You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LeBron James to be given a minority stake in LFC

Guest ShoePiss

As has been said, its a win win.

LeBron no doubt has some spare cash that he is wanting to invest anyway, and this way he will increase his exposure a bit in the UK. I'm sure that there will be quite a few Liverpool fans who like Basketball will go out and buy his top etc.

And it will give us a load of exposure in the States. Imagine if Beckham bought a minority stake in the Lakers, it would be all over the news over here for a short while, but ongoing I would say at least a quarter of any articles on him in the press would say something like "Beckham, also shareholder of US basketball team LA Lakers,..." giving them continued exposure. I'd imagine it'd be the same for us, and whilst I can see it being mentioned less, but it will reach a much wider audience.

But the main place we will both gain is in Asia. I'm sure there will be joint marketing pushes out there, so next time we are doing a pre season tour I would not be surprised to see LeBron out there, maybe go out onto the ptich before one of the games wearing a Liverpool shirt with his name on the back, and I'm sure they do signing events, press conferences etc where you will see say Gerrard and LeBron together. We may not see much of it over here, but I reckon it would be massive over there.

As has been said, its a win win.

But the main place we will both gain is in Asia. I'm sure there will be joint marketing pushes out there, so next time we are doing a pre season tour I would not be surprised to see LeBron out there, maybe go out onto the ptich before one of the games wearing a Liverpool shirt with his name on the back, and I'm sure they do signing events, press conferences etc where you will see say Gerrard and LeBron together. We may not see much of it over here, but I reckon it would be massive over there.

and we're years behind man u with regard to untapped commercial potential in Asia so raising our profile albeit indirectly does us no harm at all

Miami heat wouldn't be very happy about him taking off all over asia promoting Liverpool FC.

Sounds good because i like basketball and im a fan of lebrons but I don't see how it will benefit us tbh.

Still love the fact he's connected to us though.

not sure I share the belief that everyone in asia is so easily led that they might buy one of our shirts just because a basketball players owns 0.00000000001% of the club

Exactly! Everton had half a billion fans at one stage, at least they did according to most of the plankton I was unfortunate enough to talk to!

Liverpool are a massive club in China anyway, we don't need a stunt like this.

not sure I share the belief that everyone in asia is so easily led that they might buy one of our shirts just because a basketball players owns 0.00000000001% of the club

Its not that he owns a stake that will get them buying our stakes, that is just part of the agreement they have come to, it is the joint marketing opportunites, seeing him promote us, mentioning us, wearing our shirt etc that will get them buying the shirts.

Dont like the sounds of this. Lebron has an ego the size of Jupiter. Dont like him being associated with us to be honest.

Is that right? Must admit I know nothing about him or the sport. Club have just announced our Asian summer tour (no coincidence) and although we already have a foothold in Asia it still can be exploited more. one other concern though would be Lebron's popularity as the number one surely must have a short shelf life. Agree it's a PR stunt and as long as it serves it's purpose over there and we don't feel any repercussions over here then hopefully it won't become an issue.

Soccer's a real cute sport, but personally I don't like any sport where you don't use your hands.

Classic!

"Especially the way you'll bounce that ball off your heads"

Edited by RSM

United signed that Dong kid didnt they before Park?

There's some boss players from the far east, i've no beef with signing a squad player (say a new sub keeper) or splashing out on someone good like Honda if it means we make money from it which it turn helps the ground move/redevelopment or new players.

Its not that he owns a stake that will get them buying our stakes, that is just part of the agreement they have come to, it is the joint marketing opportunites, seeing him promote us, mentioning us, wearing our shirt etc that will get them buying the shirts.

this is my point, are they really going to support a club because a basketball player wears a shirt?

just seems like a load of nonsense

what I don't know about marketing and pr would fill a public library, if any are left, but surely the more the Fenway Group grows the more investors will want in which in turn is good for us. We don't have sugar daddies to spoil us so we can only spend what we earn.

Still as Walton Red points out it's not as embarassing a PR stunt as a certain nearby club who paraded Rocky and The Fonz as devotees

I don't see why people can possibly be worried or uneasy over this.

We've just escaped from 4 years of Hicks and Gillett, record debt, court cases and facing bankruptcy. We have new owners who have bought the club with no debt attached to us whatsoever. They feel that this deal will be beneficial to the club in the long run. This feller is hardly going to come in and start running the club, he's done a deal with their company for them to market him worldwide and FSG obviously think that LFC can benefit from this in some way to. His stake will be nominal and will be little more than a symbolic PR gesture. It is win win for the club. Whether he is a massive cunt or not, a quick google and twitter search showed me that he is huge and this deal has already made big news around the world. We can't really lose out of this so there is really nothing to worry about, especially given the state we were in as a club 12months ago.