You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Local elections 5th May

Sugar Ape

11 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

You’re a despicable man, NV.  All the time. 

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

At times? Name the times, Bitch! Name the fucking times that I'm not a despicable man. FUCKING NAME THEM.

Yer wha’?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

The internal Tory party line is this is not as bad as it could have been. Boris will survive. Election postponed till 2024 at the earliest maybe even 2025 so that the inflation/cost of living storm can pass. Next 2 years are going to be tough for voters so don’t risk an election. 

December 2024 is the very latest they can run the next election as they can only go for a maximum 5 years and the last election was December 2019. They cannot opt for a 2025 election even if they wanted to.

Both Major and Brown went as late as they could and both lost, so I reckon we’re looking at May 2024 when we next have an election assuming Johnson can hang on long enough.

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Isn't it more a case that they're trying (whether well or poorly) to take the fight to the Tories but have a group of pro-Corbyn supporters firing volleys and distracting from the side-lines that makes it hard to fully focus their efforts?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/rachel-reeves-says-she-is-pleased-jeremy-corbyn-is-not-prime-minister-3667288

3 hours ago, clangers said:

It's a grim result outside of London where Labour is already strong. They've lost ground in the midlands and the north. Bottom line is that there are too many former Labour voters who switched in 2019 post Brexit and they aren't going to switch back as it'll mean admitting they were wrong. An awful lot of it would be worse under Labour views will continue to be spouted.

Best outcome I can see at the next general election is that Labour manages to reduce a Tory majority.

Completely agree.

The only possible hope is some of lab/lib/green cololition

1 hour ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Embarrassing to see the shameless “long Corbyn” shouts from some Labour figures to explain the less than satisfactory results. 

Corbyn to blame when he was in power

Corbyn to blame when he was not in power

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Went down well, a better strategy would've been for Reeves to stay home or alternatively strap her mouth shut with gaffa tape.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-61343665.amp

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Nothing's ever going to change as long as every thing you hear, see and read is presented through a right wing prism of courtiers. All other considerations are moot. 

"The S*n backs Blair".

This is a common argument but I think its not true. The UK has at least 5 predominantly left wing print media (The Guardian, The Daily Mirror, New Statesman, Private Eye, Morning Star) plus Channel 4 and arguably elements of the BBC have a strong London centric/liberal bias in their coverage. Look at the coverage of today's election result, the change of political control at Wandsworth got a lot more attention than Hull because most of the journalists live in Nappy valley. 

It's hard to argue that the news is presented through a right wing prism. A big part of the business case for GB news at the time was that the media was not reflecting the make up of the electorate. Of course, nobody watches it but that's because its shit. 

13 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

This is a common argument but I think its not true. The UK has at least 5 predominantly left wing print media (The Guardian, The Daily Mirror, New Statesman, Private Eye, Morning Star) plus Channel 4 and arguably elements of the BBC have a strong London centric/liberal bias in their coverage. Look at the coverage of today's election result, the change of political control at Wandsworth got a lot more attention than Hull because most of the journalists live in Nappy valley. 

It's hard to argue that the news is presented through a right wing prism. A big part of the business case for GB news at the time was that the media was not reflecting the make up of the electorate. Of course, nobody watches it but that's because its shit. 

I'd argue that all the publications you mentioned except the Mirror are a bit different, in the sense that the people who read them already think like that. You wouldn't buy the New Statesmen to read about the footy or the Guardian to get a money off voucher for Greggs. People who read these publications actively pursue them because they already agree with it. The right wing press is more insidious. 

The media in this country create and peddle falsehoods and then perpetuate them over and over with simple messages, they blitz you into oblivion, and it works. 

If you had an election between Jesus of Nazareth and Pol Pot, and Jesus was on about free food and wine for all. Andrew Neil would rake him over the coals about how he was going to pay for it. Jesus would be like 'I'll create it with magic' and the Mail and Nick Ferrari and all the other cunts would be giving it the 'magic money tree' shit.

Pol Pot would be framed as a strongman who'd sort out the economy and confiscate the glasses of the Brexit naysayers. 

Then you'd go and do a vox in Wigan or Barnsley or wherever the f*ck and you'd get a mixture of 'they're both the same' and 'how's Jesus going to pay for it?'.

It's bollocks. 

I've said before, but is it any coincidence that the English speaking world where Murdock has no foothold - New Zealand and Canada - are relatively liberal, but where he does - UK, USA and Australia have elements of their white working class which are all virtual carbon copies of one another?

White van man is the shock trooper of British Conservatism, - copy of the S*n on his dashboard and shit between his ears. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'd argue that all the publications you mentioned except the Mirror are a bit different, in the sense that the people who read them already think like that. You wouldn't buy the New Statesmen to read about the footy or the Guardian to get a money off voucher for Greggs. People who read these publications actively pursue them because they already agree with it. The right wing press is more insidious. 

The media in this country create and peddle falsehoods and then perpetuate them over and over with simple messages, they blitz you into oblivion, and it works. 

If you had an election between Jesus of Nazareth and Pol Pot, and Jesus was on about free food and wine for all. Andrew Neil would rake him over the coals about how he was going to pay for it. Jesus would be like 'I'll create it with magic' and the Mail and Nick Ferrari and all the other cunts would be giving it the 'magic money tree' shit.

Pol Pot would be framed as a strongman who'd sort out the economy and confiscate the glasses of the Brexit naysayers. 

Then you'd go and do a vox in Wigan or Barnsley or wherever the f*ck and you'd get a mixture of 'they're both the same' and 'how's Jesus going to pay for it?'.

It's bollocks. 

I've said before, but is it any coincidence that the English speaking world where Murdock has no foothold - New Zealand and Canada - are relatively liberal, but where he does - UK, USA and Australia have elements of their white working class which are all virtual carbon copies of one another?

White van man is the shock trooper of British Conservatism, - copy of the S*n on his dashboard and shit between his ears. 

Good analogy though obviously I don't agree with all of it.  That said, Jesus was a self employed carpenter so he would also have had a white van and insisted on getting paid cash in hand to avoid tax.  

57 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Good analogy though obviously I don't agree with all of it.  That said, Jesus was a self employed carpenter so he would also have had a white van and insisted on getting paid cash in hand to avoid tax.  

Probably not coins though, they would have rolled through the holes.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Completely agree.

The only possible hope is some of lab/lib/green cololition

I disagree . There is nothing but bad news coming down the tracks.  Inflation forecast to hit 10 % and most people wont remember wage/price spirals. Property will go into reverse not to mention the full force of Brexit . On top of this we have the shit show in Ukraine and  climate change. I think any incumbent faced with this and possibly worse would struggle to get re-elected let alone the current shower of corrupt cunts. The country will be on its knees but the Tories will go down with the ship..

9 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I disagree . There is nothing but bad news coming down the tracks.  Inflation forecast to hit 10 % and most people wont remember wage/price spirals. Property will go into reverse not to mention the full force of Brexit . On top of this we have the shit show in Ukraine and  climate change. I think any incumbent faced with this and possibly worse would struggle to get re-elected let alone the current shower of corrupt cunts. The country will be on its knees but the Tories will go down with the ship..

Just off down the shops to by a £110 pound bottle of milk and a £60 Freddo bar for the kid.

200.gif

6 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Went down well, a better strategy would've been for Reeves to stay home or alternatively strap her mouth shut with gaffa tape.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-61343665.amp

So Labour had 200.000 less members who could have made a hugh difference on the ground in these elections, here's the Labour Shadow Chancellor Rachael Reeves recently,

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/rachel-reeves-says-losing-labour-members-is-a-good-thing-as-party-shakes-corbynite-past-308797/

She's basically telling 200,000 people not to vote Labour.

30 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Nice to see the Tories getting the cunting they deserve in Scotland and Wales.

Yes, a few celebratory drinks in the Gnasher household this evening. Wales has today declared itself a tory free zone, 22 councils, Conservatives nil, and as the old saying goes, they were fucking lucky to get that.

Haha,

• Upvote 1