You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Norway the best country in the world.

Code

All Norwegians get taught English from an early stage at school, and one of the first things we learn is that English people are ridiculously polite/stiff, so I guess that explains a bit of our nations mindset compared to yours... I'm all for a bit of manners myself though. Huge generalisation btw, sorry about that...

Looking at young Englishmen and Norwegians on summer holidays in Greece/Spain the cultural gap isn't as big:whistle:

Norwegians also say shit like:

From my rotting body,

flowers shall grow

and I am in them

and that is eternity.

I want to go, been meaning to Scando it up for some time now. Has it stopped being dark yet? Is public transport much good?

I heard they eat frozen Puffins almost every day. Skanky. Mind you who doesn't like Bjork and maybe Royksopp sometimes. Bloody cold though I bet.

That opening video is a disgrace, Frode: Nazi heritage still on show (tokenism at 4 minutes and 30 seconds), encouraging thieves to steal that bloody painting again and state-sponsored littering to boot.

To be honest, it looks ace - but then almost every country would look so if millions were spent on a promotional film for it. As for culture, I've been battering the Harry Hole books by Jo Nesbo and really enjoying them. Quick question for the resident Noggies - in phonetic English, how do I pronounce those two names? Is it Harry Holler and Yo Nesboo?

I want to go, been meaning to Scando it up for some time now. Has it stopped being dark yet? Is public transport much good?

Depends where you want to go I guess, in the spring and the summer our nights are much lighter than further south in Europe and its only up North its getting dark really early during the winter.

Public transport can be a pain in the arse, but in the Oslo area its very good with tubes, trains, cable cars etc.

There are trains and bus connection between Stavanger, Bergen and Trondheim to Oslo.

If you want to travel on the west coast the option will be bus or boat as there are no trains between Stavanger- Bergen - Ålesund- Trondheim.

You also have Fjords Cruises - Norwegian coast and fjords - Hurtigruten UK but it can be pretty expensive and also a bit boring, but up north ity can be a useful way to get transport.

There are some half decent music festivals as well during the summer.

English | Hovefestivalen

Øyafestivalen - News

Norwegian Wood

Slottsfjell | 14-16 Juli 2011

or just some other happenings like the ones in Stavanger where I`m living during the summer.

Beach Volleyball World Tour

http://www.wtstavanger.com/

Happy Food festival

Gladmat 2011

Tall Ship Race

The Tall Ships Race - Frontpage

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

That opening video is a disgrace, Frode: Nazi heritage still on show (tokenism at 4 minutes and 30 seconds), encouraging thieves to steal that bloody painting again and state-sponsored littering to boot.

To be honest, it looks ace - but then almost every country would look so if millions were spent on a promotional film for it. As for culture, I've been battering the Harry Hole books by Jo Nesbo and really enjoying them. Quick question for the resident Noggies - in phonetic English, how do I pronounce those two names? Is it Harry Holler and Yo Nesboo?

Hehe I guess you are right Paul, the reason I posted it in the first place was that I became aware of it because the Epcot centre are refusing to use it at the Norwegian spot there because Disney have not produced it themselves, so instead they are using some crap film from the early 80`s to promote Norway, weird stuff.

When it comes to Jo Nesbø, he first became popular in Norway as the lead singer and front man in the group Di Derre, a Norwegian folk rock/pop band where the lyrics where the important factor.

[YOUTUBE]tDcWD6Iz8iU[/YOUTUBE]

Yo Nesbooh or something like that sound about right to me but Harry Hole should be straight forward Harry Hole, like in spanish ole with an H.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Hehe I guess you are right Paul, the reason I posted it in the first place was that I became aware of it because the Epcot centre are refusing to use it at the Norwegian spot there because Disney have not produced it themselves, so instead they are using some crap film from the early 80`s to promote Norway, weird stuff.

When it comes to Jo Nesbø, he first became popular in Norway as the lead singer and front man in the group Di Derre, a Norwegian folk rock/pop band where the lyrics where the important factor.

[YOUTUBE]tDcWD6Iz8iU[/YOUTUBE]

Yo Nesbooh or something like that sound about right to me but Harry Hole should be straight forward Harry Hole, like in spanish ole with an H.

So the last syllable is ay, as in day?

Norway is often recognized for being expensive and cold.

The expensive part obviously goes hand in hand with the wages, as have been mentioned. I know a few englishmen who live here, and they do fine and seem to enjoy living here. Pint prices are ridiculous, and result in the typical norwegian phenomenon pre-party, which basically means: buy cheap(er) cans of beer in your local shop, gather at a friends house to drink said beer, and go out for a drink at around 11-12 at night. It' probably the reason we drink without control, to avoid being robbed buying drinks out. The culture is also quite different, as it's not so often we go to a pub in a weeday to cath a pint or, it's usually all or nothing.

Norway is quite ace in the spring/summer though. And the nature speaks for itself. The best part of the nature is that it's basically on everyones doorstep. Vast land areas are often free to explore and open for everyone. You don't have to go far outside Oslo City to be straight in the middle of great nature areas.

The thing I dislike most is the people itself. We are not open, friendly and interested in talking to people we don't know. It's a bit exaggerated but still hits home. If you talk to random people i.e. at a bus stop or similar you tend to be considered a bit odd.

Lot's of fit birds though!

As for culture, I've been battering the Harry Hole books by Jo Nesbo and really enjoying them. Quick question for the resident Noggies - in phonetic English, how do I pronounce those two names? Is it Harry Holler and Yo Nesboo?

Harry(I'll try IPA references as I'm no good with symbols...):

H - radical glottal fricative - voiceless

a - open back vowel

the r's are alveolar trills, stemmed (sp?) the ending of the name is like Pakistanis would say -rry in curry I suspect (no racial slander intended)

y as in hobby

Hole

H - radical glottal fricative - voiceless

o - close-mid back rounded vowel.

l - alveolar lateral approximant

e - close-mid front unrounded vowel

Jo

J - dorsal palatal approximant

o - close-mid back rounded vowel.

Nesbø

N - straightforward:-)

e - close-mid front unrounded vowel

s - straightforward

b - straightforward

ø - near-close, near-front rounded vowel

Two even less interesting facts:

Jo Nesbø had a semi-promising career as a footballer with Molde FK (who are now coached/managed by Ole Gunnar Solskjær), but injuries as well as a bohemian lifestyle took its toll.

He's a third cousin of mine:-)

Edited by lebron

Norway gave us Ah-Ha and the worst Bond theme ever. The prosecution rests. The verdict - guilty.

Whaaat? That's bordering on blasphemy... Surely you mean 2nd best? The fact you can't even spell their name shows your ignorance;)

Ive been to Norway once and i think it was pretty funny, i was only about 14 years at the time and most i can remember is allot of tree's, TREE'S everywhere.

Don't wanna hijack this thread Code, but ill raise your OP with this.

Faroe Islands

[YOUTUBE]Ow2HumAf13w[/YOUTUBE]

Clearly England is the best country in the world, but Norway isn't too bad, if only because the women are out of the top drawer, and the men out of the bottom, which makes the norwegian women very susceptible to an approach from a fun-loving English type. I knew a girl from Bergen once, in fact, I knew her a few times, and she was utterly splendid.