You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arctic Monkeys

cochcaer

I like a few tracks of the AM but this sounds pretty bad to me.

Miss.

Remember when The Soup Dragons ditched their indie poppy songwriting history and went indie-heavy? Yep, 3 singles later 'I'm Free' was born. You've been warned . . .

(I like the Submarine OST though).

Alex Turner seems to have run out of witty youthful observations in the two songs that I've heard. A quite like the heaviness of 'Moved your Chair' but it doesn't say much in the lyrics to me. I dig it for the guitar sounds mostly, but that's it.

They've been around the world and back since their days of growing up in Sheffield and he and the band aren't youthful 16-17 year olds anymore so the style of music's going to reflect that.

He's bound to have grown our of the want to write snappy, youthful tunes for their core audience, who have all probably all grown up with them anyway and have all left school and are not looking for another 'whatever people say..'

Looking forward to the new album but can't stand Brick by Brick, mind.

That's it, mate. I don't think there'd be anything worse than him living in New York with a million in the bank and a celebrity bird still writing tunes like 'Riot Van.'

He's grown up and moved on, as have the rest of the band so, understandably, their music has to reflect that.

I was really excited by aspects of their last album as it had show their evolution as a band and Turner's as a lyricist. I don't know why people are so downbeat about the lyrics for 'Don't Sit Down' cos it's pretty much deliberately daft and nonsensical. I laughed at the odd line in it here and there, and I quite like the contrast between that and the heavy sound.

• 1 month later...

Me too, Mick. Fuck knows how many times I've listened to it since I got it. Reckon it's at least 30. Absolutely love it.

Tickets for their tour go on sale on Friday. I'll have me some of that.

They went on pre-sale today and I totally forgot. Looks like I'll have to try and grab some on Friday.

Went to see them at the Echo last time and was at the very front standing, went fucking mental when 'When the Sun Goes Down' came on. One problem they'll have though is trying to fit many of their best songs onto one set. I know they don't play songs like Mardy Bum any more but they'll have to cut down on loads if they are going to play all of the new album.

They played Mardy Bum and a load of the earlier stuff in the recent gig they did in Sheffield.

I love all their stuff, though, so it's a win/win for me.

Cunts. I swear I remember them saying they wouldn't play songs like Mardy Bum anymore because it got dull and repetitive for them. They definitely didn't play it on their last tour of the UK.

Cunts. I swear I remember them saying they wouldn't play songs like Mardy Bum anymore because it got dull and repetitive for them. They definitely didn't play it on their last tour of the UK.

First time I heard it I thought it was dull and repetitive.

Another fucking boat that left me on the island.