You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Local elections 5th May

Sugar Ape

No it isn't, because graduates earn more in general, and higher earning graduates pay back more of their loans. It makes far less difference to low earning graduates. The IFS is all over this shit: "As high-earning graduates repay the largest share of their student loans, they benefit the most from the removal of tuition fees. The repayments from the highest-earning graduates (those earning more than around £100,000 a year on average, over their lifetime) would fall by 67% from £93,000 to £30,000, while the lowest-earning would benefit very little."

And to whom do they pay back their loans? Who profiteers from it? because it isn't the student. Who profiteers from the £9000 per year tuition fees? because again it isn't the student.

You can't default on the debt, even if you go bankrupt. Trump can declare himself bankrupt and default on his debts but a student can't on their student loans. Tells you everything you need to know. It's a racket. The fact that you agree with it doesn't surprise me at all. It was your lot that brought it in - after going around sixth form colleges and promising to abolish tuition fees all together. I guess 'abolish' means increase by 300% in Bullshitese. 

That's pretty much Corbyn's line. Reducing the burden of debt reduces the number of talented people prevented from continuing their education and we all benefit from that, by having more and better engineers, doctors, architects, accountants, lawyers, vets, etc.

Yep, I'd say it's pretty patriotic and sound economic sense to provide your citizens with education and hope to benefit the nation. But but he doesn't wanna murder and maim lots of innocents and thinks of the unintended consequences of military action.

And to whom do they pay back their loans? Who profiteers from it? because it isn't the student. Who profiteers from the £9000 per year tuition fees? because again it isn't the student.

You can't default on the debt, even if you go bankrupt. Trump can declare himself bankrupt and default on his debts but a student can't on their student loans. Tells you everything you need to know. It's a racket. The fact that you agree with it doesn't surprise me at all. It was your lot that brought it in - after going around sixth form colleges and promising to abolish tuition fees all together. I guess 'abolish' means increase by 300% in Bullshitese.

They pack back loans to the Student Loans Company. Pretty basic knowledge I would have thought.

There's a very good reason you can't default on it, and that's because it's NOT A DEBT. Martin Lewis did an expert takedown of the way this misunderstanding has been exploited by Labour on Question Time this week. I hope he returns to active Lib Demmery one day because he would be great in government.

I feel silly having to point this out to you, but the Lib Dems didn't win the 2010 election, and manifesto pledges are contingent on you actually winning.

They pack back loans to the Student Loans Company. Pretty basic knowledge I would have thought.

There's a very good reason you can't default on it, and that's because it's NOT A DEBT. Martin Lewis did an expert takedown of the way this misunderstanding has been exploited by Labour on Question Time this week. I hope he returns to active Lib Demmery one day because he would be great in government.

I feel silly having to point this out to you, but the Lib Dems didn't win the 2010 election, and manifesto pledges are contingent on you actually winning.

And yet it's one of the first questions every mortgage company will ask you.

• Upvote 1

28 Lib Dem MP's including Clegg (and your current leader) voted to increase tuition fees to £9000 per year from £3290 whilst thousands of students staged protests outside, during the coalition government, December 2010. Are you really going to pretend that this wasn't the case?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nick-clegg-was-actually-keen-to-treble-tuition-fees-former-coalition-colleague-reveals-10218326.html

And yet it's one of the first questions every mortgage company will ask you.

They will only ask you what your monthly outgoings are. The actual level of "debt" is irrelevant.

Seeing as Stronts has said the Libs won't go into a coalition again its a bit of an oxymoron.

We'll do coalition if we have proportional representation. I'm sure the great democrat Corbyn will give us that...

We'll do coalition if we have proportional representation. I'm sure the great democrat Corbyn will give us that...

You shat out on PR when you had the best chance you will ever have. As Coalition sell-outs go, that one was even more egregious than student fees.

They will only ask you what your monthly outgoings are. The actual level of "debt" is irrelevant.

So it affects your ability to get a mortgage.

If Labour win the next GE I'd want them to introduce PR! Have said for years we should have PR.

Just wish you would have gone for PR instead of the miserable little compromise of AV.

You shat out on PR when you had the best chance you will ever have. As Coalition sell-outs go, that one was even more egregious than student fees.

It was AV or nothing. TPTB decided AV was better than nothing.

So it affects your ability to get a mortgage.

Insofar as it's an outgoing, like any other outgoing.

Fuck. Ing. Hell

It was AV or nothing. TPTB decided AV was better than nothing.

There was always the option of standing your ground; of telling the Tories that if they want a Coalition, then they have to accept a referendum on PR. During those few days of negotiations, the Lib Dems had more power than ever and they shat their kecks.

I don’t post much on this thread but if there’s one person on here than spins bullshit it’s Stronts. I’ve got no dislike of the man (he gets a lot of unfair shit thrown at him) but you just know if the things he defends about the Lib Dem’s were levelled at Labour he’d have the complete opposite opinion.

He encapsulates everything people dislike about politicians neatly tied up in one forum posting package.

I don’t post much on this thread but if there’s one person on here than spins bullshit it’s Stronts. I’ve got no dislike of the man (he gets a lot of unfair shit thrown at him) but you just know if the things he defends about the Lib Dem’s were levelled at Labour he’d have the complete opposite opinion.

He encapsulates everything people dislike about politicians neatly tied up in one forum posting package.

Utter, utter shit. I said multiple times it was an error to renege on the student fee pledge, and in fact it was an error to sign it in the first place. Besides that, literally everything I have written has been a plain fact. You can't "spin" facts, they're just facts.

I’ve got precisely nothing invested in the argument so I’m not coming at you trying to win an argument as many on here seem to.

I’m not talking about a particular issue by the way. You’re defensive, generally cagey and argue absolutely everything whilst barely giving an inch of ground on anything at all. I’m telling you how you come across. You’re as partisan as they come and its the main reason you end up arguing with absolute everyone when it comes to politics. Take it or leave it; I suspect you’ll leave it.

Stronts, perfect example is you coming out and trying to point score about Corbyn winning a GE and bringing in PR.

I agree he should. I’ve argued for years we should have PR even when it meant we would have ducking UKIP MP’s.

It’s pointed out to you you went for a miserable little compromise and the excuses are out straight away.

You accuse lots on here of being Labour blind/biased etc and I don’t see anyone criticise the Labour Party more than its own voters on here.

Just saw on FB my mates sister was elected one of the 5 Green Councillors in Lambeth making them the official opposition.

Brilliant mate, our co-leader got elected down there too. I died on my arse, but our leader (20 years of age for fucks sake) got himself elected as the first green on our council, brilliant day.

I’ve got precisely nothing invested in the argument so I’m not coming at you trying to win an argument as many on here seem to.

I’m not talking about a particular issue by the way. You’re defensive, generally cagey and argue absolutely everything whilst barely giving an inch of ground on anything at all. I’m telling you how you come across. You’re as partisan as they come and its the main reason you end up arguing with absolute everyone when it comes to politics. Take it or leave it; I suspect you’ll leave it.

I am in a political minority, both on here and in society. It follows that most people are going to disagree with me, hence disagreements are inevitable. I don't pretend to have anything other than a partisan interest in advancing the cause of liberty. Defending liberties naturally requires a person to go on the defensive, and as for not giving an inch of ground, that is because I am not prepared to accept even the merest rollback of our liberties.