You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

16 hours ago, an tha said:

All these clubs have won a major trophy since the shite last did.

Blackburn

Leicester

Middlesbrough

Swansea

Wigan

Portsmouth

Birmingham

West Ham, Middlesbrough and Fulham have all been to European finals as well. Meanwhile Everton haven't qualified for European football for 7 years but Wolves, Burnley and Brighton have in that time.

But it's all down to Heysel and the Sky 6. 

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

West Ham, Middlesbrough and Fulham have all been to European finals as well. Meanwhile Everton haven't qualified for European football for 7 years but Wolves, Burnley and Brighton have in that time.

But it's all down to Heysel and the Sky 6. 

Yes, I’d agree. 

The way the PL's TV money is allocated is, as far as I'm aware, largely unchanged since the PL's inception in 1992. More money the higher up the league you finish, and even the relegated clubs get more money than the highest finishing team in the second tier. Plus the relegated clubs get parachute payments to help offset the drop in earnings and minimise the need for player upheaval. So if you remain in the top flight, you are earning a lot of TV money. And that TV money has increased substantially with every renewal of the TV deals.

If, like Everton, you've remained in the top flight and had the odd foray into the higher echelons and earned a European place, then there is more money still. If, like Everton, you have a stadium that can hold around 40000, that's a bigger capacity than most of the teams that have suffered relegation (the Geordies, the Mackems and Villa all have a larger stadium, and all have suffered relegation in the PL era), so in theory you have also benefitted from bigger gate receipts and associated spending on concessions and merchandise.

So Everton, despite benefitting from PL TV money since 1992, and despite having a ground that holds something like 40000, have somehow not managed to grow their commercial income to any tangible degree, and make an absolute pittance from matchday activity. The TV money is keeping their heads (barely) above water, and yet the club and its fans actively bite the hand that feeds.

Everton fans complain about the media, and yet successive Everton boards have so effectively pulled the wool over people's eyes, Rupert Murdoch would be fucking proud. It's like the Tories selling the country up the river, and pointing at immigrants as the reason why people's lives are in the shit.

• Upvote 4

Just now, manwiththestick said:

Why?

In my humble opinion....

....the Premier League will realise that by docking the shite 10 points (correctly) that if and when they get around to dealing with City, if they find them guilty they'll have to apply a similar punishment for each charge they're found guilty of. Even if they only find them guilty of 5 for instance, that's 50 points.

City's owners and their lawyers will haul the PL over the fucking coals for years appealing any such punishment. They have almost indefinite resources to do so, and such an action could easily destroy the fabric of the league, and lead to breakaway competitions being formed, which would ultimately bankrupt the PL.

They'll want to avoid that at all costs, hence why I think the punishment will be reversed. They'll probably suspend the points deduction for 2-5 years.

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

By dickheads shining lights onto buildings in Liverpool.

Course not, but as I've stated in my other post, they'll want to avoid a long term fight with City when they deal with their charges, so to avoid a precedent being set they'll give the points back.

Just now, Wezza said:

The original panel and appeal panel are supposed to be independent of the Premier League (I’m not completely naive) and all findings should be released (but we shall see)

I hope they are independent as it gives the greatest chance of all guilty parties getting the punishments they deserve, and of any appeals being denied.

But with the amount of money involved I just can't see it.

Just now, Creator Supreme said:

In my humble opinion....

....the Premier League will realise that by docking the shite 10 points (correctly) that if and when they get around to dealing with City, if they find them guilty they'll have to apply a similar punishment for each charge they're found guilty of. Even if they only find them guilty of 5 for instance, that's 50 points.

I could be wrong, but I thought the charges City are being investigated for are different to those Everton have been found guilty of.  That leaves the Premier League the option of - if they actually find City guilty of anything - imposing penalties without any reference to the penalty meted out to Everton.

• Upvote 2

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I could be wrong, but I thought the charges City are being investigated for are different to those Everton have been found guilty of.  That leaves the Premier League the option of - if they actually find City guilty of anything - imposing penalties without any reference to the penalty meted out to Everton.

I think most of the charges are not the same as Evertons, but I'm sure I read the other day that a small number (5-7 maybe) are PSR breaches which is the breach Everton had.

Imaging docking City 70 points? While wonderful for us, and well deserved (Peps baldy little head might burst), they're lawyers would have an appeal in before the deduction was announced.

9 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

In my humble opinion....

City's owners and their lawyers will haul the PL over the fucking coals for years appealing any such punishment. They have almost indefinite resources to do so, and such an action could easily destroy the fabric of the league, and lead to breakaway competitions being formed, which would ultimately bankrupt the PL.

They'll want to avoid that at all costs, hence why I think the punishment will be reversed. They'll probably suspend the points deduction for 2-5 years.

They have not been docked 10pts for each charge. Its a set points per million over the FFP threshold. 

City punishment, if any will be completely different

Though i do reckon they'll get some points back after the MPs cryarsing it in for votes

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

If Everton get points back it will only be to go softer on City. The PL will give them  bonus not a fine. If City don’t get hammered the other teams need to threaten a mutiny as football will be finally done. 

If City get away clean added to blue cards and fucking VAR i might actually be able to fuck it all off soon

The game has gone to shit, much like most sports with the oil money buying up sport and the nonsense on and off the field with actual punditry and analysing the game got rid of in favour of social media knobheads and 'bantz'

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If City get away clean added to blue cards and fucking VAR i might actually be able to fuck it all off soon

The game has gone to shit, much like most sports with the oil money buying up sport and the nonsense on and off the field with actual punditry and analysing the game got rid of in favour of social media knobheads and 'bantz'

This could actually help break our addiction, which in the long run may be no bad thing.

32 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

It’s only getting worse, nowhere near a working man’s game anymore.