You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

My dad's weight has dropped from 11 stone 3 to 7 stone 9 in 8 months. He was sat in his underwear today which is so out of character all his life he's been a shirt and tie man.

He's actually fine in talking ect but more tired. Still no idea how long he's got

Oh, ted, it’s beyond words

• Upvote 1

My dad's weight has dropped from 11 stone 3 to 7 stone 9 in 8 months. He was sat in his underwear today which is so out of character all his life he's been a shirt and tie man.

He's actually fine in talking ect but more tired. Still no idea how long he's got

I know that feeling pal, all to fucking well.

If you ever wanna chat I’m here. X

• Upvote 1

Bad week. Spoke to dad's gp Wednesday then went to visit him. He nephrostomy tube had come out. Dropped him at hospital they put him on a ward. I went home. Hospital woke me to say say he had sepsis and kidney failure.

Spoke to his doctor who said he was re attaching his tube but if he hadn't improved within 3 hours that it would be an idea to contact family.

He'd gone from walking to semi conscious and on oxygen within 10 hours.

Within 2 hours of reattaching his tube he was up and doing his crossword. Seems fine now but a close call

Bad week. Spoke to dad's gp Wednesday then went to visit him. He nephrostomy tube had come out. Dropped him at hospital they put him on a ward. I went home. Hospital woke me to say say he had sepsis and kidney failure.

Spoke to his doctor who said he was re attaching his tube but if he hadn't improved within 3 hours that it would be an idea to contact family.

He'd gone from walking to semi conscious and on oxygen within 10 hours.

Within 2 hours of reattaching his tube he was up and doing his crossword. Seems fine now but a close call

Horrible, Ted. Don't know what else to say. Mind yourselves.
  • Upvote 1

Did have a laugh though. He's in a gown with flowers on.

" you look better today dad"

"What now I'm dressed in a blinking frock"

There is always something to laugh about in the grimmest situations.

Thinking of you and your dad

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

My work chum has been in for surgery for prostate cancer today. Its been on my mind all day. Can't wait to hear that things have gone ok

We are waiting on the PET scan results for my missus, nodules on the lungs... never been so scared of anything in my life

Hope your friend gets good news

We are waiting on the PET scan results for my missus, nodules on the lungs... never been so scared of anything in my life

Hope your friend gets good news

We had that with Mum a couple of years back

The waiting is bloody horrible, hopefully you get the all clear

• Upvote 1

My dad seems much better at the minute. I'm thinking his nephrostomy tube wasn't working properly before it came out which is why he deteriorated so quick. At the moment he's in good spirits going shopping ect. He's still 7 stone 9 so looks very thin but luckily lost no more weight.

Hopefully have a bit more time than we first thought

My dad seems much better at the minute. I'm thinking his nephrostomy tube wasn't working properly before it came out which is why he deteriorated so quick. At the moment he's in good spirits going shopping ect. He's still 7 stone 9 so looks very thin but luckily lost no more weight.

Hopefully have a bit more time than we first thought

Good that he's keeping his spirits up. All the best to you and him mate.

• Upvote 1

He can't actually remember he's ill which is a blessing really. He's been told twice, but he can't record memories well so after being upset twice we aren't telling him again.

My mum's best mates husband was diagnosed with liver cancer last month,gave him 6 months to live yesterday. Even though mum and dad are separated they still see each other a few times a week so more bad news for her.

• 7 months later...

Dads in a bad way. Bed bound not eating and down to seven stone. Doctor coming to him tomorrow and may issue a statement of intent. Dont even know what that is.

He's in no pain which is good not even taking paracetamol.

To add to it my mums just had a heart valve replacement and is in hospital 

6 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Dads in a bad way. Bed bound not eating and down to seven stone. Doctor coming to him tomorrow and may issue a statement of intent. Dont even know what that is.

Absolute shit news mate. I wish all the best to your mum & dad.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Thinking of you and yours, mate.

46 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

All the best to you all, ted.

I dont know what a statement of intent is either and a quick google search didnt throw much up.

Are you or your dad in touch with any support organisations? They can be a great source of help of all kinds

1 hour ago, littletedwest said:

Thoughts with you pal I've been down this road myself some good sorts on here if you ever need to talk 

Once it is felt that you may have only weeks to live then the doctors may also issue a "statement of intent" form which indicates in the event of you dying out of hours when the surgery is shut then the doctor would be happy to certify your death. This helps to prevent having to call the police and being transferred to the police mortuary for an "expected death"

found that about statement of intent 

5 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Thoughts are with you mate. Stay strong. God bless.