You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

2 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Moans about Everton getting shit sponsorship deals compared to Liverpool yet they call Liverpool a "tourist club" and revel in their local only support. 

You have to win stuff to get the big deals with the big companies(unless your are City who just make it up as they go along) and its pointless parading your cuckoo clock and pointless 'firsts' as proof of success.

2 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I used to take a peek at their forums, comparing that mentally with this thread, even when it comes to taking the piss we are miles ahead of them. Not to mention the facts stated here time and time again. 

They don't exist on their forums mate. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Moans about Everton getting shit sponsorship deals compared to Liverpool yet they call Liverpool a "tourist club" and revel in their local only support. 

It's all bollocks. The fundamental difference between the two clubs in the last five years is that both had great managers, one fell in love with his club (as did his wife) and the other had a nervous breakdown and fled in the middle of the night because they were so shit. 

• Upvote 1

Someone on that thread points out no use comparing to us - and mentions southampton and asks how do their deals compare.

The response from the esk sums up everything that is wrong with their delusion....Southampton are abolsutely their peers and have been for years now.

You make my point for me Paul. Why are we not competing in Europe, winning trophies? Not in a million years will I settle for being compared with Southampton (with due respect to them)

12 minutes ago, an tha said:

Someone on that thread points out no use comparing to us - and mentions southampton and asks how do their deals compare.

The response from the esk sums up everything that is wrong with their delusion....Southampton are abolsutely their peers and have been for years now.

You make my point for me Paul. Why are we not competing in Europe, winning trophies? Not in a million years will I settle for being compared with Southampton (with due respect to them)

They're a bigger club than Southampton imo. But it's not unreasonable to compare them to West ham, villa or Leeds. 

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They're a bigger club than Southampton imo. But it's not unreasonable to compare them to West ham, villa or Leeds. 

In terms of commercial deals i'd say southampton are of a very similar status.

On tv about the same over course of season - finish in similar positions in table.

Everton probably have a bit more support worldwide.

But for me in terms of being attractive to sponsors i'd say there is very little between the two clubs.

Frankly there is very little between most of the league after the 'big 6'

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, an tha said:

On tv about the same over course of season - finish in similar positions in table.

But for me in terms of being attractive to sponsors i'd say there is very little between the two clubs.

I think world wide support makes a difference to sponsors, I also think as does fans in this country, and there just must be more Everton fans here too. I've not checked either of them for social media followers (I might in a minute!) but again, I would expect Everton to have more and that to be more important to sponsors. 

I agree outside the top 6 there's not a lot to choose. And TV money I would expect to be similar the way Everton have been playing, but I'm sure that would change pretty quickly should they get their act together as spurs have done over the last dozen years. 

I would say if Everton can only match Southampton commercially, they're doing something wrong. 

46 minutes ago, an tha said:

Just found this quickly on social media. Dunno how true this is or how it tracks active users, bots etc.(if it does.any of that). 

It's hard to believe we're behind Chelsea and city are not far behind us and ahead of arsenal and spurs. 

Screenshot_2022-07-14-22-46-47-38_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

50 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Just found this quickly on social media. Dunno how true this is or how it tracks active users, bots etc.(if it does.any of that). 

It's hard to believe we're behind Chelsea and city are not far behind us and ahead of arsenal and spurs. 

I refuse to believe any side in the PL had more 'fans' than us - the mancs aside.

We have fans everywhere.

I was watching old episodes of a bbc show called Skint the other day - followed people on benefits and homeless etc.

There was a fella from Bristol who was lo and behold an LFC fan, a lad from Brum - again an LFC fan and a girl from Brum and her kids had LFC shirts.

When i moved to London i met loads of LFC fans, at work there were easily as many LFC fans as there were any of the London clubs.

I see it when travelling to games that we have masses of people from all over - i think our 'social media numbers' are a bit lower because of the age profile of a lot of our fans.

We obviously picked up loads from our success in the 80's and those people would now be about 50 and i just think that age group are less active on these platforms they measure the above numbers from.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

I refuse to believe any side in the PL had more 'fans' than us - the mancs aside.

We have fans everywhere.

I was watching old episodes of a bbc show called Skint the other day - followed people on benefits and homeless etc.

There was a fella from Bristol who was lo and behold an LFC fan, a lad from Brum - again an LFC fan and a girl from Brum and her kids had LFC shirts.

When i moved to London i met loads of LFC fans, at work there were easily as many LFC fans as there were any of the London clubs.

I see it when travelling to games that we have masses of people from all over - i think our 'social media numbers' are a bit lower because of the age profile of a lot of our fans.

We obviously picked up loads from our success in the 80's and those people would now be about 50 and i just think that age group are less active on these platforms they measure the above numbers from.

You could be right about that. I fit that age group and I'm not on any of those platforms! However the reason we'll be at 100m is because it's global, so I don't know if our UK experiences help understand that. I don't know how likely it is if these numbers are real or not globally - through the growth of these platforms, Chelsea and more recently city have been more successful than us. But it wouldn't be a stretch to think both Chelsea and city would have bots following them to enable them to justify some of the sponsorship deals they generate - or even trick genuine sponsors. 

32 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You could be right about that. I fit that age group and I'm not on any of those platforms! However the reason we'll be at 100m is because it's global, so I don't know if our UK experiences help understand that. I don't know how likely it is if these numbers are real or not globally - through the growth of these platforms, Chelsea and more recently city have been more successful than us. But it wouldn't be a stretch to think both Chelsea and city would have bots following them to enable them to justify some of the sponsorship deals they generate - or even trick genuine sponsors. 

Worldwide does change narrative and it is inevitable that the teams who have won the most in the social media growth era will have the most followers - especially on a worldwide basis, it really is the ultimate in 'glory hunting' isn't it.

I also feel (just a gut feel) that we were a bit shite at the whole social media thing when it all really got going and we have been playing catch up with the mancs and maybe even Chelsea and Arsenal in that respect.....we've probably been faster growing than them in recent times, but the were better at it than us for a while and attracted numbers greater than us for a while.

As i say just a gut feel.

I had a quick look on twitter...Everton have 2.8m followers, Southampton 1.5m

We have 21.3m.

7 hours ago, an tha said:

Worldwide does change narrative and it is inevitable that the teams who have won the most in the social media growth era will have the most followers - especially on a worldwide basis, it really is the ultimate in 'glory hunting' isn't it.

I also feel (just a gut feel) that we were a bit shite at the whole social media thing when it all really got going and we have been playing catch up with the mancs and maybe even Chelsea and Arsenal in that respect.....we've probably been faster growing than them in recent times, but the were better at it than us for a while and attracted numbers greater than us for a while.

As i say just a gut feel.

I had a quick look on twitter...Everton have 2.8m followers, Southampton 1.5m

We have 21.3m.

The trouble too with followers, it's an accumulation thing. So if someone follows in 2007 or something, then they're still there. Yet in large parts of the world they swing where the players move in many cases. So when we weren't successful, we probably didn't attract followers as we didn't attract players. It'd be interesting to see Everton's numbers before and after James.my guess is they got a bit of a spike off him, but that won't have gone as many people won't unfollow. 

I think maybe too as we don't ever sign anyone who has a massive following when we get them, that is probably a real life impact. As an example our 2 big summer signings - haaland 17m in Instagram, Nunez just 1.3m. Again, bots may play a big part of that (It feels incredible haaland has 6m more followers than Mane for example), but these type of numbers must work for sponsors. 

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Newcastle, Leeds and WHU are definitely more attractive than Everton under any criteria.

Leeds have the same crumbling ground issues. 

There is plenty of space round Elland Rd to redevelop though.

10 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Now this is what football’s all about

• Upvote 1