You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

In general, much as I enjoy having a joke at Everton expense as much as the next Liverpool fan, I do miss the days when we were the best two teams in the country. Now, that's not going to happen again any time soon, but a strong Liverpool team and a strong Everton team is OK by me. Bring it on. Even though we've not been all that ourselves for a long time, Everton have plummeted further, and I think the gap between the sides has caused the bitterness to grow. While we've been way below what we were, we've still had a few world class players and we have still been relevant (some seasons that's been debatable to be fair) and we've still won some trophies, with Istanbul chief among them.

We had our own problems with the previous owners but now the ship has steadied and we have a good football man in charge who looks like he is trying to build something here. I hope Everton improve their lot too.

As for the stadium deal, I don't know enough about it, but at face value it seems odd to have the council guarantee the loan. Services are being cut left, right and centre, and it seems an odd thing for the council to do. The PR needs some work, as the benefits to council tax payers in he region need to be highlighted, or else it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

If it turns out the council will make a lot of money, and that money will then go to improve the services in the area, THAT should be highlighted.

As for the possible risk, that should be clear too. What happens if the football bubble bursts? What happens if online viewing takes over, and the tv deals dry up? What happens if it's hard to monetize so revenue shrinks? What happens if Everton are relegated? What happens if their owners are crooks? Lots of variables, but if the money is being guaranteed by the council, it is actually being guaranteed by the PEOPLE, so what is their reward for doing so, and what is the risk?

A lot of questions need to be answered clearly, but generally, so long as it's all above board, good luck to Everton. I don't want them to be better than us, but I do want to see two strong teams from the city.

This is what I don't understand. He obviously isn't as rich as everyone thinks. He just doesn't want to put any of his own money into the club at all yet is viewed as a messiah.

all wealthy people like to spend other people's money, why would they risk their own? even our owners after saying they would fund the new stand from their reserves, chose to borrow it instead. 

What strikes me regarding this farce that will be the site for this new stadium is its location. There just no access for 50,000 people all turning if they ever get that many in.

There's an old dock road with Great Howard Street running parallel to it. Then you have Boundary Street running directly away. There's fuck all parking for cars and coaches not to mention the street vendors and the like because its in the middle of the dock area.

Where are the hordes going to park up? How are they going to police the oppos fans getting in and out if everyone is going the same way in and out?

I really dont see this idea floating.

• Downvote 1

What strikes me regarding this farce that will be the site for this new stadium is its location. There just no access for 50,000 people all turning if they ever get that many in.

There's an old dock road with Great Howard Street running parallel to it. Then you have Boundary Street running directly away. There's fuck all parking for cars and coaches not to mention the street vendors and the like because its in the middle of the dock area.

Where are the hordes going to park up? How are they going to police the oppos fans getting in and out if everyone is going the same way in and out?

They won't be turning up in cars they're all locals; they can walk to the stadium.

all wealthy people like to spend other people's money, why would they risk their own? even our owners after saying they would fund the new stand from their reserves, chose to borrow it instead.

Aren't they just charging a nominal interest fee mate ? Atleast we did it without going cap in hand to a struggling Council.

That said certain parties will be gaining from it no doubt. More Greggs shares perhaps.

They've got that base covered - they're getting the company in who planned and designed Switch Island, to cover the highways section of the project. 

We hope!

• Upvote 1

They've got that base covered - they're getting the company in who planned and designed Switch Island, to cover the highways section of the project. 

We hope!

Haha, that'll work! They've remodelled Switch at least 6 times to my knowledge and its still fucking carnage at peak times.

• Downvote 1