You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

Some good news in this thread for a change. 

New blood test can detect 50 types of cancer

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/mar/31/new-blood-test-can-detect-50-types-of-cancer?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Notes

New blood test can detect 50 types of cancer

System uses machine learning to offer new way to screen for hard-to-detect cancers

Published:00:01 Tue 31 March 2020
 Follow Nicola Davis

A new blood test that can detect more than 50 types of cancer has been revealed by researchers in the latest study to offer hope for early detection.

The test is based on DNA that is shed by tumours and found circulating in the blood. More specifically, it focuses on chemical changes to this DNA, known as methylation patterns.

Researchers say the test can not only tell whether someone has cancer, but can also shed light on the type of cancer they have.

Dr Geoffrey Oxnard of Boston’s Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, part of Harvard Medical School, said the test was now being explored in clinical trials. “You need to use a test like this in an independent group at risk of cancer to actually show that you can find the cancers, and figure out what to do about it when you find them,” he said.

Writing in the journal Annals of Oncology, the team reveal how the test was developed using a machine learning algorithm – a type of artificial intelligence. Such systems pick up on patterns within data and as a result learn to classify it.

The team initially fed the system with data on methylation patterns in DNA from within blood samples taken from more than 2,800 patients, before further training it with data from 3,052 participants, 1,531 of whom had cancer and 1,521 of whom did not.

Using this information, the system sorted the samples into groups based on the methylation patterns. The team then taught the system which groups reflected which type of cancer.

“In pregnant women we look in their free-floating DNA for foetal abnormalities,” said Oxnard. “We know this [approach] exists, the question is how do you fine-tune and perfect the art of looking for cancer in this free-floating DNA? And that is what the machine learning did.”

The team then tested the trained system on another set of samples from 1,264 individuals, about half of whom had cancer.

The results reveal that less than 1% of those without cancer were wrongly identified by the system as having the disease. “It is really important you don’t tell non-cancer patients they have cancer,” said Oxnard.

When it came to identifying people with cancers the team found that, across more than 50 different types of cancer, the system correctly detected that the disease was present 44% of the time – although the team stress that figure could differ if the test was used to screen a general population, rather than those known to have cancer.

Detection was better the more advanced the disease was. Overall, cancer was correctly detected in 18% of those with stage I cancer, but in 93% of those with stage IV cancer.

The team say the results are exciting as they offer the possibility of a new way to screen for cancers that are otherwise difficult to detect. For example, the system correctly identified 63% of those with stage I pancreatic cancer, rising to 100% in stage IV.

The team further found that the system could shed light on the type of cancer. For 96% of samples deemed to show cancer, the test was able to offer a prediction for in which the tissue the cancer originated, with 93% of these predictions found to be correct.

Dr David Crosby, head of early detection at Cancer Research UK, said that detecting cancers in their early stages is important as they are less aggressive and more treatable.

Although this test was still at an early stage of development, the initial results were encouraging, he said. “And if the test can be fine-tuned to be more efficient at catching cancers in their earliest stages, it could become a tool for early detection.”

But Crosby added there was work to do. “More research is needed to improve the test’s ability to catch early cancers and we still need to explore how it might work in a real cancer screening scenario,” he said.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

About 5 weeks ago my dad went for an endoscopy, which he has every 2 years as a result of a brain tumor 30odd years ago, for the first time they found a cancer in his bowels. 

Within 2 weeks of diagnosis he had surgery in Aintree hospital on the Monday before the hospital cancelled all non urgent operations. Just got the news that they got it all and there's no follow up treatment. 

Relieved beyond words as we've all been so worried. He's home.and recovering from the surgery with my mum who, as all mums are, is a fucking hero. 

It's the first relative I've had who's had that cunt of a disease in my memory (I don't remember the brain tumor) and it just struck me how the word evolves. I've heard the word cancer hundreds of thousands, if not millions of times in my life but when the doctor told me and him they had found some...it became more than a word. It became a spectre of darkness, hanging over us like the sword of Damocles. When this lockdown is all over I can't wait to give the old man the hug he needs and the pint he deserves. 

Fuck cancer. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 24

2 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

About 5 weeks ago my dad went for an endoscopy, which he has every 2 years as a result of a brain tumor 30odd years ago, for the first time they found a cancer in his bowels. 

Within 2 weeks of diagnosis he had surgery in Aintree hospital on the Monday before the hospital cancelled all non urgent operations. Just got the news that they got it all and there's no follow up treatment. 

Relieved beyond words as we've all been so worried. He's home.and recovering from the surgery with my mum who, as all mums are, is a fucking hero. 

It's the first relative I've had who's had that cunt of a disease in my memory (I don't remember the brain tumor) and it just struck me how the word evolves. I've heard the word cancer hundreds of thousands, if not millions of times in my life but when the doctor told me and him they had found some...it became more than a word. It became a spectre of darkness, hanging over us like the sword of Damocles. When this lockdown is all over I can't wait to give the old man the hug he needs and the pint he deserves. 

Fuck cancer. 

Brilliant news, mate. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Fuck cancer. 

Good news that, yes Fuck It. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Fuck cancer. 

Get in! x 

• Upvote 1

That's fantastic @Paulie Dangerously . Especially no need for follow up in these times. I had a call with my oncologist this morning as I'm due a scan and he said it's all on complete lockdown and no scans happening at all. I've absolutely no doubt if this disease had landed during the last 2 years, I wouldn't have survived. I was fucking lucky, but had no scope for error at all and there's just no way my treatment would have been as successful under the circumstances we see today. 

• Upvote 3

My ex has been to see the oncologist today and has now been told a prognosis of 2-3 years, with the “could be more, could be less” caveat.

she won’t be offered chemo, but hormones to stop her producing oestrogen.

Reading that from her now hasn’t made me feel anything, so I’m waiting to be hit with a wave of new emotions in a day or two.

fucking horrible thing.

got to try and keep her positive, but that’s made so much harder by the current situation.

she dropped our daughter off with me this morning on her way to hospital as we decided to go ahead with our 2 week each plan after talking it through and thinking it over, so my missus has moved out for the next 2 weeks, so that’s going to be extra hard for my ex to be without our little girl when she probably needs a hug more than ever.

Gutted. Absolutely gutted.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

My ex has been to see the oncologist today and has now been told a prognosis of 2-3 years, with the “could be more, could be less” caveat.

she won’t be offered chemo, but hormones to stop her producing oestrogen.

Reading that from her now hasn’t made me feel anything, so I’m waiting to be hit with a wave of new emotions in a day or two.

fucking horrible thing.

got to try and keep her positive, but that’s made so much harder by the current situation.

she dropped our daughter off with me this morning on her way to hospital as we decided to go ahead with our 2 week each plan after talking it through and thinking it over, so my missus has moved out for the next 2 weeks, so that’s going to be extra hard for my ex to be without our little girl when she probably needs a hug more than ever.

Gutted. Absolutely gutted.

Best wishes mate. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Absolutely brutal, indiscriminate bastard of a disease. 

I lost an in-law earlier today due to leukaemia/complications. They were only diagnosed 3 or 4 weeks ago and the doctors were aiming for and confident of full remission. Then, today, they deteriorated suddenly, suffering two bleeds on the brain and passed shortly after. Leaving behind three kids all under the age of 10.

I'm numb. Struggling to process it. Haven't cried yet. It doesn't seem real. I could rationalise it if they couldn't treat it and gave her a couple of years or whatever, but the quickness of it all has left me stunned. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 16

27 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I lost an in-law earlier today due to leukaemia/complications. They were only diagnosed 3 or 4 weeks ago and the doctors were aiming for and confident of full remission. Then, today, they deteriorated suddenly, suffering two bleeds on the brain and passed shortly after. Leaving behind three kids all under the age of 10.

I'm numb. Struggling to process it. Haven't cried yet. It doesn't seem real. I could rationalise it if they couldn't treat it and gave her a couple of years or whatever, but the quickness of it all has left me stunned. 

Its not fair mate. x Thoughts with you and yours 

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Cheers. Much appreciated. I'm up with them now. It was my brother's wife. It's been a very difficult evening. 

Fucking hell.  Just can’t imagine what you are going through. Sounds so shite, but stay strong.  

3 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

That’s heartbreaking to read. Feel awful for you and the rest of the family mate.

14 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

That's absolutely terrible news. Sorry for your loss mate.