You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This: http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/trump-crosses-the-nazi-line-maybe-muslims-should-wear-special-id-badges/

which is extrapolated from this longer interview: https://www.yahoo.com/politics/donald-trump-has-big-plans-1303117537878070.html

I hadn't read the longer interview before posting my original statement, and to be fair to the rug-wearing right-wing loon I can't find that exact quote in the Yahoo article.

However, it's bad enough even without it...

Meanwhile in Roanoke, Virginia.....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/11/18/roanoke-mayor-syrian-refugees/76016936/

After requesting that all Roanoke Valley agencies stop Syrian refugee assistance, Mayor David Bowers, a Democrat, wrote in a statement: "I'm reminded that President Franklin D. Roosevelt felt compelled to sequester Japanese foreign nationals after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and it appears that the threat of harm to America from Isis now is just as real and serious as that from our enemies then."

And Captain Sulu responds....

Earlier today, the mayor of Roanoke, Virginia, Mr. David A. Bowers, in the attached letter, joined several state governors in ordering that Syrian refugees not receive any government assistance, or be relocated to their jurisdiction. Apart from the lack of legal authority to do so (under the Refugee Act of 1980, only the President has authority to accept or deny refugees), his resort to fear-based tactics, and his galling lack of compassion for people fleeing these same terrorists, Mayor Bowers made the following startling statement:

“I’m reminded that Franklin D. Roosevelt felt compelled to sequester Japanese foreign nationals after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and it appears that the threat of harm to America from Isis now is just as real and serious as that from our enemies then.”

Mayor Bowers, there are a few key points of history you seem to have missed:

1) The internment (not a "sequester") was not of Japanese "foreign nationals," but of Japanese Americans, two-thirds of whom were U.S. citizens. I was one of them, and my family and I spent 4 years in prison camps because we happened to look like the people who bombed Pearl Harbor. It is my life’s mission to never let such a thing happen again in America.

2) There never was any proven incident of espionage or sabotage from the suspected “enemies” then, just as there has been no act of terrorism from any of the 1,854 Syrian refugees the U.S. already has accepted. We were judged based on who we looked like, and that is about as un-American as it gets.

3) If you are attempting to compare the actual threat of harm from the 120,000 of us who were interned then to the Syrian situation now, the simple answer is this: There was no threat. We loved America. We were decent, honest, hard-working folks. Tens of thousands of lives were ruined, over nothing.

Mayor Bowers, one of the reasons I am telling our story on Broadway eight times a week in Allegiance is because of people like you. You who hold a position of authority and power, but you demonstrably have failed to learn the most basic of American civics or history lessons. So Mayor Bowers, I am officially inviting you to come see our show, as my personal guest. Perhaps you, too, will come away with more compassion and understanding.

-- George Takei

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

I just listened to a dan carlin podcast from a few weeks back where he was talking about the republican debates. He doesn't like trump but hates the status quo so thinks anyone who causes the establishment to squirm is good to a point.

Anyway, he said it was quite interesting when trump started talking about the influence you can buy when you're rich, and pointed to a few of the other candidates and said "I bought you, on this topic, and bought you on that one, I know it can be done"

So while he's clearly an arse of the highest order, he's possibly good for highlighting the bad in the current system and having to make people take a more honest line in what they do and say, at least during the primaries.

Isn't that Trump admitting to breaking some law or other (not clued up on American laws,) surely paying off somebody for a political gain etc has to be against the rules? 

Andy Burnham hardly covering himself in glory.

Andy Burnham's high water mark was the Hillsborough inquiry.  If he had walked away from politics at that point, his legacy would have been unassailable.  As time goes on, his stock is falling as he reveals himself to be a depressingly average politician with the same motivations as the next jobbing Labour or Tory MP.  

Guest Pistonbroke

He was predictably shit on QT last night. Luckily for him Anne Soubry was on angel dust. The pair of them ruined what could have been quite an interesting program if they'd just let Mehdi Hasan and Max Hastings answer the questions. 

That Soubry is one thick tart. 

Isn't that Trump admitting to breaking some law or other (not clued up on American laws,) surely paying off somebody for a political gain etc has to be against the rules?

Cheques from special interests have been physically handed to people on the senate floor before.

Illegal? It's the basis of the whole system.

Guest Pistonbroke

Cheques from special interests have been physically handed to people on the senate floor before.

Illegal? It's the basis of the whole system.

Like I say, not totally clued up on what these Americans can get away with, at the end of the day it is corruption, regardless how they see things themselves. 

Guest Pistonbroke

All part of our pretend democracy.

Indeed, I wonder what would happen if a corner shop owner paid money to ensure he got a lucrative contract. 

He was predictably shit on QT last night. Luckily for him Anne Soubry was on angel dust. The pair of them ruined what could have been quite an interesting program if they'd just let Mehdi Hasan and Max Hastings answer the questions. 

I think that was the point of having them on. The powers that be at the Beeb knew there would be some very searching and awkward questions from the audience. What better way to throw the whole fucking thing into farce than to have Labour and conservative MPs barking shite at each other like a pair of cunting Yorkshire Terriers. 

I haven't read the entire thread but, in my humble opinion, this fella's fucking deranged.

I've had some fine times in the US* and had the great privilege to meet many very decent people, but if this nylon-haired fuckwit gets voted into power then my opinion of the country will take a nosedive (I'm sure they'll be gutted by my disdain).

*Admittedly this was in the the generally cosmopolitan areas of the west and north-east coasts. Never been to the more, shall we say, 'conservative' states.