You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It'll be Bush v Clinton.

Bush has the GOP establishment, and time, but absolutely zero enthusiasm among the rank and file GOP primary voters. This is a campaign cycle unlike any other. I tend to think you may be right, but I would keep an eye on Rubio as someone who might be better able to pick up the pieces when (and if) Trump implodes, and Bush's campaign is mortally wounded in the meantime. 

It won't be Clinton. She's rapidly losing voters. Sanders has gained 20 points on her in Iowa since July.

The fact that Biden is considering running probably is a requested by the DNC leadership.

Regarding Trump surely tonight the other candidates should pile on him on his lack og genuine policy. He talks a lot, but there is no actual substance.

It won't be Clinton. She's rapidly losing voters. Sanders has gained 20 points on her in Iowa since July.

The fact that Biden is considering running probably is a requested by the DNC leadership.

Regarding Trump surely tonight the other candidates should pile on him on his lack og genuine policy. He talks a lot, but there is no actual substance.

Ten English pounds says it will be her.

Biden will only step in as the establishment candidate if she totally implodes and Sanders' chances are, optimistically, about 5%, at best.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/16/gop-debate-ten-dollar-bill-margaret-thatcher-jeb-bush

Margaret Thatcher on the $10 bill? Jeb Bush floats idea at Republican debate
3eb47e06-18ae-43a7-8f7c-a275ba8dded8-206

It took almost three hours of debate before the Republican presidential hopefuls were asked the real question on everyone’s lips: which woman should be on the revamped $10 bill?

The softball query provided a jolt of energy to the candidates, most of whom were visibly wilting as the marathon debate drew to a close. It also provided a jolt of energy to the audience, because most of the answers were amusing.

Question: Mike Huckabee, who would you like to see on a revamped $10 bill?

Answer: “My wife.”
Question: Ben Carson, who would you like to see on a revamped $10 bill?

Answer: “My mother.”
Question: Donald Trump, who would you like to see on a new $10 bill?

Answer: “My daughter Ivanka.”
The Obama government announced in June that a new $10 bill, featuring a woman for the first time, will be introduced in 2020.

The Treasury Department is seeking suggestions from the public on which woman should appear on the note, although it has said the woman should be dead, which would appear to rule out both Huckabee and Trump’s first choices.

Some of the more realistic answers came from Kentucky senator Rand Paul and Florida senator Marco Rubio, who went for women’s rights campaigner Susan B Anthony and Rosa Parks respectively. Ted Cruz, another Texas senator, also plumped for the civil rights activist Parks, but said he wanted her on the $20 bill. Trump had jokingly suggested Ivanka and also threw his weight behind Parks.

A couple of the most left-field choices came from former Florida governor Jeb Bush and Ohio governor John Kasich. Bush said he would like to see Margaret Thatcher, a favourite of Reagan supporters but a bizarre choice given the fact she is not actually American.

Kasich’s suggestion of Mother Theresa – he’s met her, he said – was sweet, if a little unexpected.

Of the rest, New Jersey governor Chris Christie wanted Abigail Adams – wife of former president John – and Scott Walker suggested Clara Barton, a nurse who founded the Red Cross.

Oh, and the one woman on stage? Carly Fiorina said that the bills should be left as they are: instead every woman should be given the opportunity “to live the life she chooses”.

• 4 weeks later...

Is that a genuine tweet or a photoshopped quote? The fact that I'm asking merely underlines that it is entirely possible for it not to be made up, because a lot of people like him actually think these things and make them public. Palin and Bachmann among others have actually said things just as dumb as this. It's not unusual for people associated with GOT to spout absolute bobbins.

• 2 weeks later...

I just listened to a dan carlin podcast from a few weeks back where he was talking about the republican debates. He doesn't like trump but hates the status quo so thinks anyone who causes the establishment to squirm is good to a point.

Anyway, he said it was quite interesting when trump started talking about the influence you can buy when you're rich, and pointed to a few of the other candidates and said "I bought you, on this topic, and bought you on that one, I know it can be done"

So while he's clearly an arse of the highest order, he's possibly good for highlighting the bad in the current system and having to make people take a more honest line in what they do and say, at least during the primaries.

• 3 weeks later...