You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arctic Monkeys

cochcaer

I've never warmed to this band. The lead singer sounds like George Formby. He's trying his hardest to be all cool and rockstar but instead looks like a kid trying to get served in the pub. I like about 5 of there songs and the rest are just George Formby medleys. That new song is piss poor. To each their own though, they have a massive following and music is all about individual tastes and maybe a bit of hype that sheep will follow regardless.

That song is fucking awful. They've never managed to live up to that first album and they never will.

not their best effort but only the second time i've heard it and think it's a grower, as with the a most of the songs of the last album (crying lightening in particular)

they are a massively different band now to 'what ever people say I am....' to say they haven't 'lived up' to the first album is complete bollocks

I like the song, and I think it's one that will definitely grow on me.

There aren't many mainstream British bands I like. Not because they're popular, but because I the vast majority of them end up changing their sound when they gain success, to stay famous. However, the Arctic Monkeys, for me, are the most important British band of this century. They're constantly evolving as musicians, and aren't afraid to try new things. The three albums they've released are all fantastic, in my opinion, and each one has a different sound. I actually think they've got better with time, too.

This might sound like an outlandish statement to some, but I think if they keep up the outstanding quality of their work, and continue to grow as musicians, then in they could go on to become one of the best British bands of all time (presuming they don't spilt up, and carry on recording music for at least a decade).

I don't think they are evolving. They seem to be pushing themselves from a position where they were on the vanguard of the indie scene, they were vital and with the guy from Franz Ferdinand at the controls they honed every song. Now they have Josh Homme and all of a sudden they are a band looking backwards as far as I can tell. Far more self-indulgent than I ever thought they would be. It's pretty much the same way that I feel about QUOTSA.

Fake tales of San Francisco to True tales of New York City. I prefered the yarns from Sheffield estates. You can't expect bands to stay the same, I'm just disappointed which way they've gone. Step by step further away from my tastes.

I like the song, and I think it's one that will definitely grow on me.

There aren't many mainstream British bands I like. Not because they're popular, but because I the vast majority of them end up changing their sound when they gain success, to stay famous. However, the Arctic Monkeys, for me, are the most important British band of this century. They're constantly evolving as musicians, and aren't afraid to try new things. The three albums they've released are all fantastic, in my opinion, and each one has a different sound. I actually think they've got better with time, too.

This might sound like an outlandish statement to some, but I think if they keep up the outstanding quality of their work, and continue to grow as musicians, then in they could go on to become one of the best British bands of all time (presuming they don't spilt up, and carry on recording music for at least a decade).

Totally agree with that Woo. Although, as is the British way, they were monstrously overhyped around the time they released their debut, I think that Alex Turner is now a seriously underrated songwriter.

Turner's a very good songwriter. Incredibly prolific too. Shows how good he is that when all of the copycats were going on about one night stands and fights in kebab shops, he was raiding through Scott Walker's back catalogue and working with an orchestra.

He's a clever fucker is Mr. Turner. Apparently though he's picked up some faux American accent from his time living in NYC. It would disappoint me greatly if that was true.

I heard Turner and Matt Helders on the radio the other day, and I didn't detect a faux American accent. Helders, incidentally, is one of my favourite rock 'n' roll drummers since Reni and Dave Grohl.

Ah right- I haven't heard them do an interview in a while, but a lad on my Facebook commented that Alex Turner's turned into an American. Must be bollocks then!

Agree on Helders. The lad's a fantastic drummer. Some of his stuff on the last album was sensational.

Sounds like they're staying with the Josh Homme influence for now but with a bit of psychedelia. Looks like an old Primal Scream promo.

h1vYbHHhqYE

I'm far from their biggest fan but I really like that, sounds more of a Jesus And Mary Chain influence than Josh Homme for me though.

For me Turners a modern day Paul Weller circa the Jam, he writes about British life in a way no one else does.

The Monkeys are alright

Never in a month of Sundays. The new track treads a path similar to the Verve pre-Urban Hymns but without the boom and reverb.

What made the AM great is that they were quite raw and stripped down but now look and sound like a load of other bands. Next'll be the U2 stage...

Never in a month of Sundays. The new track treads a path similar to the Verve pre-Urban Hymns but without the boom and reverb.

What made the AM great is that they were quite raw and stripped down but now look and sound like a load of other bands. Next'll be the U2 stage...

I think you'll find its the other bands who've copied them and tried to steal the recipe. they were the trailblazers

I think you'll find its the other bands who've copied them and tried to steal the recipe. they were the trailblazers

I think cochcaer is saying that they were original, but have become increasingly derivative as they try and move away from what made them them.

the lyrics sound awful for this new one and the song isn't up to much, with all this 'yeah yeah yeah' bollocks and forgettable riffs. to be fair to them they wouldn;t have been able to do anything right after all the ridiculous hype they had, and so much like radiohead, just did what they thought turned em on musically. thing is I find it hard to still be interested in them, think thats the same for alot of people. when you get so much praise and attention you become of that moment, always associated with 2006 or whenever it was.

Alex Turner seems to have run out of witty youthful observations in the two songs that I've heard. A quite like the heaviness of 'Moved your Chair' but it doesn't say much in the lyrics to me. I dig it for the guitar sounds mostly, but that's it.

They've been around the world and back since their days of growing up in Sheffield and he and the band aren't youthful 16-17 year olds anymore so the style of music's going to reflect that.

He's bound to have grown our of the want to write snappy, youthful tunes for their core audience, who have all probably all grown up with them anyway and have all left school and are not looking for another 'whatever people say..'

Looking forward to the new album but can't stand Brick by Brick, mind.