You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

Had a drink just rambling so please forgive.  My cousin said his dad saw my dad on Wednesday.  They said there usual goodbye "see you when I see you" but then my dad shook his hand which he didn't normally do. His memory issues effected him but I think he knew.

even 2 hours before death he could work out numbers in his head.

• Upvote 3

His death was terrible but he wasn't in pain. Multiple seizures then he went. Spent last few months reading on cancer death but nobody's death is the same.On his last day he started to drink, he spoke until an hour before passing. At 2 hours before he went he wanted to know liverpool's next match after that confusion.

• 5 weeks later...

Today I learned that a friend and also former colleague of mine had succumbed to this bastard of a disease at the weekend. We had lost touch over time since being made redundant although he went quiet on FaceAids - he was usually quite vocal as he liked his sports, but like other friends, facebook is no longer people's preferred option for social media and of course, I had my own drama's with family to deal with, you never quite find that time to reconnect.

He appeared funnily enough after the second leg vs Barca, and we exchanged pleasantries where I learned he had moved back home to Trinidad. He didnt allude to anything.

I learn today that the evil disease got him at the weekend, a man of 47. A wife and two teenage daughters, one at Uni, one at school remain. He moved back to Trinidad to pass at home.

Ive been in bits this afternoon but perspective is a good leveller. Your health really is your wealth even if you have little else left. He was a good Red too and I can imagine him beaming ear to ear when Big Div sealed the game in Madrid a couple of weeks back. He wouldnt have missed that for the world !

Farewell Neal, Number 6 is for you Big Guy. Rest easy. x

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

On 21/05/2019 at 00:42, littletedwest said:

Had a drink just rambling so please forgive.  My cousin said his dad saw my dad on Wednesday.  They said there usual goodbye "see you when I see you" but then my dad shook his hand which he didn't normally do. His memory issues effected him but I think he knew.

even 2 hours before death he could work out numbers in his head.

A few of us used to go and see my mate at his hospice every Thursday from December last year, through to his death back in April.

Everytime we used to leave him, he'd shake our hands and thank us for everything.

I'd normally tell him to "........man the fuck up, and we'll see you next week".

Last time we saw him, when we went to leave, he shook our hands and told us to shut the door on the way out, but as you say, almost like he knew......

And apparently, on the morning of his death, he had breakfast with his wife and kids. When the female chief came around to see if he fancied anything else for breakfast, in front of everyone, he said, "yeah, I'd like a piece of you".

Ten minutes later, he was dead.

• Upvote 1

I posted on the dark side lately that I was diagnosed with tongue cancer before Christmas. I had surgery where two-thirds of the tongue was removed (replaced with graft from thigh) and had intensive chemo and radiotherapy which finished in March. Lost 3 stone in a  rough 6 months but came off the morphine last month and went back to work on reduced hours 4 weeks ago. 

Work have been extremely supportive and everyone has been so genuinely nice but one colleague blew me away last week. I would deal with this guy intermittently but wouldn't know him that well. He sent me an €100 e-voucher for flights saying that I've had a tough time and will deserve a holiday when better and he just wanted to put something towards it. Some people are class. 

• Upvote 13

Sorry to hear that mate. It's an absolute fucker of a thing as I've lost friends and family to it and my father has recently been diagnosed with Kidney cancer. 

It's in the early stages and we are just waiting for a date for him to go have surgery. 

Like I said I've lost a close friend to it when he was 21 and he died two weeks before his daughter was born. It's been 15 years now and not a day goes past without me thinking of him. 

It does get easier though mate.

• Upvote 2

Just lost a friend to this over the weekend. He was 31, started in his sinuses/inner ear, and they had apparently got it down to smaller than a pea then it came back, and spread. His liver got the worst of it this time around and he succumbed to it. A few months back I lost my aunt, she had colon cancer, beat it, was clean and free about 1.5 - 2 years, and then had a small recurrence in her lungs. I think with her it was ultimately the treatment that killed her and it seemed to be that they got the cancer this most recent time but she developed Pneumonia and couldn't shake it as her immune system was so fucked from the recent radiation and chemo. She was 74 so it was a bit easier to deal with but quite honestly it's still shit all the same. One of the hardest parts with her has been my grandmother, 98 years old and had to cremate her daughter because of this shit.

I don't very much like posting this kind of thing on here but reading the other replies I thought I'd add my own. I wish everyone affected by this disease whether it be directly or through the loss of a friend/loved one all the best.

• Upvote 5

It's a horrible illness. My dad shrunk from 11 stone to I'd guess six stone or less when he died. Ended up with a tube in his kidney to a bag, unable to get out of bed for four weeks at the end.

He was never a hard case in a fighting sense but he was nails with the illness.

Never complained about pain ect.  Even on day he died the carer asked how he was " ah ok not good not bad" was his response. It made it easier for us, if he'd have gone to pieces it would have killed us.

• Upvote 1

It's great news about Razoray, and we've shared a couple of mutual experiences re chemo side effects! He knows that I got the all-clear a couple of weeks ago, as regards the danger of my cancer spreading to the brain. It was weird having that outcome on the back-burner whilst focusing on a certain magnificent sporting event, but such is life.

I'm undergoing stem cell transplant soon and have got an operation on Monday for a Hickman Line to be inserted. I only just got rid of the Picc Line in my arm, and now have to get this thing that goes into your chest and neck.

The Picc was a pain, initially having to wrap my arm in clingfilm before getting a shower. On one occasion, I waited for my wife to come to the ward and help me (do it for me), only to find out that there was no shower working on the ward, and I would not be allowed to use another ward's shower due to the danger of cross contamination. After 3 days of this I was a bit ripe, in a festival wet-wipes kind of way. Luckily there is a brilliant elasticated arm cover that you can get for £15 (it has definitely been worth buying it) and it arrived a day before the shower was fixed.

Being stuck on a ward with everything being done for/ to you made me feel a little infantalised and frustrated, particularly having previously an NHS worker. There is so much time to kill, as the hours drag by. Keeping myself clean, in spite of all the chemo side effects, took on an even newer and greater importance.

So, feeling a bit annoyed and pissed off that it will be an even bigger pain to shower with the Hickman than with the Picc, I did some browsing to see what was available to keep the line dry and sterile. There was really only one website selling the bags, so have decided to wait until Monday and see what the medical staff can do in terms of waterproof dressings. Anyway, I came upon this website during the search and immediately felt a little less inconvenienced and sorry for myself:

http://wiggly-bags.yolasite.com/

I'm not affiliated with these people in any way, in case anyone is worried. It's just I know how much stress and anxiety this experience has caused my wife, so can only imagine what it might be like for the parents of such young children undergoing such a horrible illness. Cancer really needs to be cunted in the bastard.Despite all the chemo discomfort undergone as a patient, it is horrible to see what friends and family have to go through, as they want to help but are left feeling helpless. But as Razoray has found out, people can amaze you with their kindness.

• Upvote 10

Good man, Jarv. Great post.

After best part of 20 years having the very shower issue you mention above every few months, I’ve now been prescribed the below for free.

Revolutionised the whole process of treatment, because I don’t have to wait 2 weeks for a proper shower without loads of fucking about anymore. My happiness was off the scale such that I was tempted to wear the fucker to the shops.

Its a matter of time.

AF6EE4B6-BA51-43DB-9983-AEDEA28EA09C.jpeg

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Good man, Jarv. Great post.

After best part of 20 years having the very shower issue you mention above every few months, I’ve now been prescribed the below for free.

Revolutionised the whole process of treatment, because I don’t have to wait 2 weeks for a proper shower without loads of fucking about anymore. My happiness was off the scale such that I was tempted to wear the fucker to the shops.

Its a matter of time.

AF6EE4B6-BA51-43DB-9983-AEDEA28EA09C.jpeg

That's huge, mate - mine isn't half that size!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

That's huge, mate - mine isn't half that size!

Ha, “one doesn’t like to boast” aside, I’ve got a stinking hangover and have put up a picture of the wrong one. Mine’s the half one which ends at the elbow.

• Upvote 1