You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi better than Maradona?

Section_31

The Best?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. The Best?

Surprised the poll is so close to be honest. I think some of Maradona's moments of magic, Messi couldn't aspire to, but I also think it is a lot harder in today's game to produce those moments of magic. It is close for me, but Messi is playing in a lot better team than most of the ones Maradona played in too. He's probably not there yet, but he could very well end up being better considering he still should have a lot of playing years.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read this whole thread. But Glenn Hoddle made a good point on Sky last night saying now with the game being less physical, it helps someone like Messi.

Maradona used to get the shit kicked out of him and played when defenders were allowed to get physical.

I don't like comparing them to be honest, as they are both top draw. Personally I'd say Maradona is the better individual and Messi is the better team player, but you wouldn't be upset with either in your side.

Pele was better than them both.

I'm too young to judge really but ESPN classics did a thing there about 5 or 6 months ago where they showed the full 90 mins of a lot of games from that era. So I watched a bit of these just to see what the quality was like. Even taking into consideration the difference between era's, I'm not sure he was. Definitely didn't have the skill level of Messi/Maradona from what I saw.

I think Maradona will always edge ahead in many of these polls because he did it for Argentina and nearly won them two World Cups. Messi's inability to replicate his domestic form on the international stage will always raise a slight question-mark for me, and I don't know why.

But it's so hard to compare them properly, totally different era's, totally different circumstances, teams, and such like. Had Maradona been trained and medically assessed in the same way as Messi is now then perhaps he also would have been much quicker, fitter etc. Who knows.

Look at Barca! Probably the greatest team of all time and look how important Messi is to them. Just because he's not an underdog doesn't make his skill or achievements any less valid.

There are plenty of reasons why he hasn't performed (relatively) on an international level. One of them being that he's not loved in his country, which i've always found ridiculous. Maradona went abroad and he's treated as a god.

I really don't think Messi needs to go and play for a shit team to prove his quality. The characters of both him and Maradona, and the circumstances that have arisen, have determined where they'll (or did) play their club football. Messi owes a lot to Barcelona, and now, in my opinion, will never leave. He's not going to fall out with the club at any point. Neither is he going to start hanging out with gangsters, or become a coke head. I'd imagine he loves playing for a successful team, that plays beautiful football, in a great stadium, in a great city etc. He also clearly puts club before country. Something Maradona, despite his affection for Napoli, didn't. In Argentina a lot of people even consider Messi to be Spanish. The current strength of the Spanish side is also far superior to anything Argentina had to face in 86. It probably is the best national team ever. I'm not convinced Maradona would single handedly win a World Cup in this era.

I'm not sure its possible to come to any worthwhile conclusion. They played 20/25 years apart, in very different eras of football. Would have been interesting to see Maradona at his peak play in this current Barcelona side, ditto Messi in a relatively weak Napoli side. But had the players swapped eras it just wouldn't have happened. Maradona would eventually fall out with someone at the club (like he did), and Messi probably wouldn't be too keen on hanging out with the mafia.

Two extremely similar footballers. Two extremely different men.

I'd love to have seen either play in England.

I don't think that international really matters anymore. Messi is still young, and we'll likely see him produce some magic at international level, but now, we've got teams playing much better systems like Spain, Germany, etc.

Argentina has great players, but they're hardly playing the same level of football as other countries.

Apart from the fact that it's obviously impossible to compare players from different era's, the argument that 'Maradona did it on the international stage / won the World Cup' isn't really of any consequence because International Football isn't what it once was - the latter stages of the Champions League are the true pinnacle of the game these days, International Football is some way behind.

Argentina wouldn't have the ball.

Only one of them would need to get it.

Seriously, it's all just waffle this because you can't exactly get them on a pitch and ask them to duke it out, but Maradona was something very special indeed. I don't think his insouciant magic with the ball will ever be repeated.

Messi is very, very, very good, and the fact that people are even able to entertain a comparison says much, but as good as he is, for me, he doesn't quite have what Maradona had. He was the most natural with the ball that there has ever been.

Maybe Lionel is as close as we will ever get, and maybe with the advantages he has, he will for many people outstrip him, but for me, growing up in Maradona's time, I would still plump for Diego.

You think differently and that's fine, but it's closer cut than you would have it and no-one can ever say which of us is "right".

Me, I just feel lucky to have seen them both.

Edited by zigackly

Good thread

showing my age I remember Pele who should be on any list. Best probably too but sticking to the question I go for Messi. Quite simply he is the greatest player I have ever seen. Thats based just as much on the fact that I like the guy; his attitude, disposition and the fact he is still a team player despite his outstanding skills. For me this puts him ahead of Maradona who for all his brilliance still managed to descend to cheating, drugs and all manner of twattishness when he could have had the world literally at his feet ( well his left one anyway). Messi for me has yet to show any flaws and God how I wish he played for us.

Only one of them would need to get it.

Seriously, it's all just waffle this because you can't exactly get them on a pitch and ask them to duke it out, but Maradona was something very special indeed. I don't think his insouciant magic with the ball will ever be repeated.

Messi is very, very, very good, and the fact that people are even able to entertain a comparison says much, but as good as he is, for me, he doesn't quite have what Maradona had. He was the most natural with the ball that there has ever been.

Maybe Lionel is as close as we will ever get, and maybe with the advantages he has, he will for many people outstrip him, but for me, growing up in Maradona's time, I would still plump for Diego.

You think differently and that's fine, but it's closer cut than you would have it and no-one can ever say which of us is "right".

Me, I just feel lucky to have seen them both.

Hang on, what?

Where have I said it isn't close?

Clearly neither of us can be proved right. Because we could simply select different criteria.

Baresi was better than both of them.

For me this puts him ahead of Maradona who for all his brilliance still managed to descend to cheating, drugs and all manner of twattishness when he could have had the world literally at his feet ( well his left one anyway).

Doesn't that concept of flawed genius appeal even a little bit then?

I can't talk though I suppose; I voted for Rush ahead of Fowler on the MF.

Hang on, what?

Where have I said it isn't close?

Haven't read all your posts, it was just where you were saying Maradona couldn't repeat what he did in International football today. The Argentina team he played in was full of absolute shit compared to the one today. Messi doesn't seem to have the balls to transform that team into something greater than the sum of it's parts. It is a legitimate criticism. Having said that, I think Messi will prove to be three times the club player Maradona was. Swings and roundabouts.

Anyway, stats and internationals and drugs aside, for me I would rather still pay to watch Maradona. Simple as that.

As mentioned already, it is really all about eras. In Maradona's era, international football was the pinnacle of the game. Maradona was the decisive factor in Argentina winning the World Cup in 1986, and in getting close again four years later, whereas Messi has struggled to make an impact at World Cup level. In the Messi era, it is the Champions League that provides the true barometer of quality. Messi has been utterly brilliant in helping Barcelona win the Champions League twice, and was an unnamed sub in the Barca squad that won it in 2006, whereas Maradona never made an impact in the old European Cup (though Napoli did win the UEFA Cup in 1990). Both represent the best in their respective eras.

Doesn't that concept of flawed genius appeal even a little bit then?

I can't talk though I suppose; I voted for Rush ahead of Fowler on the MF.

Definitely but this sounds like whole new thread to me or we could just tack it on to Gazza one

I would have gone for Fowler by the way !

As mentioned already, it is really all about eras. In Maradona's era, international football was the pinnacle of the game. Maradona was the decisive factor in Argentina winning the World Cup in 1986, and in getting close again four years later, whereas Messi has struggled to make an impact at World Cup level. In the Messi era, it is the Champions League that provides the true barometer of quality. Messi has been utterly brilliant in helping Barcelona win the Champions League twice, and was an unnamed sub in the Barca squad that won it in 2006, whereas Maradona never made an impact in the old European Cup (though Napoli did win the UEFA Cup in 1990). Both represent the best in their respective eras.

Stuff that, get on and vote.