You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Local elections 5th May

Sugar Ape

Brilliant mate, our co-leader got elected down there too. I died on my arse, but our leader (20 years of age for fucks sake) got himself elected as the first green on our council, brilliant day.

Becca Thackray, if she’s a tenth of the person her brother is Lambeth have voted in a top lady.

Stronts, perfect example is you coming out and trying to point score about Corbyn winning a GE and bringing in PR.

I agree he should. I’ve argued for years we should have PR even when it meant we would have ducking UKIP MP’s.

It’s pointed out to you you went for a miserable little compromise and the excuses are out straight away.

You accuse lots on here of being Labour blind/biased etc and I don’t see anyone criticise the Labour Party more than its own voters on here.

I don't think I've made "excuses" for AV. Just pointed out that it's the best we could get, which is a fact, and that it's a better (ie fairer) system than FPTP, which is a fact. Whether you consider it enough of a consession is a matter of opinion, and I accept that opinions will differ on that.

Corbyn is not going to bring in proportional representation. This is while I am being told how he wants a democratic revolution. Obviously I am going to treat that idea with disdain.

I am in a political minority, both on here and in society. It follows that most people are going to disagree with me, hence disagreements are inevitable. I don't pretend to have anything other than a partisan interest in advancing the cause of liberty. Defending liberties naturally requires a person to go on the defensive, and as for not giving an inch of ground, that is because I am not prepared to accept even the merest rollback of our liberties.

Oh, shut the fuck up.

I don't think I've made "excuses" for AV. Just pointed out that it's the best we could get, which is a fact, and that it's a better (ie fairer) system than FPTP, which is a fact. Whether you consider it enough of a consession is a matter of opinion, and I accept that opinions will differ on that.

Corbyn is not going to bring in proportional representation. This is while I am being told how he wants a democratic revolution. Obviously I am going to treat that idea with disdain.

It isn’t a fact!

A fact is an undeniable truth. It was a compromise. Claiming otherwise is why you lose credibility at times despite being an intellectual thoughtful poster.

Corbyn should bring in PR. Blair should have. Brown should have.

If he gets the chance and doesn’t then I’ll criticise him. I don’t see or pretend the party I usually vote for (I’ve stated on here I’ve also voted Lib and Green) are perfect.

I regularly criticise them. And at times am fucking pissed off with them.

But you refuse to accept people criticise Labour as well as other parties and it makes you less of a poster.

Made up for them all mate, those who got elected ran brilliant campaigns (as did some of those who missed out), felt proud to be (a somewhat peripheral) part of it.

Her brother is one of the most socially aware people I know.

His wife won gold at the world organ transplant games and they adopted a disabled daughter of a different race to them.

They’re great people and Lambeth are lucky to have his sister serve them.

I am in a political minority, both on here and in society. It follows that most people are going to disagree with me, hence disagreements are inevitable. I don't pretend to have anything other than a partisan interest in advancing the cause of liberty. Defending liberties naturally requires a person to go on the defensive, and as for not giving an inch of ground, that is because I am not prepared to accept even the merest rollback of our liberties.

Superb. Thom Paine is reborn!

(Not a massive fan of liberty for Palestinians, but, hey ho...)

It isn’t a fact!

A fact is an undeniable truth. It was a compromise. Claiming otherwise is why you lose credibility at times despite being an intellectual thoughtful poster.

Corbyn should bring in PR. Blair should have. Brown should have.

If he gets the chance and doesn’t then I’ll criticise him. I don’t see or pretend the party I usually vote for (I’ve stated on here I’ve also voted Lib and Green) are perfect.

I regularly criticise them. And at times am fucking pissed off with them.

But you refuse to accept people criticise Labour as well as other parties and it makes you less of a poster.

Corbyn won't bring in PR because (if I remember rightly) he reckons it would break the link between an MP and their constituents, which is something he values.

Hahahaa!!

It isn’t a fact!

I'm not denying it's a compromise. That doesn't mean it wasn't the best thing on offer, and it doesn't mean it wasn't better than nothing.

Superb. Thom Paine is reborn!

(Not a massive fan of liberty for Palestinians, but, hey ho...)

On the contrary, I believe Palestinians should be freed from Hamas as soon as possible.

• Upvote 1

Her brother is one of the most socially aware people I know.

His wife won gold at the world organ transplant games and they adopted a disabled daughter of a different race to them.

They’re great people and Lambeth are lucky to have his sister serve them.

Excellent

Tories being despicable racist cunts shocker

Tories control council by reinstating 'racist' candidate

Rosemary Carroll was suspended after sharing a post comparing an Asian to a dog, but rejoined the Tories as "votes were counted".

17:13, UK,Saturday 05 May 2018

skynews-rosemary-carroll-conservative_43

Image:Rosemary Carroll attended diversity training after the incident. Pic: Pendle Council

•  

By Aubrey Allegretti, Political Reporter

The Conservatives have been accused of "appalling cynicism" for winning a council by reinstating a councillor who was suspended for a "racist" Facebook post.

Rosemary Carroll, who made a post comparing an Asian man with a dog last June, rejoined "as the votes were being counted" in Pendle, Lancashire, on Friday.

It gave the Conservatives 25 seats - just enough to take control of the council.

I'm not denying it's a compromise. That doesn't mean it wasn't the best thing on offer, and it doesn't mean it wasn't better than nothing.

On the contrary, I believe Palestinians should be freed from Hamas as soon as possible.

I'd argue that the Shoddy Compromise Referendum was worse than nothing: you had one chance and you blew it.

As for freeing the Palestinians from their democratically elected government...

*thinks*

This looks like a job for Liberty Man.

Corbyn won't bring in PR because (if I remember rightly) he reckons it would break the link between an MP and their constituents, which is something he values.

I agree there needs to be a way to link MP’s to regions and people need/deserve a constitutional MP to serve them and they can hold to account.

PR is a far more democratic way to elect representatives than FPTP.

You didn’t have to agree to a shitty ‘miserable compromise’.

That’s not a fact. It suited your party so you went for it.

And you (and I) got nothing.

That's bullshit though. PR is essential to increase the speed by which politics changes to reflect the modern world. MP's having a link to their constituents is a thing of the past. They are voting for policies that affect everyone, not just their constituents. So it's irrelevant at the end of the day.

That's bullshit though. PR is essential to increase the speed by which politics changes to reflect the modern world. MP's having a link to their constituents is a thing of the past. They are voting for policies that affect everyone, not just their constituents. So it's irrelevant at the end of the day.

Good MPs still have a link to their constituents.

Good MPs still have a link to their constituents.

Kwasi Kwarteng is my 'local' MP. He lives 25 miles away in North London. I think the only time he's ever in the area is to pick up his customary win any time there's an election, as all the gobshite Brexiteers around here vote for him.