You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

Hope everything goes well Bob. I will just say that, for all the horror stories like my father-in-law's, there are plenty with a (relatively) happy ending.

My Dad was diagnosed about five years ago, went though successful (although shitty) treatment, and is now absolutely fine.

(He says touching every single piece of plastic covered chipboard he can find!)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Find out the results of the MRI tomorrow, and hate all the bloody waiting around.

So far, through every step, I've assumed everything's gonna be ok and it's nothing to worry about, and I've been caught off guard by it being shit news.

So, I should be trying to prepare myself for shit news, but I can't. I just assume it's gonna be ok. We'll be told it's small, local and operable and she'll be grand in a couple of weeks time.

It's our daughters birthday tomorrow, too.

It's the best way to approach it, and you're lucky that you can IMO.

It will probably be OK. Statistically. If you can commit to that, it'll be easier to get through.

Having an anxious brain means that's pretty much not an option for me.

All the best, hope it's literally the least fuss possible given the circumstances, and is sorted out soon.

Find out the results of the MRI tomorrow, and hate all the bloody waiting around.

So far, through every step, I've assumed everything's gonna be ok and it's nothing to worry about, and I've been caught off guard by it being shit news.

So, I should be trying to prepare myself for shit news, but I can't. I just assume it's gonna be ok. We'll be told it's small, local and operable and she'll be grand in a couple of weeks time.

It's our daughters birthday tomorrow, too.

Focus on your daughters birthday. That is definitely going to happen!

As I try to tell myself, why worry til you have something to worry about

• Upvote 1

Got the best bad news we could ask for. Hasn't grown, doesn't show up anywhere else, operable, all the things we wanted to hear and a huge weight off her mind.

Operation booked in for later this month with a 3ish week course of radiotherapy afterwards to be sure.

Not out of the woods, obviously, but nice to have some of the waiting over and know where she stands.

Thanks for your thoughts and words, all

• Upvote 9

Got the best bad news we could ask for. Hasn't grown, doesn't show up anywhere else, operable, all the things we wanted to hear and a huge weight off her mind.

Operation booked in for later this month with a 3ish week course of radiotherapy afterwards to be sure.

Not out of the woods, obviously, but nice to have some of the waiting over and know where she stands.

Thanks for your thoughts and words, all

Jeez, Bob, you've had me on tenterhooks all day. No news is good news? Or, too awful to talk about?

Really pleased for you all. Fingers crossed things continue to go well.

Hope your daughter had a great birthday!

Jeez, Bob, you've had me on tenterhooks all day. No news is good news? Or, too awful to talk about?

Really pleased for you all. Fingers crossed things continue to go well.

Hope your daughter had a great birthday!

Ha, sorry, dinner to 'celebrate', an hour at park and some presents to open took my mind a long way from this forum, in a good way!!

Strange one, this. And very sad. 

There'll be a few on here who might remember that around the time of joining this site I was in the middle of a divorce. We'd been together for 9 years or so, married for 3 and a half of those. We had no kids and it was a pretty amicable split. We moved on with our lives and I assumed our paths would never cross again, especially as she moved first to Lancashire then to Newcastle, eventually remarrying and popping out two kids in quick succession. 

Anyway, I found out this week that she died of a brain tumor in December last year at the age of 38. There are a lot of factors to process, mainly how sad it is for her family and especially her two young kids. Also there is the indisputable fact that it's someone I spent a major part of my life with and certainly loved her deeply once. There's also the fact that she told our only real mutual friends that she didn't want me to know she was ill. That stings a bit to be honest but it's likely that she thought I'd try to contact her and possibly disrupt her family unit or whatever. In truth I wish I'd known and I'd just have liked the opportunity to write to her. Fuck knows what I'd have said, like, but I guess that's academic now.

Sad days and I'm still trying to process all of the facts. 

Cancer is a cunt.

• Upvote 2

Strange one, this. And very sad. 

There'll be a few on here who might remember that around the time of joining this site I was in the middle of a divorce. We'd been together for 9 years or so, married for 3 and a half of those. We had no kids and it was a pretty amicable split. We moved on with our lives and I assumed our paths would never cross again, especially as she moved first to Lancashire then to Newcastle, eventually remarrying and popping out two kids in quick succession. 

Anyway, I found out this week that she died of a brain tumor in December last year at the age of 38. There are a lot of factors to process, mainly how sad it is for her family and especially her two young kids. Also there is the indisputable fact that it's someone I spent a major part of my life with and certainly loved her deeply once. There's also the fact that she told our only real mutual friends that she didn't want me to know she was ill. That stings a bit to be honest but it's likely that she thought I'd try to contact her and possibly disrupt her family unit or whatever. In truth I wish I'd known and I'd just have liked the opportunity to write to her. Fuck knows what I'd have said, like, but I guess that's academic now.

Sad days and I'm still trying to process all of the facts. 

Cancer is a cunt.

Tough one that RL and you have my condolences on your loss.  I guess it would have been hard for her to contact you about it for the same reasons you posted yourself.  At least your split was amicable.  Must be tough for you to process.