You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, littletedwest said:

Mate of my dad died Thursday. He was at my dads funeral and well which was end of May.

He retired around then diagnosed and died so quick.

Also a good friend of mine, her mums been terminal for a while she's now at the end my mate says, shes only 55.

Depressing shit

Sorry to hear that mate. 

My birds auntie passed away from it last week. Funeral is Friday. Lovely woman, been diagnosed just over a year and was given 12/13 months to live so they were accurate about that. She did the race for life in the summer and for someone poorly seemed to be doing well. The last 4 weeks she completely deteriorated. 3 kids as well. Thankfully our of school, two 17 year old daughters and a 21 year old son. I honestly believe there is a cure out there and they are keeping it from us. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

My birds auntie passed away from it last week. Funeral is Friday. Lovely woman, been diagnosed just over a year and was given 12/13 months to live so they were accurate about that. She did the race for life in the summer and for someone poorly seemed to be doing well. The last 4 weeks she completely deteriorated. 3 kids as well. Thankfully our of school, two 17 year old daughters and a 21 year old son. I honestly believe there is a cure out there and they are keeping it from us. 

What makes you say that stig? Because you think there's more money to be made from treating cancer than curing it?

I can certainly see a reason why for big pharma they'd like to keep the disease there - the costs of the drugs is just insane, I don't know about the chemo, but the other stuff. I had a drug called cetuximab, which from what I can tell looking around the internet, an average treatment is about $80k. Why would you want to shutdown that revenue stream? 

But the reality is there are so many cancer charities trying to cure this disease, I just can't believe there are people who know the answer but would be able to keep it to themselves. I can see big pharma is perhaps not putting the r&d dollars into cure as it could be bad for business, but I don't see how if there is a cure it could escape everyone. 

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I can certainly see a reason why for big pharma they'd like to keep the disease there - the costs of the drugs is just insane, I don't know about the chemo, but the other stuff. I had a drug called cetuximab, which from what I can tell looking around the internet, an average treatment is about $80k. Why would you want to shutdown that revenue stream? 

But the reality is there are so many cancer charities trying to cure this disease, I just can't believe there are people who know the answer but would be able to keep it to themselves. I can see big pharma is perhaps not putting the r&d dollars into cure as it could be bad for business, but I don't see how if there is a cure it could escape everyone. 

Glad to belatedly read your good news Wom. Also glad you have t had to actually spend the cost of the drugs via the American health market.

When you consider the auld bastards among the royal family tend to hit high numbers it does sometimes make you question treatment availability.  But also if money was no object, Steve Jobs would have sorted something.

I’d say if and when it becomes actionable to switch off (either genetically or via maintenance pharmaceutically) it will likely be available to those who can afford it.

I lost my younger sister last January which probably changed me forever after seeing it’s vicious progress as time went on. 

You seem to get extra strength, even though it’s deeply upsetting inside, visiting every other day and the frustration of not been able to do anything.

One time after a few days in Liverpool I came back and she had slipped into unconsciousness, our Steven was playing music and talking to her, this is when it hit me bad knowing the inevitable was at hand, so for 3 days we never left her side holding her hand until she went, then packing all her stuff up to take away was quite harrowing but has to be done. 

After knowing about the shit but sweeping it under the carpet for years , it had finally come in a personal way and it’s hard and I won’t forget that experience. 

I also lost a good friend of mine , who was a member on here, 3weeks ago . He had only moved back to Liverpool 2 years ago after living down here for many years , it’s hard to take in that these have gone , but it is what is , a bastard, a fuckin’ bastard.

• Upvote 9

25 minutes ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Glad to belatedly read your good news Wom. Also glad you have t had to actually spend the cost of the drugs via the American health market.

When you consider the auld bastards among the royal family tend to hit high numbers it does sometimes make you question treatment availability.  But also if money was no object, Steve Jobs would have sorted something.

I’d say if and when it becomes actionable to switch off (either genetically or via maintenance pharmaceutically) it will likely be available to those who can afford it.

So there is definitely something to how late the royals live, but I genuinely think that is because of better all round medical care. As much as everyone loves the NHS, it's not a bottomless pit and it does fail, especially during periods of austerity (or Tory rule) like we're going through at the moment. The fact is our NHS care falls short many times. As lucky as I was, the NHS at times was awful - individuals were brilliant, but I'm talking about the NHS machine. They are so short staffed too, so short of resources, your health is at risk when you're under their care. I actually started my process paying for my initial scope and I did it in the hospital Prince Phillip is currently in. The difference between there and the NHS is incredible. It's LFC against Tranmere and ultimately that won't extend people's lives. Not everyone gets the treatment. Or not everyone can get it quickly enough. It shortens lives. I don't think it's a conspiracy, it's just we get Aldi brand treatment. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

So there is definitely something to how late the royals live, but I genuinely think that is because of better all round medical care. As much as everyone loves the NHS, it's not a bottomless pit and it does fail, especially during periods of austerity (or Tory rule) like we're going through at the moment. The fact is our NHS care falls short many times. As lucky as I was, the NHS at times was awful - individuals were brilliant, but I'm talking about the NHS machine. They are so short staffed too, so short of resources, your health is at risk when you're under their care. I actually started my process paying for my initial scope and I did it in the hospital Prince Phillip is currently in. The difference between there and the NHS is incredible. It's LFC against Tranmere and ultimately that won't extend people's lives. Not everyone gets the treatment. Or not everyone can get it quickly enough. It shortens lives. I don't think it's a conspiracy, it's just we get Aldi brand treatment. 

Bang on, that.

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Its also because they've never done a tap of work in their lives. They've slept well, eaten well, and had the best of everything.

They're a microcosm of how long humans could live if we weren't forced into shite jobs, eating shite convenience food, and a myriad of other debilitating factors. Even people that we consider "superfit" aren't abnormally long lived. Probably just wear their bodies out.

Oh aye, with the royals it’s also down to getting the best of everything.

Even a top of the range mattress improves your quality of life and health. Then there’s highest-grade food etc. Personal dietician. Personal

chef. Optimal levels of vitamins and minerals. 

All adds up when you’re being supported for life money no object by everyone else.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, easytoslip said:

I lost my younger sister last January which probably changed me forever after seeing it’s vicious progress as time went on. 

You seem to get extra strength, even though it’s deeply upsetting inside, visiting every other day and the frustration of not been able to do anything.

One time after a few days in Liverpool I came back and she had slipped into unconsciousness, our Steven was playing music and talking to her, this is when it hit me bad knowing the inevitable was at hand, so for 3 days we never left her side holding her hand until she went, then packing all her stuff up to take away was quite harrowing but has to be done. 

After knowing about the shit but sweeping it under the carpet for years , it had finally come in a personal way and it’s hard and I won’t forget that experience. 

I also lost a good friend of mine , who was a member on here, 3weeks ago . He had only moved back to Liverpool 2 years ago after living down here for many years , it’s hard to take in that these have gone , but it is what is , a bastard, a fuckin’ bastard.

Really resonates with me this. You get extra strength while they are ill. Sleepless nights and seeing them low.

I wasnt prepared for the grief though. I thought because I knew it was coming ect it would be easier. But most days it hits me at some point.

What makes me laugh is the care home he was in rang me to say he'd passed. I drove there got out the car, got to his room. Then heard him say " it's ok I'll walk it off".

He'd had a seizure, so when they rang me he had stopped breathing but a minute later he took another breath. Poor carer was mortified, she tried to ring me but I was driving.We laugh now only my dad would try and walk off death

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Its also because they've never done a tap of work in their lives. They've slept well, eaten well, and had the best of everything.

They're a microcosm of how long humans could live if we weren't forced into shite jobs, eating shite convenience food, and a myriad of other debilitating factors. Even people that we consider "superfit" aren't abnormally long lived. Probably just wear their bodies out.

Yeah, they have loads going for them. I don't want to assess the effort they put into work, because they do work, just different to me. But I do a job based out of an office, which is different to other people across my family or other generations. I'm pretty sure physical hard jobs are tougher on your body than what I do. But they don't go home and cook and clean and iron or whatever. So there life is easier, they get better food, better medical care, better everything, but I don't think it indicates a conspiracy is all I'm saying. 

Oh and your point about space lizards is valid too. 

4 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Really resonates with me this. You get extra strength while they are ill. Sleepless nights and seeing them low.

I wasnt prepared for the grief though. I thought because I knew it was coming ect it would be easier. But most days it hits me at some point.

What makes me laugh is the care home he was in rang me to say he'd passed. I drove there got out the car, got to his room. Then heard him say " it's ok I'll walk it off".

He'd had a seizure, so when they rang me he had stopped breathing but a minute later he took another breath. Poor carer was mortified, she tried to ring me but I was driving.We laugh now only my dad would try and walk off death

Haha walk it off , yes sometimes the grief hits at some point and it probably always will , sometimes say when at the bar in the pub something will come on the jukebox, that may remind you and that can be quite tough to keep it inside , but it’s surprising how you do deal with it and how it ease in time , though you’ve learnt that death is sadly a part of life.Grim.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

It’s unilateral over here, iv always been treated for my kidney disease in the public hospital system, as it’s a chronic condition, but if you earn above a certain income, you have to have private health insurance or your tax is increased (which is a fairly progressive system) via supplementary payments.

i had my first op at end of September cancelled, so switched to a different hospital with a much bigger transplant team, then used my private health insurance to access the surgical team in their private capacity, and was under the knife in 6 weeks. I’m back in the public system for my 3 months of ongoing recovery treatment.

its a tiered system, that I have made the best of, but it still pisses me off and I feel guilty that the fella down the road can’t access the same treatment.

Health insurance costs us about 380$ per

month, me da has to pay the same, luckily he still had his, or we couldn’t have done the transplant privately. He’s retired now, and me step ma doesn’t earn a great deal as she is part time. They are thinking of giving up the private health cover now, at the time of life when they are more likely to need it.

WRT the royal leeches, I get the point about better all around living, it is just one of those things that make yer go, hmm. 
lack of investment in the Public Health ServiceS seems to be the same in these modern English speaking democracies, free market comes first. It’s unenlightened, and a stain on the countries involved.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

My ex-wife survived breast cancer 2 or 3 years ago and it looks like it’s back as secondary cancer of the bone, which from reading online isn’t curable.

shes got an appointment on Tuesday to find out more.

im in bits every time I think about what it’s going to do to my little girl.

9 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

My ex-wife survived breast cancer 2 or 3 years ago and it looks like it’s back as secondary cancer of the bone, which from reading online isn’t curable.

Mate thats awful news, everything crossed for Tuesday x 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Lousy news mate. Hope everything works out well.

• Upvote 1