You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bale & Wilshere - Correct choices?

silverlining

So Bale and Wilshere are the PFA Player Of The Year/ Young Player Of The Year winners.

The right choices? Obviously both would walk into our team, but just how good are they really?

I'm not sure how many goals and assists they both have, but I'd guess a lot fewer than yuou might expect.

I think Bale has been exhilirating at certain points this season (esp Europe) but I do feel Wilshere is maybe a tad overrated by some. Plus he's a fucking halfwit.

Thoughts?

The reason I don't think Bale should have got PFA Player of the Year is basically because he was only 'brilliant' in a few games in the Champions League. Hasn't exactly done much in the Premier League, the only thing that comes to the top of my head is that volley against Stoke. I personally think Scott Parker deserved it, but that's just me.

As for Wilshere, the only reason he got the young player of the year award is because every journalist or pundit is creaming over him, making out as if he carries England's hopes and dreams on his shoulders.

Is it the player of 2010 or the player of this football season? I seriously don't know, i've heard both mentioned.

good point - i think it is player of 2010 not 2010-2011 season

in which case both are good choices

but if 2010-2011 then there has been no outstanding candidates tbh

young player = maybe Hernandez?

Carroll was having a great season as well until he got injured

Guest PurpleNose

I think Parker or Kompany would have been better choices. Consistently good throughout the season.

No young player has really stood out. Maybe Hart, or wor Andy.

135 good minutes against Inter Milan won him the award. He's done nothing to deserve getting player of the year.

Wilshire was a good choice. If Carroll hadnt of gotten injured he would have been up there as he would have more goals to his name.

I'm going to get a little bit of stick for this, but I think Wilshere is a brilliant player. He is of course hyped up a bit too much, but to dominate Premier League (and champions league) games to the extent that he has this season (and the end of last) takes a little bit extra for someone so young. I only fear he'll stagnate (or burn out) a bit after being introduced so early (like I feel Cesc has done), playing so much as well.

Bale's award is given because of that purple patch (and the fact the rules for this award are ridiculuos), and (believe it or not) the Mancs actually get fewer of these than they should given their dominance in the PL the last two decades (Giggs being the obvious exception from that rule). Bale looked to be unplayable for a month or two, but I think both Nani and Tevez have made bigger impacts during the season.

Its ridiculous that the voting is done so early but even though it may seem controversial as he's a blue i think baines has had a amazing season this year. Only nani has more assists in the premiership than him but nani plays in a lot more attacking role so you would expect that. So i would have given it to him.

Young player of the year i would have given it to wiltshire as he is a amazing talent. If he continues his progress he will be a great player.

Ridiculous choices in my opinion.

Bale never had the consistency, he had an incredibly good period during which he looked like a top class world beater but he never had it throughout.

Nani, Vidic, Kompany, VdV, Parker, Modric have all done more than Bale - just to name a few.

To me, young player of the year should be Hernandez. Without a shadow of a doubt. But then these things get voted during some weird time don't they?

I think Parker or Kompany would have been better choices. Consistently good throughout the season.

No young player has really stood out. Maybe Hart, or wor Andy.

This is the one that's voted for really early isn't it? So it's based on form pre-xmas, essentially. It's always controversial because of that.

Kompany is a great shout, though. And Hernandez. VDS also.

Laughable that Bale got it, although the whole thing was a fucking shambles really, as Van Der Vaart was on tenterhooks waiting for AP McCoy to announce the winner... fucking AP McCoy.

And I particularly liked the video montages of each player prior to the result being announced, and 90% of Bale's video featured Champions League footage, which (supposedly) has no relevance to the PFA Player of the Year Award.

If we're going to get technical about who is the best player, then Giggs should be right up there, as should Berbatov. Nasri was robbed, he's been outstanding all season, to lose to that jug-eared leek-chomper is just a slap in the face. But for me, Ryan Giggs has been the best footballer in the league this season and that's case closed.

It's just they fucked up when awarding it to him two years ago based on nothing, and now can't be seen to offer it to him again when he actually does deserve it.

Pff, the game is rotten to the core.