You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

My grandson is 9 now. We constantly chat about his mum, want him to know he can talk about her and his feelings when he wants.

Fucking breaks my heart for my Mrs, him and my son in law. 

The day she died we thought it was important he said goodbye it all happened so fast I drove him down to the hospital to visit and his dad explained what was happening.

• Upvote 7

My niece has had her surgery to remove the lump, some surrounding tissue and some lymph nodes 

She asked the surgeon his advice on a mastectomy and he thought it unnecessary at this stage 

Her test results mean she has to have a course of chemotherapy which will start on the 20th.

She's very low atm as you can imagine so my Mrs has been trying to give her a pep talk about how cancer loves misery and how having a positive mental attitude towards it can help.

Easier said than done with her though as she can be a 'difficult' person at the best of times.

Understandable though in these circumstances.

• Upvote 2

Like Col fucking hate this thread, but might need some support at some point.

Best Mate has just been diagnosed with bladder cancer and we’re expecting some terrible news elsewhere.

Not me thankfully just had an all clear a few weeks ago myself, hat was heavy enough 

I lost mum 19 years ago this week to cancer and brain tumour. I’m tired before I fucking start fighting again.

Bastard of a disease 

• Upvote 3

Best of look to all and all loved ones. Absolute cunt thread. 

I had the doctors this morning to check something that’s been on my leg for 4 years. Turns out it’s a Basal Cell Carcinoma. Potentially skin cancer. I didn’t like when he put urgent on the referral to Broad Green but it should just be able to be cut out. 

ADC12B83-085A-4848-B1E8-A910819095DB.jpeg

IMG_8564.jpeg

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

Best Mate has just been diagnosed with bladder cancer and we’re expecting some terrible news elsewhere.

Not me thankfully just had an all clear a few weeks ago myself, hat was heavy enough 

I lost mum 19 years ago this week to cancer and brain tumour. I’m tired before I fucking start fighting again.

Bastard of a disease 

One good thing is bladder cancer is normally not as aggressive as some cancers. My dad died from it but he had short term memory issues and was the sort of person who'd ignore his health and he was stage 4 when they realised.

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I had the doctors this morning to check something that’s been on my leg for 4 years. Turns out it’s a Basal Cell Carcinoma. Potentially skin cancer. I didn’t like when he put urgent on the referral to Broad Green but it should just be able to be cut out. 

IMG_8564.jpeg

I know a girl who has had quite a few of these removed. It's obviously not something you'd want but it's really treatable. Soon be back to normal.

• Upvote 1

I had a third colonoscopy in 10 weeks at the beginning of the month and had some polyps removed.

Got a letter this morning with the results of the biopsy and there are no signs of anything untoward which is a bit of a relief.

There are quite a few polyps remaining but too small to remove just yet, but they want to keep an eye on them due to my family history.

Bowel cancer killed my dad, his brother, almost killed his sister, my mum had part of her bowel removed because of it as did one of her brothers so I'm classed as high risk and being checked every three years instead of five.

I had to have FOUR litres of that Movi-Prep stuff before that last one instead of two. My stomach was was churning like a bloody washing machine. Horrible.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I had a third colonoscopy in 10 weeks at the beginning of the month and had some polyps removed.

Got a letter this morning with the results of the biopsy and there are no signs of anything untoward which is a bit of a relief.

There are quite a few polyps remaining but too small to remove just yet, but they want to keep an eye on them due to my family history.

Bowel cancer killed my dad, his brother, almost killed his sister, my mum had part of her bowel removed because of it as did one of her brothers so I'm classed as high risk and being checked every three years instead of five.

I had to have FOUR litres of that Movi-Prep stuff before that last one instead of two. My stomach was was churning like a bloody washing machine. Horrible.

I've had that once and I actually think the taste of that was as bad as the shitting all night.

Awful stuff. Surprised me that the least horrible part was a camera up my arse. And that wasn't a fucking laugh.

Glad you're OK mate

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

IMG_8564.jpeg

If its a BCC you'll be fine mate. Get the bugger whipped out and there's usually no issue as they very rarely invade.

Just have to keep an eye out for them again in future, once you've had one the buggers can keep coming back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

Is there Lynch Syndrome in your family mate? Or Polyposis Coli?

Genetics can be a pain in the arse at times, if you'll pardon the pun.

3 hours ago, RJ Fan club said:

Bastard of a disease 

Best of luck for your mate, how far down the line finding the prognosis are they? 

I've had a large part of my bladder removed at my surgery 2 years ago. I think normally it can be pretty straight forward. I had some complications, but once i was past it, it's been ok since. Things don't work quite how they did, but it's no big deal. Fingers crossed it hasn't spread from the bladder. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

IMG_8564.jpeg

Best of luck stig. Hopefully that'll be the end of it. I always feel when they move fast is a good thing - obviously it might be a sign of bad news, but I see it more as they'll always go as fast as they can. They just normally can't go fast. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Best of luck stig. Hopefully that'll be the end of it. I always feel when they move fast is a good thing - obviously it might be a sign of bad news, but I see it more as they'll always go as fast as they can. They just normally can't go fast. 

Fingers crossed like. Asked me all sorts and was down on it with a microscope light for ages. Said it’s very irregular. Asked about fatigue and fuck me I’ve felt more tired the last few years than ever. Put it down to long Covid. Just want them to cut the cunt out. 

Best of luck to you with your shit. X 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Is there Lynch Syndrome in your family mate? Or Polyposis Coli?

Genetics can be a pain in the arse at times, if you'll pardon the pun.

Neither of those conditions have been mentioned.

I had to go to genetics at the Women's of all places 10-11 years ago. At that time it was just my dad and uncle so I was sent as a precautionary measure.

My Great Grandad on my nans side who I remember well died of cancer and when they heard about that I had to request information on what type.

He was riddled with it but it wasn't bowel cancer, they erred on the side of caution though and told me I needed to be checked every five years as my risk was higher than normal, now of course I'm high risk so every three.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Neither of those conditions have been mentioned.

I had to go to genetics at the Women's of all places 10-11 years ago. At that time it was just my dad and uncle so I was sent as a precautionary measure.

My Great Grandad on my nans side who I remember well died of cancer and when they heard about that I had to request information on what type.

He was riddled with it but it wasn't bowel cancer, they erred on the side of caution though and told me I needed to be checked every five years as my risk was higher than normal, now of course I'm high risk so every three.

Sounds like they are just being cautious but no bad thing.

17 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

IMG_8564.jpeg

Best wishes. Hope it all works out well for you.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned in here a while ago about the same time my step daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer my sisters best mate was diagnosed with bowel cancer. Thankfully she recovered.

She's been on BBC breakfast this morning and there's an article in the Manchester evening news.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/health/watching-dame-deborah-james-die-29391518?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3ICJbdwG2M6BoM6NuhzWM02TFRt2UJ7JL9Bpi3rsY1AaJvHZMVnidhtdI_aem_KQtzzsSe7xGgPAjF-y39Uw

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I mentioned in here a while ago about the same time my step daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer my sisters best mate was diagnosed with bowel cancer. Thankfully she recovered.

She's been on BBC breakfast this morning and there's an article in the Manchester evening news.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/health/watching-dame-deborah-james-die-29391518?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3ICJbdwG2M6BoM6NuhzWM02TFRt2UJ7JL9Bpi3rsY1AaJvHZMVnidhtdI_aem_KQtzzsSe7xGgPAjF-y39Uw

That's great that. I think I am currently under the same team at Christie, but under the surgical side, I've not actually met any oncologists there. 

Do you know if she's asked about this vaccine trial that is going on? I flagged it with my team shortly after surgery and will find out about it when I go back for my histology follow up at the end of July. 

8 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Not sure mate sorry. I do know they flagged her as being high risk for other cancers and she had surgery for that as well.

I just thought it might be worth her asking about it h they didn't offer it to me, I had to ask - apparently Christies isn't up to speed with it yet (a Birmingham hospital is leading). I saw something on the news the other week, actually strangely while I was still on the ward after surgery. They can look in your blood and find these cancer markers, then from there go and make a vaccine directly for your own cancer. The idea being if the cancer kicks back in, your immune system will then recognise it as a threat and shut it down. If I can get on the trial, I'm taking it. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, littletedwest said:

I think she is going to be on the BBC local news at 6.30. I've just caught the headlines now, but literally walked into the room as it was going off, but I'm sure it was the picture you posted from the echo. 

• Upvote 1