You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Nightmare at the moment.

As I've mentioned the wife's dad has cancer of the esophagus, now it looks like her sister 'may' have Ovarian cancer. Just unreal.

Her dad had his op last week but they couldn't connect the stomach, so they've got to go back in today for a seven hour op to connect his bowel to his throat instead. Sounds like the staff haven't been looking after him and he's been sat in his own crap and unshaven for most of the last week. He's been getting confused and shouty - which is really unlike him.

Then yesterday her sister, who's been doing all the heavy lifting with hospital visits and stuff for their dad, went for a scan and they found something called a 'complex cyst' on her ovaries. They said it's an unusual shape and the 'markers' in her blood were high, so they've sent her for more bloods. She had to break the news to her mum last night, with the dad's op being today.

Just unreal. Heartbroken for them all. They really do deserve a break.

Life eh. It's mundane until it's not. 

Fingers crossed for both of them Mark.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Nightmare at the moment.

As I've mentioned the wife's dad has cancer of the esophagus, now it looks like her sister 'may' have Ovarian cancer. Just unreal.

Her dad had his op last week but they couldn't connect the stomach, so they've got to go back in today for a seven hour op to connect his bowel to his throat instead. Sounds like the staff haven't been looking after him and he's been sat in his own crap and unshaven for most of the last week. He's been getting confused and shouty - which is really unlike him.

Then yesterday her sister, who's been doing all the heavy lifting with hospital visits and stuff for their dad, went for a scan and they found something called a 'complex cyst' on her ovaries. They said it's an unusual shape and the 'markers' in her blood were high, so they've sent her for more bloods. She had to break the news to her mum last night, with the dad's op being today.

Just unreal. Heartbroken for them all. They really do deserve a break.

Life eh. It's mundane until it's not. 

Christ, sending the best of luck to all concerned xx

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from having my bone scan news. The main and good news is that the cancer has not got into my bone structure. The pain in the arse news is I will have to do Radio Therapy at Addenbrookes  for 4 to 7 weeks every bloody day, to clear the prostate and possibly a lymph gland, which I have to have a Pep scan for. This doesn't start for at least two months. About an hour there and back and it only takes under 1/2 hour. Anyway, other than exhaustion I'm gonna live.

You're all gonna have to put up with me for a bit longer yet!

Anyway, all the very best to those of you and your loved ones who are having to go through all this shit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 21

4 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Just got back from having my bone scan news. The main and good news is that the cancer has not got into my bone structure. The pain in the arse news is I will have to do Radio Therapy at Addenbrookes  for 4 to 7 weeks every bloody day, to clear the prostate and possibly a lymph gland, which I have to have a Pep scan for. This doesn't start for at least two months. About an hour there and back and it only takes under 1/2 hour. Anyway, other than exhaustion I'm gonna live.

Anyway, all the very best to those of you and your loved ones who are having to go through all this shit.

That's superb news mate x 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Really pleased to hear that. Thank fuck !  My next scan is in June. You are giving me hope. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

That's great news!

PET scans take a bit longer than the CT scans, so are a bit of a pain, but are great for peace of mind: they go to a molecular level and can pick up any other bastard things that may have been lurking there and thinking of fucking you over. It's great the doctors are being so thorough. Sounds like you are in good hands.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

That's great news!

PET scans take a bit longer than the CT scans, so are a bit of a pain, but are great for peace of mind: they go to a molecular level and can pick up any other bastard things that may have been lurking there and thinking of fucking you over. It's great the doctors are being so thorough. Sounds like you are in good hands.

PET scan not PEP is it? I couldn't even get that right!

3 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

Great news mate. Here's to you kicking it's arse and making a full recovery.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

Great stuff mate.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

What a relief, Dave…and as Stouffer says, it’ll be over before you know it. There’ll be many more Christmases to endure!

16 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

I was going to make joke about the PEP scan but remembered this is not the forum for that subject!

I think this is very definitely the place for humour…

…unless I’m missing something 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

Let us know when you start mate. Addenbrookes ain’t too far from me, I can come up there a couple of times for a coffee if you like, and drive you back to the train station. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

20 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

Splendid news!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Let us know when you start mate. Addenbrookes ain’t too far from me, I can come up there a couple of times for a coffee if you like, and drive you back to the train station. 

Don't do it, @tokyojoe - you're too old to be groomed on the internet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

On 29/03/2022 at 15:07, lifetime fan said:

Mum went in for the op on her back yesterday and as they were concerned by her arm

operated on that at the same time too. 

Results from the op will be 6-8 weeks and she’s waiting for an appointment for the sentinel node biopsy but they want to do that one under general anaesthetic. 

Mum is still waiting for results. 

Gra (her husband, posted about him before) has the same rare form of skin cancer as mum.

He’s had his ops and has started a years course of immunotherapy, however his last CT scan showed shadows on the brain so he’s been rushed in for an MRI. 

He’s hoping to have the results back within a week. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Mum is still waiting for results. 

Gra (her husband, posted about him before) has the same rare form of skin cancer as mum.

He’s had his ops and has started a years course of immunotherapy, however his last CT scan showed shadows on the brain so he’s been rushed in for an MRI. 

He’s hoping to have the results back within a week. 

Best wishes mate. 

• Upvote 1