Jump to content
withnail71

Cancer

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Just got to get on with it, we basically knew a couple of weeks ago, convinced the Mrs to go to the docs on Monday and scan today confirmed it, results will confirm the severity.

 

We're a pair of cunts and will take this head on, fuck it.

Best of luck, NR. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the love in the world to you and Mrs Stouff. Every fibre of my being is hoping for a positive outcome for you.

 

In the last few weeks we lost my lovely Auntie Annie to breast cancer and my cousin's 15 year old lad has had to have half his leg removed because of bone cancer.

 

Please please can we find a cure for this awful affliction.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/12/2021 at 22:34, Stouffer said:

Proud of you Ray, that's what we're going with. 

 

Fuck you Cancer. (Not Ray, he's a leg').

Fuck. 
 

If I can help let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shitting it today, don't think I've felt fear like this before. 

 

I can't wait until Christmas is over.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

Shitting it today, don't think I've felt fear like this before. 

 

I can't wait until Christmas is over.

Thinking of you all today mate and I'll have my fingers crossed for a positive prognosis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

Shitting it today, don't think I've felt fear like this before. 

 

I can't wait until Christmas is over.

Fingers crossed she has the best outcome possible. I know from my own experience this is such a tough time. Personally I found it much better once I knew the path I was on and I could get on with my treatment plan, despite the fact I didn't get the news I wanted from this stage. It doesn't mean it's all plain sailing from there, but it does help mentally knowing the challenge you face and what the doctors have as a plan to help you both. Please send me a PM if you want to have a chat or rant about it. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

Shitting it today, don't think I've felt fear like this before. 

 

I can't wait until Christmas is over.

Thoughts are with you both, wishing you the very best of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Shitting it today, don't think I've felt fear like this before. 

 

I can't wait until Christmas is over.

Best of luck to you both hope everything works out great lad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Shitting it today, don't think I've felt fear like this before. 

 

I can't wait until Christmas is over.

Sending you both love and good thoughts mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Shitting it today, don't think I've felt fear like this before. 

 

I can't wait until Christmas is over.

Wishing for the best outcome possible for you both x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2021 at 13:37, Section_31 said:

Could do with some advice if anyone has got any experience of this type of thing please. 

 

Sadly, my father in law has been diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus. The only bit of 'good news' is that it hasn't spread so in theory he could have the operation. 

 

However, he needs to be fit enough for the op as it's supposed to be major and he's 73. They took him in for this treadmill test and said that, at present, he's not fit enough for it.

 

He's otherwise fit, but as he hasn't been eating and only been given milkshakes to drink which he hasn't been drinking as he doesn't like them, he's also not been going out much as he's scared of catching Covid. Also, if he does have the op, he'll need a few months' of chemo beforehand which I imagine will set his energy levels back too.

 

I asked what the doctors had said in terms of getting him in shape, and they've only given this mealy mouthed business about finding him some different milkshakes. Nothing about a fitness programme or anything else. 

 

I feel this is make or break, as a family we need to get him in shape somehow, but also find ways to keep him optimistic and give him something to aim for. Any ideas if a charity or anyone would have any specific advice on this?

 

 

Hi Mark.  Could I suggest a few things to help get him fit?  One is reps of walking upstairs - this is a good way to get cardio and lung fitness.  Another is a simple gadget to strengthen and increase lung capacity - they're available on Amazon for about 20 quid.  Ensure you get one that is independently adjustable for both inhalation and exhalation.  I'm assuming the milkshakes are protein shakes?  Can he manage other liquid food like soups?  you may be able to fortify those with protein and other supplements - chicken and suchlike

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/12/2021 at 16:11, Stouffer said:

Just got to get on with it, we basically knew a couple of weeks ago, convinced the Mrs to go to the docs on Monday and scan today confirmed it, results will confirm the severity.

 

We're a pair of cunts and will take this head on, fuck it.

So sorry to hear this Stouff - it's a bastard and no mistake, but keep strong together and think about the days when she has beaten.  We are all with you brother.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Hi Mark.  Could I suggest a few things to help get him fit?  One is reps of walking upstairs - this is a good way to get cardio and lung fitness.  Another is a simple gadget to strengthen and increase lung capacity - they're available on Amazon for about 20 quid.  Ensure you get one that is independently adjustable for both inhalation and exhalation.  I'm assuming the milkshakes are protein shakes?  Can he manage other liquid food like soups?  you may be able to fortify those with protein and other supplements - chicken and suchlike

 

Cheers mate. I think things are looking up a bit now on this score. He's due to start chemo this week. He had a camera in his stomach and it's not spread there thankfully, or anywhere else that they know of, it's remained confined.

 

I think now that he's been given a target to aim for he's drinking his shakes (yep, they're some kind of shake for people who can't eat) but he's having small meals too.

 

He started out trying to do too much, walking too many steps then injuring himself, but now he's listening to my sister in law and following the steps plan the hospital have laid down, and he's slowly building his fitness.

 

I can't believe this guy's bad luck. He had a heart attack in his 50s and a triple bypass, he's got dementia (you wouldn't know it though), had a stroke two years ago and now this shit, he's a beautiful, beautiful man too. 

 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

 

Cheers mate. I think things are looking up a bit now on this score. He's due to start chemo this week. He had a camera in his stomach and it's not spread there thankfully, or anywhere else that they know of, it's remained confined.

 

I think now that he's been given a target to aim for he's drinking his shakes (yep, they're some kind of shake for people who can't eat) but he's having small meals too.

 

He started out trying to do too much, walking too many steps then injuring himself, but now he's listening to my sister in law and following the steps plan the hospital have laid down, and he's slowly building his fitness.

 

I can't believe this guy's bad luck. He had a heart attack in his 50s and a triple bypass, he's got dementia (you wouldn't know it though), had a stroke two years ago and now this shit, he's a beautiful, beautiful man too. 

 

I'll be rooting for him.  I have something called Barrett's syndrome, which can lead to oesophageal cancer, so I'm checked out regularly.  In fact, I was medically spit roasted on Saturday morning with cameras in both ends.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I'll be rooting for him.  I have something called Barrett's syndrome, which can lead to oesophageal cancer, so I'm checked out regularly.  In fact, I was medically spit roasted on Saturday morning with cameras in both ends.  

You say medically but nobody believes that bit!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Thanks everyone, not feeling anywhere near as brave as I did last week.

I would think that's perfectly normal mate, there's bound to be all sorts of horrible shit floating around in your head, but, I know it's easy to say, but you need to overcome that for both your sakes.

A positive frame of mind is your friend and will help give you the strength you need for both of you to fight this thing off.

Having read the replies to your original post it's obvious you have a lot of friends here and everyone is rooting for you both.

We're here.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Thanks everyone, not feeling anywhere near as brave as I did last week.

As @Harry's Lad says, I don't think it's unusual. I'd have times, especially right before getting news where I would feel sick to the bottom of my stomach. But you get through it. Just keep it all in small, manageable, bite sized chunks. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best mates wife has just been diagnosed with bowel & liver cancer. She’s 47.

 

Bawled my eyes out at the news. 
Fucking horrible disease. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×