You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This out clubbing thing and partying all night is just specualtion so I wouldn't take it as fact as the press will love to stir up shite for our club, but (and here comes the war) I don't think Bascombe wants to stir up shite. Whatever Chris's relationship and views on former Liverpool managers, I don't see him wanting to make up shite to cause trouble for the club and Kenny.

Neither do I, as a rule, but Bascombe's job is to file weekly copy about Liverpool, so......

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bacombe is asking a question we have seen some fans raise on here, so he's hardly on his own there. My personal feeling is that it's too early to make any judgements on whether he will fit into the team until we see him fit and firing on all cylinders. From that perspective, Bascombe is right in saying that pre-season will be important for him.

On the question of how a target man fits into Kenny's style, I reckon Kenny will have some opinions on that but I can see him holding the ball up on the edge of the box, laying it off to a midfielder or another attacker and then making a run into the box to get on the end of it, either from a through ball or by recycling the play out wide and getting a cross in. He's easily quick enough to play like that, but if you want someone to run from the halfway line, it's better to give the ball to Suarez or someone with a more pacey dribble.

From what I have seen of Carroll, he can hold the ball up at feet or lay it off in the air, has a fierce shot, can see a pass and can get around when he's not wrecked after 70 minutes.

His fitness is a bigger issue for me, and like Bascombe I am concerned about the state of him last season. I would have hoped to see his fitness increasing after his layoff, but I am not convinced we did.

January is really going to be the time to start talking about it though. Whether we've seen a lot more of him or not.

It's quite possibly the worst sports article I've read this year. Disgraceful, in my opinion.

Sorry, but the "Messi couldn't do it on a wet Wednesday night at Stoke" takes that accolade by quite some distance.

But what makes this article so bad to be the worst one you’ve seen this year?

It might be fabricated and just based on Carrolls past, but still I don't see the harm as a bit of a warning to a lad who does have quite a reputation.

I think his comments about worries about fitting into the team are questions we are all asking and looking forward to see how they are resolved..

I only got a third into it before giving up. What a poor way to word the article. It demonstrates a complete lack of perspective. I'd take some time to refute some of the absolute garbage that has been written there, but everybody here already knows what bollocks it is.

Not sure what you mean. I predicted this would happen when we signed him.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Sorry, but the "Messi couldn't do it on a wet Wednesday night at Stoke" takes that accolade by quite some distance.

It might be fabricated and just based on Carrolls past, but still I don't see the harm as a bit of a warning to a lad who does have quite a reputation.

I think his comments about worries about fitting into the team are questions we are all asking.

It's the utterly boring angle he's coming from, talking about Torres, talking about his performances being sluggish without mentioning the impact of the original injury, and then, to top it all, he says that he could 'hide' behind a knee injury. Knees, last time I looked, are pretty integral to running and kicking.

I could pick it apart bit by bit, but it's just not worth it. It's utter garbage in my opinion. Opinions may vary ;)

He is clearly not fit and he has not been since he made his comeback in March.

There is a picture of him without his top on when playing for Newcastle, cant put it up here as the link seems broken, but if you compare it with the pictures of him now on holiday its understandable why he has lost some pace.

Just google Andy Carroll and look for yourselfs.

Google for pics of Carroll without his top on?

No thanks.

Hehe if you google Andrew Carroll its the 3rd picture you will find, he looks really sharp in that picture compared to the ones of him being on holiday.

Bascombe is never happy unless he's moaning about something or other

He's not saying anything a lot of us haven't already thought, to be fair.

I'm not sure you can put the discrepancy between Fulham away and Spurs at home on Carroll's shoulders though. The quality of opposition surely made the bigger difference; Spurs got into us from the off while Schwarzer was ahem not in good form shall we say.

I'd blame Kenny's selection to be honest.

I think his comments about worries about fitting into the team are questions we are all asking and looking forward to see how they are resolved..

I dont think that Messi one was an article, I think that was just Andy Gray spouting shite.

I think the article you mean is the one about Barca playing in warm weather.

Was actually a very good interview with Arbeloa in the Guardian, the reporter jokingly said that in response to them playing eachother in the coming weeks.

There's always going to be pressure on him as he cost £35m. But i think everyone should just hold their tongue and see how he gets on this season. I've a feeling he will do well as he will be fully fit going into the new season. He already knows he's under pressure after seeing how well suarez and kuyt were combining up front for us come the end of the season. The movement of both and their workrate really did impress me and i think that's the best i've seen kuyt play in a long time. Them two seemed to have a instant chemistry and i'm sure that hasn't gone unnoticed by carroll. So he knows he needs to up his game to stay in the team and i think he will, and that's how it should be at liverpool fc.