You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LeBron James to be given a minority stake in LFC

Guest ShoePiss

this is my point, are they really going to support a club because a basketball player wears a shirt?

just seems like a load of nonsense

It may be a stereo type, but East Asians are known for their fanaticism, as well as an increasing level of disposable income, and lets say a kid is a big basektball fan, and is getting into footy but doesn't have a team yet, seeing one of their favourite basketball players wearing a Liverpool shirt may well be a factor in who they end up supporting, and influence what football merchandise they end up buying.

The population of China is really starting to get exposure to the West and its sports, basketball is massive over there and is its fastest growing sport (I think I read there are a couple of hundred million people who play basketball in China!!) in part because they have a Chinese guy in the NBA (who is massive!).

There is over 1.3 billion people in China alone, is it really that hard to believe that we might be able to get a shit load of fans on the back of this and they go on to buy a load of merchandise

Guest ShoePiss
I had to google him, I never heard of him. I suppose its positive from a marketing perspective. It seems a little odd though.

And that is why he's doing it, this time last year I had no clue who he was either. I don't follow the sport. Jordan had widespread market that LeBron seems to crave.

The opposite will happen too, people that aren't aware of Liverpool will be through LeBron James.

People are sheep and will follow, you only have to look at Liverpool supporters becoming Redsox fans to realise that and this was only a bi-product of the take over, not a full on marketing ploy.

Cross brand marketeting

And that is why he's doing it, this time last year I had no clue who he was either. I don't follow the sport. Jordan had widespread market that LeBron seems to crave.

The opposite will happen too, people that aren't aware of Liverpool will be through LeBron James.

People are sheep and will follow, you only have to look at Liverpool supporters becoming Redsox fans to realise that and this was only a bi-product of the take over, not a full on marketing ploy.

Cross brand marketeting

With this in mind, who stands to make more out of this arrangement? Us or him? I'd wager we have more fans globally than he does. I know nothing of Basketball so I may be wrong.

from the journo Ben Smith on twitter "one of LeBron James's representatives says his client 'believes in King Kenny' - his words not mine"

If LeBron had heard of the English Premier League -- let alone Liverpool FC, let alone Kenny Dalglish, let alone the fact that people call him "King Kenny" -- before this week, I'll eat my head.

(By the way, I'm sure one of his representatives realized it would be a fun thing for LeBron to be seen to have said this, considering LeBron is known as "King James" -- mostly because he calls himself this, by the way.)

Since I'm the best qualified to say something about this, I will:whistle:

As a lot of you have already mentioned, I think this is mostly going to be positive for us. It's true that Lebron hasn't got the marketing aura that Jordan carried, but that could change shortly if he plays his cards right (ie winning the NBA title). He's widely (like it or not) regarded as the best player in the NBA (Lakers fans will obviously disagree), and with the right focus and career decisions could go on to be as big as Jordan with regards winning titles. He has made a couple of ill-advised PR moves the last couple of years imo (he had to leave Cleveland, but could have done it a bit more gracefully - also the birthday parties and some of his interviews have been nothing short of bizarre), so it makes sense that he wants to explore new markets.

There's noone like him in the NBA when it comes to potential (physically and PR-wise), but there are quite a few exciting players (Rose, Durant, Rondo) coming through the ranks as well as the established stars (Kobe, Wade), so maybe he's trying to get a head start?

I watch a bit of basketball, and I have kept an eye on his rise to stardom. Have to say I've been a bit disappointed by the way he's turned out as a person (judging from actions and interviews), but can't complain much about his basketball abilities. Should perhaps have gotten himself a ring by now, but became the 7th player of all time to reach 2000 points in a season for 7 consecutive seasons yesterday...

Back to the ot, little risk and a potential gain to be had, why not?

PS! The comments about people's nationality shouldn't lead to another Aquilani-like thread, but as I've been drinking Carlsberg the most of my adult life, I can easily associate to the comments made on this thread:(

Bringing shame on us already,tut tut...

Gloria James: LeBron James' Mother Arrested in Miami

April 7, 2011 at 07:13 am

LeBron James' Mom Gloria Arrested for Assaulting Hotel Valet

Gloria James, mother of Miami Heat superstar LeBron James, was arrested for allegedly assaulting a parking valet at the Fontainbleau Hotel. Gloria James was charged with misdemeanor assault.

Before the alleged assault, Gloria James had been out with her friends at LIV, a nightclub in the Fontainbleau. The altercation took place at around 4:45am on April 7. James has been released on her own recognizance. She was picked up from the station by a Miami Heat staffer.

Gloria James Arrest Affidavit (pdf): note that LeBron's name is misspelled.

LeBron James has just purchased a minority stake in Liverpool FC, as per a deal with Fenway Sports Group and LeBron's LRMR Branding & Marketing Group.

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: Gloria James: LeBron James' Mother Arrested in Miami | NowPublic News Coverage Gloria James: LeBron James' Mother Arrested in Miami | NowPublic News Coverage

I still don't understand how having a basketball player as a minority shareholder is going to sell us more shirts or increase our exposure in the far east. I really don't get it.

I'm with you on this one, and I don't like the idea of giving away a stake in the club too.

Guest ShoePiss
If this is a cash deal, why are FSG selling a stake? Its a slight concern that they may need the money.

I've not read anywhere that LeBron James has bought a stake in the club. You're getting a bit carried away there.

I still don't understand how having a basketball player as a minority shareholder is going to sell us more shirts or increase our exposure in the far east. I really don't get it.

The minority shareholder thing is just a bit of pr surely? It's meaningless other than than to be used to tie the two 'brands' together.

LeBron James has a huge market share in where we have probably none and vise versa, that's it really.

I've not read anywhere that LeBron James has bought a stake in the club. You're getting a bit carried away there.

The minority shareholder thing is just a bit of pr surely? It's meaningless other than than to be used to tie the two 'brands' together.

LeBron James has a huge market share in where we have probably none and vise versa, that's it really.

That I understand, but I just think its a bit of a stretch to think Asian or American fans of Basketball are all of sudden going to become fans of Liverpool just because he may pose for a few photos with the team in Asia or God forbid we parade him on the pitch at Anfield.

Guest ShoePiss
That I understand, but I just think its a bit of a stretch to think Asian or American fans of Basketball are all of sudden going to become fans of Liverpool just because he may pose for a few photos with the team in Asia or God forbid we parade him on the pitch at Anfield.

I thought that but then remembered how many sheep suddenly became Boston Redsox fans, not just casual supporters of Liverpool either.

I get the idea behind it

This is the real stuff in my opinion :-

How much of a stake has he been given? (they say minority but exactly what %)

How much of the money Lebron makes by riding our coattails goes back to the club?

How much do FSG siphon off for themselves or the Redsox?

I thought that but then remembered how many sheep suddenly became Boston Redsox fans, not just casual supporters of Liverpool either.

I get the idea behind it

This is the real stuff in my opinion :-

How much of a stake has he been given? (they say minority but exactly what %)

How much of the money Lebron makes by riding our coattails goes back to the club?

How much do FSG siphon off for themselves or the Redsox?

I think all that needs to be explained by the club. What exactly is the deal? If he was just another minority stakeholder, then I'm not sure there'd have been all this fanfare.

If LeBron had heard of the English Premier League -- let alone Liverpool FC, let alone Kenny Dalglish, let alone the fact that people call him "King Kenny" -- before this week, I'll eat my head.

(By the way, I'm sure one of his representatives realized it would be a fun thing for LeBron to be seen to have said this, considering LeBron is known as "King James" -- mostly because he calls himself this, by the way.)

He's LeGone, get over it.

I think all that needs to be explained by the club. What exactly is the deal? If he was just another minority stakeholder, then I'm not sure there'd have been all this fanfare.

I think that's the whole point though.

He seems to have done a deal with a company connected to FSG, FSM (Fenway Sports Management) for them to market him. Henry and Werner obviously feel that he can be of some use to Liverpool and thats why this 'minority stake' in the club has been acquired by him. I said in another post that I was online last night when this broke and on twitter and google this was being reported all over the states and across the world. It was apparently mentioned on the live NBA coverage in the states last night too. I just think it's a handy way of raising the clubs profile by associating ourselves with massive name in US sport. He may appear at the odd match, on a pre season tour or something in the states or in Asia, and that will be it. I certainly don't see why we should be uneasy or worried because to me it's just a PR stunt with the aim of increasing our 'brand' and by the looks of it last night it seems to have already done that.

I think that's the whole point though.

He seems to have done a deal with a company connected to FSG, FSM (Fenway Sports Management) for them to market him. Henry and Werner obviously feel that he can be of some use to Liverpool and thats why this 'minority stake' in the club has been acquired by him. I said in another post that I was online last night when this broke and on twitter and google this was being reported all over the states and across the world. It was apparently mentioned on the live NBA coverage in the states last night too. I just think it's a handy way of raising the clubs profile by associating ourselves with massive name in US sport. He may appear at the odd match, on a pre season tour or something in the states or in Asia, and that will be it. I certainly don't see why we should be uneasy or worried because to me it's just a PR stunt with the aim of increasing our 'brand' and by the looks of it last night it seems to have already done that.

That's all true, it's just that I don't see it having a lasting effect. It's yesterday's news to most people.

There's nothing in sport like winning trophies, that's the only thing that's going to have a lasting impact on our profile.

Sadly Rob, I don't even think God can prevent this from happening.

Kobe Bryant has heard of us so why not LeBron?

BBC Sport - Football - Kobe Bryant's Premier League predictions

PS I'm just having a laugh I know what you mean I would be very surprised if LeBron has uttered the words "King Kenny" before!

I think anything (within reason) that can raise the profile of the club and help us to get new fans is a good thing. If it succeeds in doing this great if not then no great loss.

LeBron is fucking huge in Asia. And I mean fucking huuuuuge.

300 million people in China are said to be basketball fans despite football being the most popular sport so its a very, very clever move by the owners.

This is a great bit of business.

It's true, he is pretty big in China. But I just think it's a giant leap to assume that people in the US or Asia who like the guy as a basketball player (and he is extremely good) will (1) be aware that he has a minority (ie, negligible) stake in LFC and (2) decide to buy LFC merchandise because of this tenuous link.

But hey, if the club earns any uptick in marketing because of it, then why the hell not.

It's true, he is pretty big in China. But I just think it's a giant leap to assume that people in the US or Asia who like the guy as a basketball player (and he is extremely good) will (1) be aware that he has a minority (ie, negligible) stake in LFC and (2) decide to buy LFC merchandise because of this tenuous link.

But hey, if the club earns any uptick in marketing because of it, then why the hell not.

On point one, the news is global already by the sound of it. But it will be the joint marketing that will really increase peoples awareness, so doing promotional stuff together in Asia etc.

But let's say that only 0.001% of basketball fans in China decide to support us on the back of this, that is still 300k people, all they need to do is spend just over £3 per person on average to give us a £1m a year extra.

Then there is the extra we will be able to charge sponsors for sponsorship as we have an extra 300k fans on top of that.