You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

2 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Next door neighbour died of a heart attack other year. His Mrs died of cancer and he hit the ale hard and died within 5 years of her

Just found out her daughter passed away yesterday at 35 from kidney cancer,  single mum to two kids under 12. Awful shit

Fucking hell that is awful.

5 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Next door neighbour died of a heart attack other year. His Mrs died of cancer and he hit the ale hard and died within 5 years of her

Just found out her daughter passed away yesterday at 35 from kidney cancer,  single mum to two kids under 12. Awful shit

Thats terrible. Poor kids ffs

Could do with some advice if anyone has got any experience of this type of thing please. 

Sadly, my father in law has been diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus. The only bit of 'good news' is that it hasn't spread so in theory he could have the operation. 

However, he needs to be fit enough for the op as it's supposed to be major and he's 73. They took him in for this treadmill test and said that, at present, he's not fit enough for it.

He's otherwise fit, but as he hasn't been eating and only been given milkshakes to drink which he hasn't been drinking as he doesn't like them, he's also not been going out much as he's scared of catching Covid. Also, if he does have the op, he'll need a few months' of chemo beforehand which I imagine will set his energy levels back too.

I asked what the doctors had said in terms of getting him in shape, and they've only given this mealy mouthed business about finding him some different milkshakes. Nothing about a fitness programme or anything else. 

I feel this is make or break, as a family we need to get him in shape somehow, but also find ways to keep him optimistic and give him something to aim for. Any ideas if a charity or anyone would have any specific advice on this?

26 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Could do with some advice if anyone has got any experience of this type of thing please. 

Sadly, my father in law has been diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus. The only bit of 'good news' is that it hasn't spread so in theory he could have the operation. 

However, he needs to be fit enough for the op as it's supposed to be major and he's 73. They took him in for this treadmill test and said that, at present, he's not fit enough for it.

He's otherwise fit, but as he hasn't been eating and only been given milkshakes to drink which he hasn't been drinking as he doesn't like them, he's also not been going out much as he's scared of catching Covid. Also, if he does have the op, he'll need a few months' of chemo beforehand which I imagine will set his energy levels back too.

I asked what the doctors had said in terms of getting him in shape, and they've only given this mealy mouthed business about finding him some different milkshakes. Nothing about a fitness programme or anything else. 

I feel this is make or break, as a family we need to get him in shape somehow, but also find ways to keep him optimistic and give him something to aim for. Any ideas if a charity or anyone would have any specific advice on this?

Try these mate, and good luck.

https://opa.org.uk/support/

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Stouffer said:

Just come back from the hossy with the Mrs. Awaiting biopsy results but basically told she'll be starting chemo after Christmas before having surgery.

Merry Christmas eh?

Arr mate, so sorry to hear this. I know you know this but make sure you both have as wonderful a Christmas as possible. Sending as much love and best wishes to you both as possible over the internet. xx

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Arr mate, so sorry to hear this. I know you know this but make sure you both have as wonderful a Christmas as possible. Sending as much love and best wishes to you both as possible over the internet. xx

Cheers mucker.

Just got to get on with it, we basically knew a couple of weeks ago, convinced the Mrs to go to the docs on Monday and scan today confirmed it, results will confirm the severity.

We're a pair of cunts and will take this head on, fuck it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 18

33 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

Just come back from the hossy with the Mrs. Awaiting biopsy results but basically told she'll be starting chemo after Christmas before having surgery.

Merry Christmas eh?

Sorry to hear this brother. Love to your Mrs,  I know there's no such thing as a silver lining but in these circumstances, it's good that there's a treatment plan in place. She will get there mate, you both will. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Merry Christmas eh?

Ah mate, that's awful news. My best hopes and wishes are with you, your Mrs and your family.

Positive thoughts.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Just got to get on with it, we basically knew a couple of weeks ago, convinced the Mrs to go to the docs on Monday and scan today confirmed it, results will confirm the severity.

Sorry fella.

My missus was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2013, she found it was easier to deal with once she knew. Hardest part was telling family and friends.

8 years free now.

Hope your journeys go the same way.

FUCK YOU CANCER, SHITHOUSE.

• Upvote 3

Best of luck with everything Stouffer. Its a prick but I found positivity and dealing with the present day the best way for me to deal with it. No point in worrying about tomorrow - get through today and deal with tomorrow then. It reduces the overwhelming aspect of the whole thing. The support from family and friends was so helpful so just be there and let her know she is loved and has a great future with you. That will help her through the rough times. 

I dunno if I told this story before but while waiting on biopsy results (the doc had told me in not so many words I had cancer) I had a nightmare where I was just about to crash and I woke thinking "I don't want to die"

That moment got me through the shit, horrible, painful, awful times. I was willing to go through anything to survive. It's amazing the strength and power both physical and mental, you get when you really want something. Give her that feeling - that she has a lot to fight for and she will be alright. Take care of yourself too. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Sorry fella.

My missus was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2013, she found it was easier to deal with once she knew. Hardest part was telling family and friends.

8 years free now.

Hope your journeys go the same way.

FUCK YOU CANCER, SHITHOUSE.

Get some, get some.

Well done you inspirational fuckers. Thats what it's about. Thanks Pete.  X

• Upvote 1

Just now, Razoray said:

Best of luck with everything Stouffer. Its a prick but I found positivity and dealing with the present day the best way for me to deal with it. No point in worrying about tomorrow - get through today and deal with tomorrow then. It reduces the overwhelming aspect of the whole thing. The support from family and friends was so helpful so just be there and let her know she is loved and has a great future with you. That will help her through the rough times. 

I dunno if I told this story before but while waiting on biopsy results (the doc had told me in not so many words I had cancer) I had a nightmare where I was just about to crash and I woke thinking "I don't want to die"

That moment got me through the shit, horrible, painful, awful times. I was willing to go through anything to survive. It's amazing the strength and power both physical and mental, you get when you really want something. Give her that feeling - that she has a lot to fight for and she will be alright. Take care of yourself too. 

Proud of you Ray, that's what we're going with. 

Fuck you Cancer. (Not Ray, he's a leg').

6 hours ago, Stouffer said:

All the best to you both mate.