You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tony B on the Academy and our Transfer Strategy

RSM

And yes, agreed on Wenger. He has been so naive in the last few years - either naive or just plainly stubborn to recognise he needs a few players who are "up for a scrap and a fight" at times. And that is the whole criticism around him - the players he has brought through are good technically and while things are going their way, they can look ace. But put them against a scrap, they will not have a clue. They get away with it at times with their skill, passing and movement but always come up short in a season as a whole.

I think Arsenal's problems are more to do with the fact they don't have anyone who wants to play out wide..

Had they signed Dani Alves, Maicon or some other attacking full back then they'd win the league.

Their problem is that everyone of their attacking players want to play in the same areas (Nasri, Fabregas, Arshavin, Walcott etc).

The article was posted on the MF yesterday and I put the following:

-----

Sorry Tony, but your research let you down there. The Galacticos era didn't start until summer 2000 when Florentino Perez first took over the presidency. Secondly, the Zidanes y Pavones policy didn't come into effect until 2001, when Zidane joined and Pavon was promoted to the first-team squad.

Thirdly, it was far from a success with too many young players (like Pavon) thrust into the first-team to pad out a thin squad. Once results nosedived, Real had to stick to the tried and trusted players week in week out, selling off a lot of their young players instead. Finally, the policy was the perfect embodiment of a two-tiered system where the Galacticos were treated like kings while the players that were less celebrated but very important to the side were marginalised (like Makelele) or made to stick around and do the donkey work with little to no recognition (like Helguera). Let us hope we don't go down that path because it will be monumentally expensive to rectify when it inevitably goes tits up.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of building a squad with some expensive world-class signings and promoting from within is probably the ideal for any club looking to compete at the highest level. But it's more important that there is no obvious player hierarchy to the point where the less celebrated or younger players are made to feel unimportant yet expected to do more than their fair share. I'm just pulling TB up on his view that Real's policy was a success. There is no implication or insinuation on my part that the people in charge at Liverpool will go about things the same way as Real did.

And fourthly get a grip you for fucks sake. The general thread was about the fresh approach from the club and all you can do is pull someone up on some facts to feel good about yourself( done well there putting that newspaper fella right on a few things Trumo my son).Fuck off. The point is things are looking up at last. Just enjoy it

And fourthly get a grip you for fucks sake. The general thread was about the fresh approach from the club and all you can do is pull someone up on some facts to feel good about yourself( done well there putting that newspaper fella right on a few things Trumo my son).Fuck off. The point is things are looking up at last. Just enjoy it

Do me a favour and read the last bit of my post again. You think I said what I did to feel good about myself? Behave!

I've no doubt that TB wanted to highlight the positive direction the club is heading in, and I absolutely welcome that wholeheartedly. I also welcome the fact that there are so many positive stories about the club at the moment, even a massive feature in FourFourTwo magazine. It makes a huge difference from the doom and gloom of only 6 months ago. There is no way I'm trying to portray the club's attempted progress in a negative light. I'm just pointing out that TB's example, though well-intentioned, was not particularly valid, never mind sustainable. The lavish expenditure on players and scattergun approach to coaching and promoting young players at Real Madrid resulted in a lack of trophies that cost Perez the presidency first time round.

If you think I'm still talking shite, then there isn't much else to discuss with you.

Do me a favour and read the last bit of my post again. You think I said what I did to feel good about myself? Behave!

I've no doubt that TB wanted to highlight the positive direction the club is heading in, and I absolutely welcome that wholeheartedly. I also welcome the fact that there are so many positive stories about the club at the moment, even a massive feature in FourFourTwo magazine. It makes a huge difference from the doom and gloom of only 6 months ago. There is no way I'm trying to portray the club's attempted progress in a negative light. I'm just pointing out that TB's example, though well-intentioned, was not particularly valid, never mind sustainable. The lavish expenditure on players and scattergun approach to coaching and promoting young players at Real Madrid resulted in a lack of trophies that cost Perez the presidency first time round.

If you think I'm still talking shite, then there isn't much else to discuss with you.

I don't think you are talking shite as you seem well informed about Real's past and i'm in no position to question that.

I just felt it wasn't really necessary as i'm sure that Kenny's previous association with the kids would indicate that he would not allow the hierarchal situation to develop here and I assumed anyone would believe that to be the case knowing the nature of the man. Thought it a bit negative to be honest

TB has pointed it out his error in this thread already though

TB has pointed it out his error in this thread already though

Sorry, I didn't know TB was rome 84.

Tony, it wasn't intended to be a dig at you mate. In any case my first post on this thread was copied verbatim from a post I made on the MF where your article was posted the day before. Since you can't post on the MF you never got an earlier opportunity to state your case, but you've more than done so here. For the record I agree that it's great we have a positive structured plan in place - one that I hope reaps us huge rewards.

I myself am guilty of jumping the gun by not reading through the thread first, and for that I hold my hands up.

Should hold my hands up to gross stupidity at this point. The Zidanes y Pavones strategy didn't actually work that well even though the concept was a good one. That's what happens when you blog first and think later.

The general point - that Liverpool's future currently looks bright - still stands though.

Journos today eh? Disgraceful.

I reckon if he had hair he'd not have made that mistake.

Never mistake the power of hair.

p.s. I have hair. Lots of hair.

My bald patch is coming along quite nicely now so I'll have to bitterly disagree with that.

Happy with how things are going with players though, just hoping we get Pacheco back for next season and that he gets games. Am wondering if Tony knows why Pacheco actually went out, but not sure if he can say or not for whatever reason. Am guessing it was to get adapted to the physical side more or something.

My bald patch is coming along quite nicely now so I'll have to bitterly disagree with that.

Happy with how things are going with players though, just hoping we get Pacheco back for next season and that he gets games. Am wondering if Tony knows why Pacheco actually went out, but not sure if he can say or not for whatever reason. Am guessing it was to get adapted to the physical side more or something.

Bald Pacheco

Similar players were already there on which he built the 'invincibles' team, Adams, Keown etc.

Has never really replaced that backbone they had. Always remember that game when they bullied the fuck out of van nistelrooy, slapping him as he walked off

Yeah, Petit and Viera with Wright, Adams, Keown etc Look at them now with the Denilsons, Nasris and Van Persies, half hearted technical shite. All he has needed to do for years was to sign another Adams, another Viera and another, well a decent keeper as even Seaman was shite in his last few years and Lehman was always needlessly erratic but they got away with it then as they players in front of them from Adams to Gallas with a Viera or even a Gilberto in front were capable of handling most attacks, even the violent ones. Nowadays they have all those problems in important positions allied to a young team's vulnerable mentality with a lack of experience but Wenger's solution will involve selling youngsters for massive profits and promoting another young attacking 'star' and reemploying Lens Lehman until he can find another young shit keeper who he can 'trust' for another few years until he decides he is no longer good enough and he calls Alex Manninger out of retirement.