You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

Get onto nutrition, LF, and listen to the doctors but don't take what they say as gospel. They follow a very rigid line of thinking when it comes to treatment, and it's not always right, or best, for the patient.

My old man was operated on and then given radiotherapy to absolutely no effect. They then suggested hormones. A little pessimistic, he decided to try something other than the blunt tools they kept offering. He changed his diet and stopped it in its tracks. Well, for a little while at least. It's now coming back, but far slower than it was before he altered what he was eating. I would seriously recommend reading a couple of books (I'll get the titles off him tomorrow) before going ahead with surgery or radiotherapy.

Guest Pistonbroke
The bird has been diagnosed with bowel cancer.

So sorry to hear about that Col, you know i've had to go through this recently, if you need a chat then PM me. Can only hope that she has the curable kind, lost for words..

Not wanting to offer anything you've not already been offered by people who know an awful lot more than I do LF but if there's any recommendation in your info to speak to MacMillan I strongly suggest you and the girlfriend follow it up. Amazing, amazing people and will offer all kinds of brilliant advice and support. Good luck.

The bird has been diagnosed with bowel cancer.
It's shit news, but it's not the end of the world mate. Bowel cancer is quite treatable if it's diagnosed early. I had Stage 3 cancer and they gave me the works, maximum chemo dose, radiation and surgery and more chemo. I'm still here 2 years later. If the oncologists aren't thinking of chemo at this stage that suggests strongly to me that she's in the early stages although I have to stress that I'm not a doctor.

The idea of radiotherapy is to shrink any tumours to make it easier to remove surgically. Chemo is mostly given to knock out any metastases so your oncologists aren't worried about that too much. That's very good news actually.

Radiation therapy can be uncomfortable and sometimes painful. I didn't find it unbearable and it was only for a few weeks. I took Oxycontin for those few weeks and I was pretty comfortable really. Don't be shy of asking for pain relief for as long as necessary.

So life will be a bit difficult for a while but it won't be forever. Forget all that guff about having to be brave. People diagnosed with cancer usually only have two choices...feel sick for a while and get better, or feel sick for a while and die. It's just a matter of enduring something where there's really only one choice. She'll need help and support but she will get better and she'll pretty much get her old life back.

Have a look around the net for survivor stories. You'll be happy to know that there a lot of them. Most cancers are treatable and your bird's definitely is. She'll be around for a long while yet.

PM me at any stage if you like. I read a lot online from people who had been through what I was going through and understood. It helped me to keep positive and dispel some of the fears.

• Upvote 1

A bit of Positivity here Im now speaking to a amazing Girl who is in her last year at Uni to become a Teacher, just 2 years ago she was told she had months to live but there maybe something that could help Bone marrow operation it was very costly and she had about 3 ops and nearly gave up she was told it was working. But they wanted to try once more. but she had given up till we all told her the person she was and how she was gonna hit her dream at becoming a teacher, The last treatment worked and as i said she is now a year form fulfilling her dream. Not all the trajic stories turn out like this and im seriously gutted for all on this thread but i thought i needed to say this. Never ever give up even when it seems you are doomed science is an amazing thing and in some cases it can help. She is a inspiration and she said to me she is loving and enjoying life and she is so thankful of recieving a second chance.

• Upvote 1

Not wanting to offer anything you've not already been offered by people who know an awful lot more than I do LF but if there's any recommendation in your info to speak to MacMillan I strongly suggest you and the girlfriend follow it up. Amazing, amazing people and will offer all kinds of brilliant advice and support. Good luck.

She already has her own MacMillon nurse mate, she's been amazing already believe it or not.

Nice one Simon.

Times like your going through you have to stay positive your needed more than ever you have to stay strong and say everything is going to be fine to keep the fight going my couragous friend showed me that its not the end and it can be sorted out. Spend as much time as you can wth her tell her you love her cuddle her keep her close give her more meaning to be here, If she can fight then shes fighting hope all goes ok for you and your family a little prayer helps aswell im not Religious but i do pray when times are really bad and it helps keep you sane.

Luckily we've both worked in MH services for years so we both have a very dark sense of humour which has helped the last few days.
That can help enormously.

When I had my op, I stuck a post-it note on my belly right where they were going to cut me. It was under the hospital gown so the surgeon wouldn't see it until I was on the table.

It read "Don't forget my doggy bag!".