You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

Oh well, finally had the preliminary scan. It was booked for the wrong time, about 45 minutes late. By Mount Whatsits record so far that wasn't bad I suppose. Got home and crashed out, bloody knackering this is. Fuck knows what a months worth is gonna be like.

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Oh well, finally had the preliminary scan. It was booked for the wrong time, about 45 minutes late. By Mount Whatsits record so far that wasn't bad I suppose. Got home and crashed out, bloody knackering this is. Fuck knows what a months worth is gonna be like.

Stay strong buddy. You've got to keep looking after yourself - the stronger you can be, the better you'll be able to deal with any treatment. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Worth it mate.

They're different cancers obviously, but my sister in law took Ill with lung cancer and had chemo as well as radiotherapy which wiped her out.

Just as she finished her treatment and had a scan they found she had breast cancer too so there was treatment for that as well.

It was a hard slog for her and she hated the travelling and waiting around too and she had to use patient transport which made it worse.

But she's still here pissing me off (she's boss really) by binge watching The Time Travellers Wife with my missus when she came to stay last weekend eight years later.

As Barry says, stick with it mate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Look after yourself now as best you can. 

It gets hard after all the treatment is done because emotionally that's when you'll really start to process what's happened and have to deal with things.

Keep strong brother. X

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

It will be worth it brother. My father-in-law came home yesterday, cancer free, but he'd been in hospital for four months, had two major operations and months of chemo, but now he can watch the racing and see his grandkids. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Champ said:

I did Not name our group but I am taking part in the Macmillan Mighty Hike walking 26 miles from Callander to Killin in Perthshire on Saturday 3 September to raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Support.

Any donations would be much appreciated

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/sheila-mackie4?

On our way home from the commonwealth games. 

Will sort a donation out for you tomorrow Cath after I’ve slept for 20 hours! 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Done nine days out of twenty for radiotherapy now. Knackered not because of the treatment but the travelling.

Onwards and upwards. 

That sounds exhausting.

I’m sure we’ll look back in years to come (if we’ve not all been fried by then) and think what we put people through in terms of the only treatments available 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KMD7 said:

You're welcome Cath. Mind those feet like!

My feet were shredded when I did the Moonwalk a few years back. Magic Sponge, late of these parts, recommended Flexitol. I’m hoping that and a decent pair of walking shoes will see me right

• Upvote 1

And thank you to Anonymous (2) and Anonymous (3). I’m assuming it’s people on here as it would be a bit odd for my Friends and Family not to out themselves.

We’ve done a few practice walks but we’ve not done anything further than about 13 miles so far.  Now I’m writing that I’m thinking I really need to do a couple of long ones before the big event.

That said, my biggest fear is having to share a room the night before with someone I’ve not even met yet

2 hours ago, Champ said:

And thank you to Anonymous (2) and Anonymous (3). I’m assuming it’s people on here as it would be a bit odd for my Friends and Family not to out themselves.

We’ve done a few practice walks but we’ve not done anything further than about 13 miles so far.  Now I’m writing that I’m thinking I really need to do a couple of long ones before the big event.

That said, my biggest fear is having to share a room the night before with someone I’ve not even met yet

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

50% done today. Still knackered mind!

We're all with you Dave.  Clearly not suffering like you, but you know what I mean.  There's no way a bolshy old cunt like you isn't going to see this off.  I'm sending you positive thoughts as I type. xx

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1