You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Local elections 5th May

Sugar Ape

It was hilarious on the Daily Politics just then watching all the Tories squirming and playing linguistic gymnastics to do their best not to openly criticise the decision to reinstate Rosemary Carroll to the party to secure a council majority.

The "her words are not welcome in British politics....er....but she's undergone diversity training" line seems to be the one that CCHQ has briefed them to use.

And then the uber-twat, Melanie Phillips, pipes up saying there's no Islamophobia problem in the Tory party because Islamophobia doesn't exist, it's been made up to deflect any legitimate criticism of the Islamic faith, and then proceeds to say that antisemitism is "rife" amongst the "hard left" without even the slightest acknowledgement from her that alleging antisemitism is also a widely used deflection tactic to shut down legitimate criticism of "the only democracy in the Middle East"...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/kirkby-councillor-stand-trial-accused-14631735

Kirkby councillor to stand trial accused of £25,000 benefit fraud

Raymond Halpin, 64, is charged with lying about his councillor's allowance while claiming benefits

A Knowsley councillor will stand trial later this year accused of a £25,000 benefit fraud.

Ray Halpin, 64, is accused of failing to declare income from his allowance as a councillor and from three pension funds – while claiming benefits from the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP).

Halpin has pleaded not guilty to one count of dishonestly making a false statement to obtain a benefit, and three counts of dishonestly failing to notify the DWP of a change in circumstances.

According to the charges he failed to inform the authorities of relevant income from two Mersey Pension funds and a Legal & General pension fund.

The Labour councillor, for Shevington ward in Kirkby, appeared at Liverpool Crown Court today leaning heavily on a walking stick.

The alleged offences are said to have taken place between April 2012 and January last year.

According to Knowsley Council’s website he sits on several committees, including the Governance Committee and Sub-Committee, and the Health and Adult Social Care Scrutiny Committee.

During an earlier hearing in the lower courts, Julian Linskill, defending, said said his client maintained his innocence and claimed there was “no dishonesty here”.

Judge Alan Conrad, QC, set the trial for a date during the week commencing October 1.

Halpin, of Weaver Avenue in Kirkby, was granted unconditional bail.

• Downvote 1

• 3 years later...
2 minutes ago, Strontium said:

No. Some other sucker is making up the numbers this time around.

Our local LD councillor is a guy called Steve Gribbon. He’s an ex-fireman, not the brightest button but fuck me does he work hard.  He’s completely dedicated to the area, never stops volunteering and I think the police and council are so sick of him mithering them they respond just to get him off their back. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Our local LD councillor is a guy called Steve Gribbon. He’s an ex-fireman, not the brightest button but fuck me does he work hard.  He’s completely dedicated to the area, never stops volunteering and I think the police and council are so sick of him mithering them they respond just to get him off their back. 

That's what you want from a councillor, somebody who gets things sorted. The three round here are 3 of the laziest cunts on earth.

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

One of the reasons I don't really want to be a councillor is how hard they're expected work for very little reward. You really need to be committed to it, at least you do if you're doing it properly.

Having said that, I'd be lying if I said that the taunts of a few on here hadn't had an impact on my thinking too. Kind of sick of being mocked for losing by people who don't know or care what a paper candidate is. I can just imagine how they'd crow if I actually ran a campaign and didn't win.

• Upvote 1

Stronts, for what it’s worth, I’d be very, very keenly supportive of any ambitions to stand and run a proper campaign. I feel a video diary of sorts with its own dedicated thread on here may be the best way for us to all get behind you. On-board?

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

We had an independent fella voted in last time, a decent enough bloke with the best of intentions who got absolutely nothing done.

I don't think it was for the lack of trying because he did, but when you're a one man band with no support network to speak of and getting grief off everyone you're on a hiding to nothing.

A clear case of biting off more than you can chew.

He's not on the ballot paper this time.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Strontium said:

One of the reasons I don't really want to be a councillor is how hard they're expected work for very little reward. You really need to be committed to it, at least you do if you're doing it properly.

Having said that, I'd be lying if I said that the taunts of a few on here hadn't had an impact on my thinking too. Kind of sick of being mocked for losing by people who don't know or care what a paper candidate is. I can just imagine how they'd crow if I actually ran a campaign and didn't win.

You need a much thicker skin to survive in politics. Don't let the shit get to you. Most of the people sending anonymous insults over the internet to politicians have never stood for election in their lives but just throw rocks from the sidelines. Whatever mainstream party you stand for (excluding the extremists), the act of you just standing up contributes significantly to our democracy. 

Would happily run a GF crowdfund to get SD elected as long as we can have a say on policy and write his speeches. 

AC Slatering signs in all public washrooms. White dog poo to be reintroduced from the 14th of August.

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Would happily run a GF crowdfund to get SD elected as long as we can have a say on policy and write his speeches. 

AC Slatering signs in all public washrooms. White dog poo to be reintroduced from the 14th of August.

Policies we can all get behind!

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Aye, philyhamann could do the artwork for the poster campaign.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

giphy.gif