You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top Ten Overrated players

18-5

35 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Paul Scholes for me.  From about the age of 34 onwards every man and his dog starting rewriting his career as if he was the best player in the prem every year before that.

Never won player of the year, or was even nominated for it as far as I know. He was nominated for the Balon Dor 5 times and didn't receive a single vote.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boss said:

This season...

Wilfred Zaha - Isn't consistent enough to be considered a top player. 

Jorginho - He can pass a ball but what else can he do? 

Luke Shaw - Shit. Case of fat cunt with lashings of too much, too soon.

Shkodran Mustafi - Awful and clueless. A dangerous combination.

Hector Bellerin - He runs fast, that's it.

Jesse Lingard - Mr fucking parrot head himself. Crap, and he's a grown man not a kid.

Alvaro Morata - Has no discernible ability. 

Luciano Vietto - The Argentinian Shane Long

Jordan Pickford - Too small to be a keeper - Courtois was right.

Eric Dier - Scott Parker syndrome. 

There was a line of thought on here a few summers ago that we were doomed for ever more unless we signed Vietto.

Morata was just ill-suited to Chelsea in the same way Morientes was for us. Simeone will get him firing again.

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

Does anyone actually rate Mustafi? All I ever hear is people saying how shit he is. Not sure he's rated even inside his own house.

He's one of these players that always gets high ratings on whoscored, even though he's crap whenever you watch him. Alberto Moreno is another one like that. Very odd. 

3 minutes ago, Boss said:

He's one of these players that always gets high ratings on whoscored, even though he's crap whenever you watch him. Alberto Moreno is another one like that. Very odd. 

He's like all of Arsenal's defenders - terrible.

Koscielny is ok to be fair, but the rest are all Moreno-esque.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

This is now the case with David Silva IMO. 

Mmmm....I kind of agree....Noel Gallagher raving about Silva a few years back - the passes "he saw"...let him sleep with my wife crap....the greatest player he's ever seen etc...such utter tosh for attention and all knowledgeable! 

Silva great player etc, but when the Spanish public look back over their success in the last 15-20 years, his name will be not be anonymous...but will be a long way down the list!

• Upvote 1

Michael Carrick is a very close second.  They talk about him now as if he was some sort of lynchpin for them.  In reality he showed how little midfield really mattered in their game plan and why Ferguson was never really arsed about the position.

It’s one thing hipsters going on about Scholes and maybe even bringing those quotes from Xavi and other foreign players who probably watched him play about 10 times in total.  It’s even more annoying when ex players who were here and played against him start doing it.  Henry when asked on Sky put Scholes as the best player he played against in the prem and put him ahead of Gerrard as a midfielder and honestly I just sat there with my mouth open.  Ignoring the various world class players that are better than Scholes, the guy played against Gerrard in all his various forms.  Scholes doesn’t touch any of them.

Season in season out Gerrard was a wrecking machine generally surrounded by misfits.  If the clubs swapped these 2 players one would have become a mid table team along time ago and the other would be sitting on a lot more European cups than just 3.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Within my lifetime, at least in English football, Scholes is a fantastic shout.

What about for us? That's a trickier question...

I know it’s recent but probably Coutinho.  He was fantastic while he was here but was he THAT good? Maybe I’m just remembering him in a bad light but I think it might have been due to Klopp and how the side was set up for him that he was so good for us.

Coutinho is a fair shout. He was brilliant but massively inconsistent.

Until Barca showed an interest in him and then he was mostly dynamite for about six months.

What I would say about him though was when we played him in midfield he was almost always top class. It's when he played on the left he could be erratic and go missing.

David Silva is a considerably better player than Scholes was.

It's also proper anti hipster hipster behaviour to underrate him because he isn't six foot two and crunching into tackles. It basically the same as people underrating Gerrard because he was a more all action type of player. 

Both phenomenal midielders in their own right.