You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What now for Chelsea?

silverlining

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the media have gone way over the top with the criticism of Torres. He's still a class player. He's lost some pace in the last year or two but he's starting to get the chances lately. He needn't worry about the recent goal drought either, King Kenny once went something like 26 league games without a goal for us.

I think the media have gone way over the top with the criticism of Torres. He's still a class player. He's lost some pace in the last year or two but he's starting to get the chances lately. He needn't worry about the recent goal drought either, King Kenny once went something like 26 league games without a goal for us.

But Kenny's game was never based on pace, and he created more goals than he scored.

Torres relies very heavily on his pace and athleticism. If he loses that, I can't see him being anywhere near as effective, because he doesn't strike me as the most adaptable player.

We shall see.

Torres might get back to somewhere near the level he was at before if Chelsea alter everything to build their attack around him.

However, when the egos of his team-mates, the poor attitude he's developed over the last two years and his dodgy injury record are taken into account, I think it's a very unlikely scenario.

Remember Fowler in his young days: I doubt I'll ever see a better striker. A couple of years later: Still an eye for goal, but half the player he used to be. Owen? Pretty average after he lost his top speed. Now it's time for Torres. He'll never again be the player he was. Selling him this winter looks pretty good business.

Surprised no one has mentioned sturridge yet, I can see him being a big player for them next year.

I'm not surprised he's barely been mentioned, to acclaim Sturridge as a good player would go against the prevailing opinion here.

I wonder if rumours about Benitez trying to get into Roman's ear are true.

It's been rumoured for 3 years that he wouldn't be averse to the idea, although one would have to wonder about the logic of replacing someone who has won "The Holy Grail" twice, with someone who has "only" won it once.

It certainly wouldn't be a popular choice with the fans (or players) but that's never really been a concern for Abramovich.

Not if he won the CL in his first season with a squad that was nowhere the best in the league or indeed Europe.

Oh wait.

True.

But you are talking about Drogba, Terry, Lampard, Cole et al. They are not exactly a level headed Gerrard or Carragher. They don't give a flying fuck about who is managing them.

Chelsea are full of big headed and egoistic players. With Benitez's "man management" it will more likely split their camp into several bits than making them play as 1 unit.

Torres will never be the same player again because he will never play with Stevie G again

There are plenty of creative attacking midfielders Chelsea could possibly buy. And they probably will in the summer.

The big question is whether Torres can adapt. I don't think Chelsea will go into a new season solely reliant on Torres. There will be a Drogba, if not Drogba, a Neymar and Anelka. Can he play with these players around him, especially if he has lost a bit of pace? I personally doubt it but he might surprise me.

I don't think he is finished. Not one bit. But the biggest challenge for him is to adapt. He was the focal point everytime he played for us. And we (mainly Gerrard) put them on a plate for him time and time again without being selfish. I don't think he will come across a situation like this again, unless he goes to a mid table team in Spain.