You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Thanks mate. Means a lot x sorry about what you went through. 

Just come out to the garden for some fresh air. Morbid in there. Everyone half in silence then making silly small talk. I’m gonna throw ac/dc on and start spraying ale everywhere in a minute. 

I’ve just hung the washing out for them and was ha hung up a pair of my mums pyjamas and it kind of hit me then. Had to fight back a bit because I’m the eldest too and don’t want anyone seeing me weak because people are in the verge of breaking down. 

She’s not in pain apparently. Nurses have not long gone so she is all morphined up. I’m using this as a sounding board so sorry if I’m being drippy. 

You're not being drippy at all.

It's a traumatic time and one of the most stressful things you can experience. 

I was the same, I didn't want anybody seeing me being what I thought was weak either, nor does anybody else.

I was probably too stoic for my own good because months later it bit me on the arse and I was a bit of a mess for a while.

Like I said in my previous post, there is no right way or wrong way in this situation, all the people in your family will be feeling the same way.

Say what you need to say to her, that's  important and be there for her, she'll probably appreciate it more than she lets on but when you need time, take it.

I really wish I'd used this forum back then, there's some really good people on here who are there when you need them.

But you already know that.

• Upvote 5

My mum passed away the early hours of this morning. She isn’t in any pain now. Her house has been a circus for days but last night she had us close family round and then we said our goodbyes and left her husband with her. 

I don’t know how I feel at all. It hasn’t sunk in one bit. I’ve just been doing normal stuff since I got the call at half 4. Terrified if it’s some sort of delayed grief but I’m just relieved she is out of pain. 

• Upvote 27

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

My mum passed away the early hours of this morning. She isn’t in any pain now. Her house has been a circus for days but last night she had us close family round and then we said our goodbyes and left her husband with her. 

I don’t know how I feel at all. It hasn’t sunk in one bit. I’ve just been doing normal stuff since I got the call at half 4. Terrified if it’s some sort of delayed grief but I’m just relieved she is out of pain. 

Fucking hell mate. I'm very sorry for your loss and look after yourself.  Like you say she's not in pain anymore. Mind yourself.

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Very sorry to hear this, deepest sympathy to you and all your family. She may not be in any pain anymore but you’ve just lost your mum so make sure to recognise and accept your pain during these difficult times. It will be better in the long run. Horrible times, I know, don’t really have the words but sending you love anyway (for what that’s worth from an Internet stranger).

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm sorry for your loss Mate.

Sorry for your loss mate. It's a traumatic time. When my dad died I was OK one minute then a wreck a minute later so the grief can be sort of delayed.

I remember people saying you never get over it, I didn't understand that.  Now I do.

Make sure you look after yourself It's one of the worst things life can throw at you.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Sorry to hear that mate. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Really sorry to hear this. 
My Brother in law passed away from this fucking disease in 2017. It hit me quite hard (he was 48) so how the hell my wife & her mum & sisters coped. Fuck knows. Condolences to all your family. Take it easy. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

So sorry to hear about your Mum pal look after yourself always on the end of the line if needed 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

So sorry to hear this, take care of yourself and don’t always feel you have to be “the big man”