You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Local elections 5th May

Sugar Ape

Isn't it more a case that they're trying (whether well or poorly) to take the fight to the Tories but have a group of pro-Corbyn supporters firing volleys and distracting from the side-lines that makes it hard to fully focus their efforts?

18 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Isn't it more a case that they're trying (whether well or poorly) to take the fight to the Tories but have a group of pro-Corbyn supporters firing volleys and distracting from the side-lines that makes it hard to fully focus their efforts?

No. Sorry to expand on that if you read the comments of people like Luke Akehurst it's wall to wall Corbyn, others in Starmers inner circle the same, its relentless and tiresome and its having a negative impact with the voters.

I'm not starmers no 1 fan but I genuinely think it doesn't matter what Labour do..if you can look over the catalogue of utter disasters over the last 2 years and think they are doing a good job,you are an utter fucking moron.

It really is that simple.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I'm not starmers no 1 fan but I genuinely think it doesn't matter what Labour do..if you can look over the catalogue of utter disasters over the last 2 years and think they are doing a good job,you are an utter fucking moron.

It really is that simple.

It's a grim result outside of London where Labour is already strong. They've lost ground in the midlands and the north. Bottom line is that there are too many former Labour voters who switched in 2019 post Brexit and they aren't going to switch back as it'll mean admitting they were wrong. An awful lot of it would be worse under Labour views will continue to be spouted.

Best outcome I can see at the next general election is that Labour manages to reduce a Tory majority.

7 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Mrs Willard is at the count. The independent candidate has turned up in full black tie. I am trying to get a photo. 

Don’t be coy, ask for a selfie. Or are you not supposed to take pictures in the count room?

26 minutes ago, clangers said:

It's a grim result outside of London where Labour is already strong. They've lost ground in the midlands and the north. Bottom line is that there are too many former Labour voters who switched in 2019 post Brexit and they aren't going to switch back as it'll mean admitting they were wrong. An awful lot of it would be worse under Labour views will continue to be spouted.

Best outcome I can see at the next general election is that Labour manages to reduce a Tory majority.

Seems to be some sort of Stockholm Syndrome/Cognitive Dissonance on a national, mainly English scale. The cost of living crisis is projected to get worse in October but judging by the votes outside of London that only means voters will double down in their support of the Tories. Bizarre. 

43 minutes ago, clangers said:

The internal Tory party line is this is not as bad as it could have been. Boris will survive. Election postponed till 2024 at the earliest maybe even 2025 so that the inflation/cost of living storm can pass. Next 2 years are going to be tough for voters so don’t risk an election. 

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Some reports this morning suggesting they may go this year before it gets worse.

Yes I’ve heard that argument as well. I don’t think they will risk it. That said, the Durham curry has partly negated party gate in a lot of voters minds so they may try to cut and run before the economic tsunami hits the beach. 

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Labour failing to capitalise on both partygate and the cost of living crisis makes Starmers position almost as perilous as Johnsons imo. Starmer and his crew seem to believe his main political rival is Jeremy Corbyn and not Boris Johnson. Maybe its best for Labour to fuck him off and get someone like Burnham in to unite the party, set out a vision on for the country (taking energy and rail back into public hands for one, a fair living wage for all and an above inflation pay rise for our NHS workers for two) take the fight to the Tories and stop wasting energy fighting the people in their own party who believe in social justice.

Burnham couldn't beat either of the Milliband brothers when he ran against them, what makes you think he can unite anything, much less win an election against the Tories? I'm not even sure the Labour Party can be united at this point, something drastic is going to have to happen; the knives are going to be out for any candidate that wins a leadership election. 

I dont think there is any compulsion for the Tories to go for a GE before they need too. They would be arrogant enough to go again, given especially as labour are divisive but it is not without an element of risk. 

If we go full term under this Parliament, which we are coming up to the half way point, I cant Labour getting there shit together enough as bad as the Tories are, or as worse as they could get. Johnson could eat babies and strangle puppy's live on PMQ's and the politically illiterate cunts in Britain would still vote him in.

13 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

I dont think there is any compulsion for the Tories to go for a GE before they need too. They would be arrogant enough to go again, given especially as labour are divisive but it is not without an element of risk. 

If we go full term under this Parliament, which we are coming up to the half way point, I cant Labour getting there shit together enough as bad as the Tories are, or as worse as they could get. Johnson could eat babies and strangle puppy's live on PMQ's and the politically illiterate cunts in Britain would still vote him in.

Well, to be fair, I don't like puppies, so yeah it'd win my vote. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I knew he was a wrong'un but to not like beans?

There's a few Dowdens here too.

Screenshot_20220506-114138.png

Labour, Lib Dems, Greens and all the Nationalist parties should be on this like a fat kid on a doughnut!

Massive political capital to be made, Beanz rulez!