You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Have not. Is it similar?

Yes.

Same creator, Armando iannucci.

Its British politics and there are only 15, or so, episodes. I would have it just slightly above Veep in my top 10 comedies of all time.

Just a flavour, here:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Yes.

Same creator, Armando iannucci.

Its British politics and there are only 15, or so, episodes. I would have it just slightly above Veep in my top 10 comedies of all time.

Just a flavour, here:

Decent film too-

40 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's never been within a million miles of shit.

Series 7 is probably the best of the lot.

Shit compared to the first 4. I didn't even know he left, I think I came on here complaining it has gone seriously downhill and I'm not enjoying it anymore and someone replied that it coincided with Iannucci leaving.

Like The Thick of It, it's always been just a small step removed from the public face of politics, so it's never been implausible. This time, because front-line politics - all the way to the fucking White House - is so weird and awful, they've been able to have characters behaving even more horribly, without becoming unrealistic. 

Jonah's run for the White House and Selina's descent into no-holds-barred amoral perfidy in pursuit of power are particular highlights. I'll probably watch it again soon, because the dialogue is so quick and so funny that I probably missed loads.

56 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Like The Thick of It, it's always been just a small step removed from the public face of politics, so it's never been implausible. This time, because front-line politics - all the way to the fucking White House - is so weird and awful, they've been able to have characters behaving even more horribly, without becoming unrealistic. 

Jonah's run for the White House and Selina's descent into no-holds-barred amoral perfidy in pursuit of power are particular highlights. I'll probably watch it again soon, because the dialogue is so quick and so funny that I probably missed loads.

Focus on the transition from satirical to nasty for the sake of nasty and report back with the findings.

Trying this now. Don't like it. 

Probably doesn't help that I've seen The Thick of It and was hoping that this would be at least near that standard. All of the characters are just so...urgh. Unlikeable? Uncool? I don't know what it is exactly. They just aren't as sharp, they aren't as funny.

The program seems too one paced as well. The Thick of It flitted seamlessly between office scenes of them lounging around taking the piss out of each other and excruciating interviews or press conferences. Not getting that from Veep. The differing sense of importance between different situations doesn't exist. 

Is series two better than series one?

14 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Probably doesn't help that I've seen The Thick of It and was hoping that this would be at least near that standard. All of the characters are just so...urgh. Unlikeable? Uncool? I don't know what it is exactly. They just aren't as sharp, they aren't as funny.

The program seems too one paced as well. The Thick of It flitted seamlessly between office scenes of them lounging around taking the piss out of each other and excruciating interviews or press conferences. Not getting that from Veep. The differing sense of importance between different situations doesn't exist. 

I seem to remember struggling with S1, than began enjoying it much more (it may be I just got used to the characters) and then felt it had gone downhill somewhere in S5.

It's overall slightly more cartoonish than The Thick of It, I thought there was deeper understanding and dare I say affinity for characters in the UK which were therefore a tad more human (in best satire, there needs to be something, if not quite a begrudging admiration then at least some sympathy for some of the characters).

Or it may just be a cultural thing, for me, when I watch a lot of British and Irish stand-up for example and than switch to Americans comedians, it takes a while to get used to it.

18 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I seem to remember struggling with S1, than began enjoying it much more (it may be I just got used to the characters) and then felt it had gone downhill somewhere in S5.

It's overall slightly more cartoonish than The Thick of It, I thought there was deeper understanding and dare I say affinity for characters in the UK which were therefore a tad more human (in best satire, there needs to be something, if not quite a begrudging admiration then at least some sympathy for some of the characters).

Or it may just be a cultural thing, for me, when I watch a lot of British and Irish stand-up for example and than switch to Americans comedians, it takes a while to get used to it.

You're probably right. I tend to much prefer British programs that aim to be funny and then occasionally serious, and American programs that aim to do the opposite.

I think you hit the nail on the head re sympathy. I just don't care about any of these characters.

I'll persevere for a while.

On 29/02/2020 at 20:50, Jairzinho said:

Stick with it, mate.

Season 1 is a 6/10. Armando wouldn't to differentiate it from The Thick of it, so it wasn't a retread. Season 1 is just about establishing character.

Season 2 is an 8/10. Season 3 is when they really run; that's a 9/10 as is 4, when he departs.

• 1 year later...
On 06/03/2020 at 04:14, Kevin D said:

Stick with it, mate.

Season 1 is a 6/10. Armando wouldn't to differentiate it from The Thick of it, so it wasn't a retread. Season 1 is just about establishing character.

Season 2 is an 8/10. Season 3 is when they really run; that's a 9/10 as is 4, when he departs.

I stuck with it.

It was ok. Much better than most stuff on TV, but not even close to The Thick of It.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...