TLW

Liverpool u16 4 Sheffield Wednesday u16 0 (Apr 9 2011)

LIVERPOOL U16 4 Sheff Wed u16 0

Report by Dave Usher at Anfield

dave.jpg

sheffwedreport1.jpg

Scorer(s) - Kristoffer Peterson, Michael Wilson, Jordan Lussey, Sam Gainford

Half Time - 2-0

Venue - The Academy, Kirkby

Date - Sat 9 Apr 2011

Star Man - Jordan Lussey

It was a good day for both of the Reds' Academy sides, as an Adam Morgan hat-trick inspired the u18s to a 3-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday, whilst on the other pitch the u16s went one better with a 4-0 win over the young Owls. The u16s have been in scintillating form this season, so I took the opportunity to check their game out rather than watch the 18s as I normally would.

The way I looked at it, there'll be highlights of the u18 game on lfctv, but this is the only way to see the lads in the u16s who have been hammering everybody in their path all year. This was their 12th win on the spin apparently. The only downside to it is that there are no teamsheets available for the u16s, and initially I only knew four of the starting line up.

Those four were keeper Yusuf Mersin, a Portuguese midfielder known as 'Bayo', centre forward David Moli and playmaker Jack Dunn. The rest of the side I had to try and find out as the game went on, and I've managed to get a few more names via some of TLW's followers on Twitter and a couple who I was stood next to at the game, but there are still a few who I don't know (so if any of the lads or their families are reading, feel free to let me know who I'm missing).

The lads took the lead virtually as soon as I got over there, which must have been no more than a couple of minutes into the game. Our left winger (who I later learned is Sam Gainford, a boy from Cumbria who has been at the Academy for several years) was felled in the box, and he stepped up to take the penalty. His kick was saved, but the right winger was on the spot to slot in the rebound.

The lads were calling him 'Chris', so I worked out that this was Kristoffer Peterson, a Swedish boy from Gothenburg. Both he and Gainford were lively, and Moli looked threatening too. I don't think he played particularly well on the day, but even so you could still see that the technique is there and he's a good player. He could have scored a couple in the first half but was denied by some good defending.

The reds were bossing the game, but not creating too many chances as the final ball or cross was often lacking. The best chance fell to the reds number 6, who had a fine game in the middle of midfield alongside Baio. I'm told that it is Jordan Lussey, an England u17 international.

Anyway, the chance came about after Lussey made a good run through the centre and was well picked out by Dunn. The keeper came out and looked favourite to gather the ball, but he spilled it under pressure and the reds midfielder looked certain to score but poked the ball just wide from a tight angle.

The second half started the same way as the first, with a goal for Mike Marsh's side. A right wing corner wasn't dealt with by the visitors and was finished from close range by commanding centre back Michael Wilson. Lussey made it 3-0 following great play by Peterson, and Gainford completed the scoring with an opportunist finish after he beat the keeper to an under-hit backpass. Gainford had literally only switched to centre forward seconds before that as Moli had been taken off.

There were a number of players to catch the eye. Bayo looks class, a player who is always available for a pass, is strong on the ball and very mobile. A Makalele type if you like. Dunn has a great left foot and has apparently scored a bagful of goals this season, he made his debut for the 18s a fortnight ago and played very well.

I was very impressed with Jordan Lussey and Michael Wilson, and Northern Irish right back Ryan McLaughlin looked lively until he had to go off injured in the second half. Gainford looks a good player too, with plenty of tricks.

Apparently there are only eight u16 players left now, as a number of lads were recently released. So there were a few u15 players involved with the squad in this game. There was also a Polish centre half who has been here a few weeks. I don't know if he's on trial or has signed permanently, but according to a Polish red on twitter his name is Gracjan Horaszkiewicz.

Sorry for the lack of detail in the report, but this is the first time I've seen most of these players and I was basically trying to fill in gaps as to who was who. I'll probably watch them again before the end of the season, and in the meantime I'll try and find out a bit more about the players, as most of these will be in the u18 squad next season.

Team: Mersin; McLaughlin, Wilson, Horaszkiewicz, Williams; Bayo, Lussey; Peterson, Dunn, Gainford; Moli:

Bloody hell, didn't know Jordan Williams was at Liverpool, that's mad that is, remember watching him play for his school.

Thanks for this, heard great things about the u16's.

Absolute quality Dave, thanks, been hearing a lot about these U16's and its great to finally hear about what they're like. Will the majority of these lads be in the U18's next year?

Just to fill in a few gaps for you Dave,you guessed it the wrong way round I'm afraid ...Jordan Lussey is the central midfielder who plays no 6 and scored the 3rd goal and hit the post in the 1st half and Jordan Williams is the welsh defeder who is one of the u15's playin up. The name behind the question marks is Michael Wilson, a big commanding centre half who plays no 5 and it was him who scored the 2nd goal.A convincing win whilst not being their best performance.

The 18's have rightly been highly praised for their performances and goal tally,but these U16's have played some brilliant football this season with some big results.

Only one more game for them this season, another game against Sheff Wed but away this time but not for a few weeks yet.

Just to fill in a few gaps for you Dave,you guessed it the wrong way round I'm afraid ...Jordan Lussey is the central midfielder who plays no 6 and scored the 3rd goal and hit the post in the 1st half and Jordan Williams is the welsh defeder who is one of the u15's playin up. The name behind the question marks is Michael Wilson, a big commanding centre half who plays no 5 and it was him who scored the 2nd goal.A convincing win whilst not being their best performance.

The 18's have rightly been highly praised for their performances and goal tally,but these U16's have played some brilliant football this season with some big results.

Only one more game for them this season, another game against Sheff Wed but away this time but not for a few weeks yet.

Thanks for filling in the gaps mate.

So, I'm assuming that Williams was playing left back, Wilson is the powerfully built lad with the light brown hair who was number 5, Lussey was the dark haired kid wearing six. Do you know who the three subs were?

Is Pete Ayelmer still playing for the U16's ? He generally plays as a centre back ?

Peter is an u17 player who usually plays centre mid, but has played at the back occasionally too. He picked up a knee injury a couple of months back and has just returned to training.

Thought at first Bayo was the Portuguese lad Iaia Embarlo signed from Oldham in August. But I suppose he is born in 1996.

That is him.

Don't know where the other Portuguese lad is (the one mentioned by Jesse Rawlins earlier in the thread), haven't heard anything about him all season.

tell me something about Jordan Lussey and Jordan Williams please :)

Jordan Lussey is a creative dual footed central midfielder who has a good eye for a pass be it 10yds or 30yds.A good playmaker who links up well with the guys up front,can also play in the hole if req'd or indeed anywhere in the back four.Looking forward to seeing him in the youth team next season as with all the u16's.

So is it Bayo Yalany,Iaia Embario or Iaia Embarlo ? Kris Peterson said on Twitter that Yalany was a centremidfielder,Oldhamathletic.co.uk describes Embarlo as a striker ?

Ah, ok I didn't realise we'd signed two Portuguese kids from Oldham. The lad I saw play in midfield is definitely Bayo Yalany. I'd never heard of the other kid, pretty sure he didn't play at the weekend.

Ah, ok I didn't realise we'd signed two Portuguese kids from Oldham. The lad I saw play in midfield is definitely Bayo Yalany. I'd never heard of the other kid, pretty sure he didn't play at the weekend.

Yeah,they're two different guys and I'm not sure both of them came from Oldham.Only Embarlo/Embario or MBallo..

Yaya MBallo

Yaya MBallo | Facebook

I think this actually is "Iaia Embarlo/Embario" (although he has a lot of friends with last name Embalo... )

this guy is friends with jordan williams,moli and baio yalany among others and he is from Portugal

and here is Baio Yalany

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001261092311

Hi Dave, I'm new to TLW.. great reports keep it up mate. I'm pleased you got to see the u16's I've watched them a few times this year when I've had a chance too....and they've absolutely terrored teams from front to back! Interestingly last year they were mainly considered as average! Bayo and Moli are good additions, I'm sure they may have slept a few years though?? Jack dunn and Jord Lussey are good local lads who have been around a while and seem well thought of. Lussey looks neat and tidy. Jack dunne, exciting and willing to shoot from anywhere. Great left foot. My query is around gainsford and wilson. Gainsford appears to have great movement, playing on the left, he looks a natural striker to me? Obviuosly a development position? Wilson has been a natural leader in all the games I've seen but no real fuss about his performance. A carra type tackler at times but happy to chat his team mates through games and not stand out. Good header of the ball. have these been around a while? And signed? Wonder if any of your TLW members could shed any light on these two? Keep up the good work..

just meant to mention there was another portuguese player with the current u15's from Oldham/lisbon... YAYA?? he left... rumour was he wasn't 15! Not sure if thats correct.

Yes, the rumour is that he was actually 17 so we released him.

As for Wilson, I've only seen him once but I thought he looked very good. Big and strong, but good on the ball and happy to bring the ball out from the back.

Gainford seems very skilful, but I don't know what his natural position is as once again I've only seen him play one game.

Inspector Guido and The Mystery of the Portuguese Youngsters

I'm pretty certain Iaia Embarlo is still playing for us, but he's at U15 level not U16 (as are Callum Pilkington and Nial Heaton).

Yalany Baio played this game though not sure if he's U15 or U16.

Therefore, Goncalo Ribeiro may well be the player who we dumped for being older than thought. Think he featured for the U16s early on in the season, but he's actually in the age group where he should be in the 1st year at the Academy. Hasn't featured in any Academy games so i reckon that's who they got rid of. He also resembles a chipmunk.