You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

5 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

My Dad has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. They're doing more tests to see what more they can find out but it doesn't look good. He's 81, from Birkenhead and I'm fucking devvoed. What an arsehole of a disease. By all accounts it's one of the most lethal yet under researched cancers. 

Sorry to hear that mate. All the best to your Dad and the rest of your family.

• Upvote 1

Hang in there Redders... I'm going to St Patrick's Cathedral on Saturday down here in Melbourne to light a candle - first anniversary of my Mother-in-law's cancer demise (who needs covid, eh when there's that cunt cancer?). 

I'll say a prayer for your Da.  

Hopefully, every little helps with this bastard of a disease....

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

Hang in there Redders... I'm going to St Patrick's Cathedral on Saturday down here in Melbourne to light a candle - first anniversary of my Mother-in-law's cancer demise (who needs covid, eh when there's that cunt cancer?). 

I'll say a prayer for your Da.  

Hopefully, every little helps with this bastard of a disease....

Just copied and pasted that to my mum (edited out the profanities). Really means a lot pal. Thank you. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Me mams husband has been diagnosed with T4 nodular melanoma.

He’s being booked in for a sentinel lymph node biopsy to see if it’s spread to vital organs. 

Bloody hell. Fingers crossed for the best news.

On 03/08/2021 at 17:23, lifetime fan said:

Me mams husband has been diagnosed with T4 nodular melanoma.

He’s being booked in for a sentinel lymph node biopsy to see if it’s spread to vital organs. 

Fuck sake, sorry about to hear that.

Two bits of advice I would give to you and the rest of your family are

1. something that was said to me the day after I was diagnosed. Stay away from going down internet rabbit holes about the disease. Every person's diagnosis is different and their fitness to deal with the journey is also. Ask the doctor as much as you can and only use trusted sites like cancer research UK. 

2. There is no point worrying about what tomorrow might bring. Deal with now only. It saves energy and mentally makes everything that bit more manageable. 

There are many people that get better or live with the disease now. Treatment has greatly improved in the past 10/15 years. 

Take care of yourself and best wishes to him and your mam. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

One of my oldest friends, woman younger than me, had pains in her legs a couple of months ago. Went to the doctors and turned put she had stage 4 lung cancer, it was already in her brain. Inoperable, treatment is life extension, nothing more. No other symptoms, like a lot of people smoked when she was younger but hadn't in years. Now she can hardly talk and is knackered after walking a few steps. Just caught up with her today for the first time after her diagnosis and start of treatment. Bloody hell it has taken a toll. Will leave behind a 3 year old and a husband. 

Live your life lads and ladies. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

One of my oldest friends, woman younger than me, had pains in her legs a couple of months ago. Went to the doctors and turned put she had stage 4 lung cancer, it was already in her brain. Inoperable, treatment is life extension, nothing more. No other symptoms, like a lot of people smoked when she was younger but hadn't in years. Now she can hardly talk and is knackered after walking a few steps. Just caught up with her today for the first time after her diagnosis and start of treatment. Bloody hell it has taken a toll. Will leave behind a 3 year old and a husband. 

Live your life lads and ladies. 

Sorry to hear this Paulie.

• Upvote 1

Anyhoo, my Dad's scans found that the cancer is only in his pancreas and hasn't spread. Therefore they could operate and remove the tumor. Thing is, he's 81,  it's an 8 hour op, and he would likely spend the next 18 months in and out of hospital having other surgery so he's declined the op.

He starts chemo next week and he could go for 5 months or 5 years. He's just not prepared to spend the next 18 months in a hospital bed. I totally agree with his decision. As some of you cunts know I live in Leeds and my folks are in Devon. Not ideal for this situation but I went and visited yesterday and I'll be doing so every 3 weeks or so. Nothing else I can do.

He's a proper old school Birkenhead tough lad and he's very pragmatic about it. I've always said if I could be half the man my Dad is I'd be very proud of myself. So it's in the lap of destiny now and we'll see how it goes. Posting this here because it's cathartic; I've known some of you on here for well over a decade and I know some of you GF nobheads will get it. 

Bit pissed. Thanks for listening x

• Like 2
  • Upvote 15

3 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Anyhoo, my Dad's scans found that the cancer is only in his pancreas and hasn't spread. Therefore they could operate and remove the tumor. Thing is, he's 81,  it's an 8 hour op, and he would likely spend the next 18 months in and out of hospital having other surgery so he's declined the op.

He starts chemo next week and he could go for 5 months or 5 years. He's just not prepared to spend the next 18 months in a hospital bed. I totally agree with his decision. As some of you cunts know I live in Leeds and my folks are in Devon. Not ideal for this situation but I went and visited yesterday and I'll be doing so every 3 weeks or so. Nothing else I can do.

He's a proper old school Birkenhead tough lad and he's very pragmatic about it. I've always said if I could be half the man my Dad is I'd be very proud of myself. So it's in the lap of destiny now and we'll see how it goes. Posting this here because it's cathartic; I've known some of you on here for well over a decade and I know some of you GF nobheads will get it. 

Awful mate but I get his angle. What a man. Everything crossed that it's the longest of the scenarios x 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I see where your dad's coming from and you can only admire and respect him. He sounds a hell of a fella.

My best wishes to you, your dad and your family.

Eight months after being told he was terminally ill, Mrs O'Ts dad died tonight. It occurs to me that my last word to him was "Hello". That would have amused him.

When he was told he wouldn't have time left to drink it, he started sharing out his selection of whiskies. I've cracked open the Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve as a parting glass.

Thank you and goodnight, Colin.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 16

20 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Eight months after being told he was terminally ill, Mrs O'Ts dad died tonight. It occurs to me that my last word to him was "Hello". That would have amused him.

When he was told he wouldn't have time left to drink it, he started sharing out his selection of whiskies. I've cracked open the Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve as a parting glass.

Sorry to hear this Mal. Hope Mrs O'T is holding up. x 

27 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Sorry to hear this mate. Kindest thoughts for your wife and family.

May he rest in peace.

Raise that glass high.

• Upvote 2