You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

53 minutes ago, Champ said:

Currently baking like a woman possessed for the weekend long Coffee Morning I'm running at work for https://coffee.macmillan.org.uk. Here's hoping we raise a decent amount. It shouldnt be like this though

Unknown to me, my kids got their school involved in this last year. They missed the coffee morning, but they had a school fair a few weeks later and ran a stand and made over a grand. This year the school have adopted it as a thing, so it's nice to know it's something that might live on in the school for many years and help others along the way. 

• Upvote 6

22 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Unknown to me, my kids got their school involved in this last year. They missed the coffee morning, but they had a school fair a few weeks later and ran a stand and made over a grand. This year the school have adopted it as a thing, so it's nice to know it's something that might live on in the school for many years and help others along the way. 

Great to hear.

I’m a strong believer in good coming from the most awful situations

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Champ said:

Great to hear.

I’m a strong believer in good coming from the most awful situations

I don't think it's anything I could do. I don't know if it makes sense, but if I fund raise for a cancer charity, it's like I only give a shit because of what I've been through. But for me it would be a genuine appreciation of charities around that helped in such a difficult time. But I'm not sure everyone gets that. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

Great news Barry. Her indoors has just learnt she is in full remission from lymphoma.

Just shows this bastard disease can and will be beaten.

Amazing news, Dave. Chuffed for you mate.

Though it does mean her dreadful niece and cunt boyfriend will no doubt be coming round.

Life gives with one hand and takes away with the other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

Great news Barry. Her indoors has just learnt she is in full remission from lymphoma.

Great news for her mate, brilliant. As has been said, always a wince to open this thread in the hope that its good and not bad news.  Made up for her x 

I nearly wrote that I'm gutted for you equally but I know you love her really. 

• Like 1

Guest Pistonbroke
13 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

Also excellent news, TJ. We lost a few friends this year due to this cunt of a disease, so excellent news, even from strangers, means that despite their loss the fight goes on. Made up for your Missus and Barry. xx

21 hours ago, Champ said:

Currently baking like a woman possessed for the weekend long Coffee Morning I'm running at work for https://coffee.macmillan.org.uk. Here's hoping we raise a decent amount. It shouldnt be like this though

This was not posted for the rep...just wanting to plug Macmillan’s annual Coffee Morning fundraiser 

Incredible news on the last couple of pages. The Klopp celebration was perfect, good work!

We're having a MacMillan fundraising week next week, as we do every year. This time we've raised the game, were making architecture themed cakes to go with our lunchtime presentation about the RIBA Stirling Prize on Tuesday. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Incredible news on the last couple of pages. The Klopp celebration was perfect, good work!

We're having a MacMillan fundraising week next week, as we do every year. This time we've raised the game, were making architecture themed cakes to go with our lunchtime presentation about the RIBA Stirling Prize on Tuesday. 

This I want to see.

Putting my lemon drizzle cake to shame there, Karl

5 minutes ago, Champ said:

This I want to see.

Putting my lemon drizzle cake to shame there, Karl

I won't be personally! I'm an average baker but I'm hosting the presentation so that's my part in it. Some of my colleagues are great though, so I'll make sure to take some photos.

I may attempt a Corbusian white box!

16 hours ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Usually I dread seeing this thread on the front page, but it's great to have good news!

Agreed. And I like the aspect that most of us are only connected by a username , avatar and posts around a forum (beans related or otherwise), but you really feel invested in the good (or sometimes bad) news when it emerges.

• Upvote 2