You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool have secured the biggest kit deal in English football history, the £25 million-a-year contract with Boston-based Warrior Sports more than doubling the Anfield club’s present agreement with adidas.

The Times understands that Warrior, a subsidiary of New Balance, will take over production of Liverpool kits in time for the 2012-13 season. Adidas, which launched a new away kit last week as part of its £12 million-a-year contract with the club, had the chance to match the offer but was not prepared to meet the American company’s price.

The link between Liverpool and Warrior is believed to be a long-term relationship and outstrips the £23.3 million per year that Nike pays Manchester United, the previous British record.

John W. Henry, the Liverpool owner, has insisted since taking over at Anfield in October that the club would only spend money that it generates. With Liverpool unlikely to qualify for the Champions League this season, some had questioned their ability to compete in the transfer market.

However, the agreement with a brand better known in the lacrosse world would appear to have solved the short-term cashflow problems caused by failure to qualify for Europe’s premier club tournament.

Sources inside Anfield have been increasingly bullish about their summer spending power and Kenny Dalglish is likely to have a considerable war chest when the transfer window opens.

Although the Liverpool caretaker manager believes that the crop of youngsters emerging from the academy has the potential to continue making a positive impression on his squad, he maintains that investment is necessary during the close season if the club are to become competitive again.

“It’s important that there is room for development for players, but it’s also important you don’t use it as an excuse not to spend money and not improve what you’ve already got,” Dalglish said.

“Age does not determine their ability to play. So if we’re convinced we have young players who are maybe better than what’s available, then we’ll keep our younger players.

“But that does not say we don’t want to improve as a football club. We do need to leave some path open if we do think there are players who can come in. If they develop then fine, if they don’t, we’ve got a problem. But if you buy a player in and he doesn’t produce, you’ve got a bigger problem.”

According to PR Marketing, a German market research company, Liverpool are the fourth-biggest replica kit seller in football, behind United, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

About 900,000 shirts are sold annually and, in the adidas stable, only Real sell more jerseys. Liverpool’s defection has come as a huge blow to the manufacturer.

Fenway Sports Group (FSG), Liverpool’s owner, has in recent months become increasingly close to Jim Davis, the chairman of New Balance. This month New Balance, previously best known for its running shoes, announced a multiyear partnership with the Boston Red Sox, who share the same owner as Liverpool. Along with a kit deal, New Balance is thought to have paid in the region of $1 million (about £600,000) for a 70-foot illuminated logo inside Fenway Park, the home of the Red Sox.

United’s groundbreaking 13-year deal with Nike expires in 2015 and the Old Trafford club will expect an even bigger cheque when the time comes to negotiate with kit manufacturers.

I take it Warrior is a known US brand?

From the point of view of sales, for the majority of the world it's the club that sells the kit - you could stick us in Gola shirts and we'd sell. But in the US, where we're not well known, being under a known brand may give us some exposure.

Never fucking heard of them, and I'd bet 90% of Americans would say the same. Of course, that's probably why they're paying us so much. They pay over the odds for the sponsorship, and in turn they get huge exposure.

bit dissapointed because i like Liverpool wearing adidas

I doubt this 'Warrior' will make a good shirt, as it their only Football team, as well as not having a clue they probably want it to stand out and itll look tacky and shite

For 25 million they can make it Pink for all I care....

*Well, not really, but you get the point.

bit dissapointed because i like Liverpool wearing adidas

I doubt this 'Warrior' will make a good shirt, as it their only Football team, as well as not having a clue they probably want it to stand out and itll look tacky and shite

There's not a doubt in my mind that one of the aspects of the deal was something along the lines of "We're one of the biggest clubs in the world, don't fuck up our kit"

Warrior.com, bottom left corner:

"Warrior strives to have safe and

environmentally friendly products . However, some of the

products shown on this site may contain chemical (s )

known to the State of California to cause cancer , birth

defects or other reproductive harm."

That's nice.

Just hope they have decent quality stuff that I can actually get. Never liked Reebok styling or quality, and they really didn't have much for training wear.

With Adidas, I know the stuff is made well.

Don't know Warrior from the chocolatey hole in your bum.

Would be much more excited if we had Under Armour or something - they make decent stuff.

Just hope they have decent quality stuff that I can actually get. Never liked Reebok styling or quality, and they really didn't have much for training wear.

With Adidas, I know the stuff is made well.

Don't know Warrior from the chocolatey hole in your bum.

Would be much more excited if we had Under Armour or something - they make decent stuff.

The Umbrella company is New Balance, so I'd expect it to be quality clobber.

I take it Warrior is a known US brand?

From the point of view of sales, for the majority of the world it's the club that sells the kit - you could stick us in Gola shirts and we'd sell. But in the US, where we're not well known, being under a known brand may give us some exposure.

Never heard of them here in the states.

Warrior.com, bottom left corner:

"Warrior strives to have safe and

environmentally friendly products . However, some of the

products shown on this site may contain chemical (s )

known to the State of California to cause cancer , birth

defects or other reproductive harm."

That's nice.

Because of California's laws, literally everything in the state says that. Every fucking building, etc. It's meaningless.