You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

This city really needs to look at why Durban dropped out, before it pisses away money it hasn't got.

Walked past my local library yesterday and there was an old woman in a wheelchair in front; on the railings behind was a sewn banner which said 'save Sefton park library'.

In principle I have no problem with the bid or even the council helping Everton build a stadium. It seems though that the council hasn't got the money to keep library's and other services a going concern so how is it going to be able to pay for the common wealth games.

It's not just a new stadium that needs to be built you also need a velodrome as well as gymnastics and swimming pool needing to be built and doing they also need to build accommodation for athletes as well.

Walked past my local library yesterday and there was an old woman in a wheelchair in front; on the railings behind was a sewn banner which said 'save Sefton park library'.

In principle I have no problem with the bid or even the council helping Everton build a stadium. It seems though that the council hasn't got the money to keep library's and other services a going concern so how is it going to be able to pay for the common wealth games.

It's not just a new stadium that needs to be built you also need a velodrome as well as gymnastics and swimming pool needing to be built and doing they also need to build accommodation for athletes as well.

It's taken over 30 years to figure out what to do with the legacy of the International Garden Festival. What the fuck are we supposed to do with all the white elephants this would create?

Seriously, Everton are the least of my concerns when it comes to this vainglorious madness.

• Upvote 5

It's taken over 30 years to figure out what to do with the legacy of the International Garden Festival. What the fuck are we supposed to do with all the white elephants this would create?

Seriously, Everton are the least of my concerns when it comes to this vainglorious madness.

I remember the Garden Festival was boss at the time! I was only 8 though.

Good Friday does not get better than the use of 'vanglorious' on an Internet forum. Terrific sir.

*doffs cap

Has anyone seen the mural of Neville Southall on the church that faces the junction of Westminster Road and Bradwell Road(the one that leads away from Tommy Frost)?

Talk about the hand of god - some tight twat has put the hands of Jeremy Beadle on the poor cunt. It's all so very Everton in its shitness. 

Has anyone seen the mural of Neville Southall on the church that faces the junction of Westminster Road and Bradwell Road(the one that leads away from Tommy Frost)?

Talk about the hand of god - some tight twat has put the hands of Jeremy Beadle on the poor cunt. It's all so very Everton in its shitness. 

They'd need the Anglican Cathedral to fit Nev's arse on these days.

• Upvote 1

Koeman really is a cold, emotionless character. He has absolutely no intention of forming a bond for the club he works for or the city they play for. Kind of explains why he doesn't stay at one club for too long.

Has he done something new to make you say that, or just a general observation?

The biggest problem with anything legacy, is manchester has done all this before. They have the velodrome etc, anything that could have been retained and created a legacy that differentiated the city and allowed some national significance, has gone to them already.

I don't see what we could do or build that brings value to anything but the couple of weeks it's on and Everton football club. Maybe Everton Park would get an upgraded swimming pool. Big deal. This is clearly no more than a vanity project for Boss Hog and him trying to do his club the favour of all favours.

Any Games-standard facilities for minority sports - round here that means pretty much anything other than football, cricket or rugby league - would be white elephants if there are existing facilities elsewhere in the northwest.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/manchester-commonwealth-games-2002-legacy-7423361

Manchester already has:-

• Regional Athletics Arena
  • Aquatics Centre
  • National Squash Centre
  • Table Tennis Centre
  • Heaton Park Bowling
  • Belle Vue Leisure Centre (Hockey)
  • Velodrome

Some events (the gymnastics and the fighty stuff) could be held at the Echo Arena, but most of any "Liverpool" Commonwealth Games would most sensibly be staged 35 miles up the road.

Or, better still, not staged at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aj3KZa1ZCM

• Upvote 2