking about Trump though because I haven't had to speak about him on here for ages and it's been great :

For CNN to win this case would mean that the president of the US doesn't have authority over White House press passes. That it's not up any future president who's standing there asking him/her questions, they just have to deal with whoever media outlets send in there. That doesn't really make sense at all to me.

If you just take clown president out of the picture here and think of any president and any major media outlet going to court and trying to make out that the president doesn't have authority in that area, then surely it's just completely fucking stupid.

Ruling is later today and I think CNN will definitely lose. I mean it's just one reporter not being able to enter one building, fuck him and fuck CNN. Fuck Trump too, but this is another important point for me personally : if say, Warren is president next time around, I'd like to think that if some twat from Fox or wherever is doing her head in she'd have, as president of the US, the authority to tell him to fuck off out of the White House and to stay out whilst she's in office. So on that note I don't want CNN winning this at all.

Any blow against that bastard is a blow for humanity so fuck him. 

27 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah, just one news outlet,just one reporter

Thats how these things start

In the case of the White House I think this whole 1st amendment/freedom of the press angle is just bullshit drama. If a president wants to keep people out of the building they're living in whilst in office because they think they're causing them problems I think they should probably have the authority to do that.

Of course the 1st amendment and freedom of the press is hugely important overall. If any president is going to start adding in any other buildings where they're not residing or other public areas then we instantly have a major problem, but in the case of the building where they live whilst in office, I just don't care and think it's media created drama.

If this was Sanders in office and CNN had caused exactly the same issue I'd have exactly the same view.

8 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

In the case of the White House I think this whole 1st amendment/freedom of the press angle is just bullshit drama. If a president wants to keep people out of the building they're living in whilst in office because they think they're causing them problems I think they should probably have the authority to do that.

Of course the 1st amendment and freedom of the press is hugely important overall. If any president is going to start adding in any other buildings where they're not residing or other public areas then we instantly have a major problem, but in the case of they building where they live whilst in office, I just don't care and think it's media created drama.

If this was Sanders in office and CNN had caused exactly the same issue I'd have exactly the same view.

You are off your fucking nut. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Of course the 1st amendment and freedom of the press is hugely important overall. If any president is going to start adding in any other buildings where they're not residing or other public areas then we instantly have a major problem, but in the case of the building where they live whilst in office, I just don't care and think it's media created drama.

You sir, are a gobshite.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

How many times have you actually watched CNN out of interest?

1 hour ago, Arthur Friedenreich said:

You sir, are a gobshite.

Because it's Trump doing it so I'm supposed to be completely blinkered I guess. Fuck CNN.

47 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

How many times have you actually watched CNN out of interest?

Watched and read it enough to know that a load of it is complete bullshit.

People are acting like the White House press area is some sacred space that's gonna make or break freedom in America, fuck that. A president should be able to do what the fuck he or she wants with the corporate clown media in the White House. If it's fair it's fair, if it's unfair the people will notice and react to that accordingly, they're not fucking stupid.

If the people decide Trump has banned this guy for good reason they'll take that into account, if they think he hasn't, same thing. If a president bans loads of media for stupid reasons then they'll get shit from the press and the public, they'll only be causing themselves issues and it's why it doesn't usually happen and probably won't happen much in the future. If it does their approval ratings will obviously go to shit.

So whatever.

Would be interesting to see the difference in reaction here if this was Sanders as president and a Fox news guy that just got banned.